“Wonderful Stay - Highly recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Carvoeiro Sol

Hotel Carvoeiro Sol
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful Stay - Highly recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here in July and would definitely stay again. Although quite basic the rooms are very clean and we had a huge balcony to ourselves which was great. The aircon was a blessing as it was extremely hot and the location is amazing as it is sooo close to the beach - it actually couldnt get any closer as it would be on the beach otherwise! The staff were friendly and courteous and nothing was too much trouble. I must have drove them mad as I was constantly asking for ice, glasses and corkscrews to take up to the room for drinks :) I would definitely stay there again. The only downfall and it is of no reflection to the hotel really is the continental buffet as it wasnt great but every hotel I've stayed in is the same.

Room Tip: I slept like a baby most nights but going by other visitors' comments I'd say ask for a cour...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoisEvans1979

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
DE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I booked this hotel very early and asked them to re-confirm my stay 3 days prior to arrival to be on the safe side. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the reply: the hotel was closed due to lack of bookings (it was end October), so booked guests were asked to go to Holiday Inn in Armacao de Pera. Just imagine, you've booked beautiful Carvoeiro but they transfer you to such a miserable looking location as Armacao. The hotel in Carvoeiro was indeed completely closed, an announcement on the door informed that arriving guests have to call a number. Means that guests who don't care about a re-confirmation are faced with the facts upon arrival in Carvoeiro. What an unbelievable audacity! I rejected going to Armacao, made the hotel book another accommodation of my choice in Carvoeiro and they did it promptly without negotiation. I haven't been inside the hotel but I could look into the ground floor rooms from outside, they seem to be good equipped. The result of my external inspection was however that rooms which are promoted as "not facing the sea", face a busy street, and ground floor guests live literally on the street which is very indiscrete. Those rooms have rather high concrete balcony walls and are thus dark. You can see it well via Google street view. Rooms facing the sea are not so quiet either. Believe me that I am writing this not as revenge for the hotel denial to accomodate me, I inspected the location and these are real facts so I am even happy that I had to stay in another structure. There are some guest houses in Carvoeiro which are better located and also bearable priced, so in my opinion, in respect to the audacity of Carvoeiro Sol management, there is no reason to book their hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Andy A

Travellers are raving about these Carvoeiro hotels

newcastle, england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Situated very centrally for all the bars and restuarants of this pretty little village, the staff are friendly and the breakfast is substantial. The furnishings are a little tired but the room rates are good value, particularly outside the 6-8 bustiest weeks of summer, Probably over rated at 4 stars but somewhere I'd be happy to recommend for a short stay,

Room Tip: try to get a sea view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nora P
Hotel C, Director of Sales at Hotel Carvoeiro Sol, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay at our Hotel.

The hotel is 3 star, not 4 star, we very much appreciate your comments and your recommendation.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel Carvoeiro Sol.

Kindest regards

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

After staying twice a year for the past three years, we rated this hotel as our favourite but this last trip we felt that the hotel had changed, the usual staff were not there and it was being run by younger inexperienced staff. Hence, we went elsewhere for breakfast. Although cleanliness was not up to tip top standards we always took this into account as the hotel was in a prime situation and this was what we liked. However, on our last day my husbands telephone was stolen out of our room, we reported it to reception and then asked for the police as we needed an incident number for our insurance. Although the hotel agreed with us that it was a certain member of staff we were then made to feel that we were wrong and had misplaced the telephone. The police were totally useless and said the report would be ready at 10 pm 5 hrs after we reported it, my husband went to the station to be told that it wouldn't be ready for another 30mins when he then went for it 45mins later it still had not been done , he then waited another 30 mins for it to be completed. The police are totally useless and the hotel protected their staff even though they and the police were convinced who the culprit was.
After many happy times there we will never go there again as they have dumbed down on their staff and therefore they can never be trusted again
Go with extreme caution as they have now been allocated with 3stars as opposed to 4stars although the rooms and the service were not 4stars the staff were. CAUTION BEWARE of thieving .

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ahfjones
Hotel C, Director of Sales at Hotel Carvoeiro Sol, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
We are very sorry to read your review.

We apologise again for the fact that this incident occurred, and that you feel that the situation was not resolved in the correct manner.

We have recontacted the police, however, there is still no further information about your mobile phone. They advise us they will immediately contact us, and you, when some new information is available.

Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

This hotel pretends to be 4 star one as all inside is marked as 4 star and I've seen it on some adds too.
This hotel might be hardly rated as 3 star one.
Going there we've been aware that it has only 3 stars, but didn't expect what we've experienced.

On the positive side, on the first night when we've arrived, we've been warmly welcomed by youngest receptionist. Such great level of service hasn't been seen by me even at 5 star hotels.

Now, going to more details, if you count on breakfast at the hotel, forget it. It ought to be English breakfast, but it's tasteless and even orange juice doesn't have a taste. It's like orange water and far to the taste of nectar or whatsoever. Same is with rest of breakfast. Cheese only looks like cheese, scrambled eggs where with something inside and made of artificial eggs and so on so.
We've ended up going out for breakfast.

Parking lot has only 8-9 places and it serves on the rule first come, first in. You'll have to ask for key at reception each time.

There's no fridge at the room. Beds are not very comfortable but are acceptable. Being couple with requested doublebed room and got twin room.

Having said all of above, hotel is in perfect location just 50 meters off the Carvoeiro beach which happens to be full of people with kids during high season.

Would I recommend this hotel to someone? Hard to say, haven't been at the other in Portugal, but food is awful there.

And when more note, one day I've went down to reception asking for an ice, the old man at reception has sent me to swimming pool bar even if I've said that there's no ice and it has to be taken from the bar just behind reception. Either way I've been forced to go to swimming pool, ask for ice. The girl at the bar (same one which sometimes was at the reception too) was disappointed and said that obviously she hasn't any ice there and will go with me to the other bar. Then they've had short argument between each other.

I do not expect really a lot, but a bit of service attitude would be nice to see at this hotel. Also the staff at the "restaurant" during breakfast wasn't neither polite nor rude, just there's no notion of service attitude.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 4Traveller
Thank you for reviewing the Hotel Carvoeiro Sol.

We appreciate your feedback, as it enables us to investigate each issue and ensure that similar situations do not arise. These are not the standards that we aim for, nor those that we normally achieve.

We hope you will return in the future, and we will, hopefully, have the opportunity to redeem our reputation.

Marlow, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We have had short stays here a few times over the years before we moved on to our villa. We stayed B+B as there are so many places to eat near by. The rooms are basic but clean. Great location and the staff are great very helpful, making you feel very welcome.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 50susan1212
HolidayInnAlgarve, Director of Sales at Hotel Carvoeiro Sol, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Good morning Susan,

Thank you for reviewing the Hotel Carvoeiro Sol here on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stays at the Hotel and we very much appreciate your comments

Kind Regards
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

From the moment we entered the Hotel to the moment we left every single one off the staff took
pride in what they do an looked after us impeccably as Riccardo in the restuarant /bar told us if you require something just ask if it can be done it will be. Patricia, Joanne Patricia & David at the front desk. Riccardo and Rebecca in the restuarant/bar/snack bar. Sonia, Nadia and all the other cleaners where spot on. So as far as my husband & I were concerned we had no problems whatesoever the little things we did have where sorted right away. Yes it could do with some updating but your staying in a very clean friendly Hotel. Remember what I said ask if possible you will get it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnAlgarve, Director of Sales at Hotel Carvoeiro Sol, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay at the Hotel Carvoeiro Sol. Your kind comments about the staff and service have been passed on to the team.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your holiday, and hope it is not too long before you return here.

Kindest regards