“Another great visit to this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tivoli Carvoeiro

Tivoli Carvoeiro
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Middlesbrough
“Another great visit to this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We booked a week at this hotel after having a really good time there in 2012 , I booked a sea view room and e mailed prior to my arrival asking for a room on the 5th floor we were allocated the same room we had in 2012 room 510 , we were amused to note the room had the same defects it had in 2012 i.e the AC didnt work , This was`nt to great a problem in Late October but I wouldnt have been able to stand it in say July/August
We used the hotel as usual for touring the Algarve
the hotel setting and views are amazing , front desk staff very freindly and helpful
The breakfasts are fine I mainly asked for a cheese and ham omlette
We tried a few differant restaraunts this year Ela Ele was very nice as was A Rede
we walked into town via the cliff route which has great views
remember to join GHA its free and gets you a free daily newspaper and free Wi Fi
seem we had a lucky escape as we did exactly what Paul from rishton did at the intermanche
we even noticed the broken glass in the car park
We had another grat week and are going to go back next year , But thanks for the heads up Paul I will leave my wife in the car next year

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed for just one night (a work trip) in november 2013 and was really impressed with this hotel. I was lucky to be upgraded to a sea view room, the room was clean and comfortable with the most amazing view of the sea and the cave. I had a late lunch at the restaurant and had the tastiest sea bass I have ever had! The cliff path runs in front of the hotel giving beautiful views of the coast!I will definately go back for a holiday!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed with my boyfriend at the hotel for a week in September. I have read many room tips re "must upgrade to SV room otherwise is just no point to go etc". We did ask for an upgrade but fortunately there were no SV rooms available. Majority of SV rooms are facing the pools therefore if you want to use balcony then you need to be prepared you are walking into crowd of viewers. Our room was facing the sport area which was always empty so our balcony was always peaceful and quiet.

Hotel has a stunning location, one of the best I have seen. It is located on top of the cliff and views are spectacular.

There is a little beach in front of the hotel however it is only for the fittest- it’s quite difficult to get there (trek down the cliff stairs plus a 1 metre jump, on the way back a climb with a help on tiny rope). Beach is lovely but is very small plus if sea is “angry” it completely covers it so there is no beach.

Town is nice but bit boring and very touristy. I did not even hear much of Portuguese anywhere. Every restaurant serves exactly the same food but just prices it differently. The way to town is steep so take comfortable shoes (or wear high heels and take a pair of flip flops for the way back like I did!:)).

I would recommend the Mungos bar for drinks and some dancing and the restaurants are all pretty much the same.

Hotel rooms are spacious and so are the balconies however they are very worn out. A bit of renovation would help but the views make up for it (who stays in the room anyway?)
Beach in town is lovely, you can rent umbrellas. Be prepared if you like to drink beer on the beach as they do not sell alcohol however you can buy a can it in the nearest shop for less than €1.

We took 2 excursions- sand city (definitely wrth seeing) and pirate boat –amazing but only if you have strong stomach! Half of people were sick on the boat as it was rocking so hard. Neither of us was sick so we enjoyed it. Boat is just stunning- like a real pirate boat!

There is one thing you must not miss; take a trek along the cliff towards the town. Keep on walking and admire stunning views. You will get to a point with an amazing natural selection of pools surrounded by cliffs and grottos. You can have a swim, take amazing pictures and afterwards cool yourself down with an icy cold drink at the lovely pub there- Boneca bar (google it!). After that you can just keep on walking for 5 min along the coast (on the road) until you get to the town beach Ta dah! You can just wear your swimwear along that way.

Room Tip: Take SV if you don't mind having no privacy, if you do then don't.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Magdalena K
South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Arrived for a week of relaxation, and this is what we got. The staff at the front desk were very helpfull and explained everything to us, such as the safe being 15 euro for the week, which we paid for and we were given a barrell with a key in it, which you inserted into the safe in the room. We found the room clean and comfortable, and the coffee and milk replenished every day.The outside pool was a little cold so we used the indoor one which we had to ourselves most of the time.The hotel is in a lovely setting, we were on the 6th floor overlooking the pool. As I said in the title, there is one thing that I would change and that is the food. Breakfast was passable, although after the first morning I didn't have a cooked breakfast again, the bacon was like rubber , the scrambled eggs you could cut out a wedge it was so compacted, then you had the toast , and fresh fruit, ham and cheese. We got by, we didn't starve. The evening meal is a different story. The first night we were there , we arrived late so went straight into the restaurant to eat, we were the only ones there, it was 9 15. We assumed that it was because it was late. The following night we ate around 7.30pm there was one other table taken, and this was the case for the rest of the week, it did get up to 5 tables one night and we ate at all different times. The food was soup, salad, which was the same every night, grated carrott, beetroot, tomatoes, cucumber, lettice, sweetcorn and rice, and then a choice of 2 meat, 2 fish, and 2 vegetables. What they did to potatoes I do not know , we had chips one night which were dry and like rubber as if they had been kept warm a long time but that evening we ate 15 minutes after the restaurant opened. Dessert was either ice cream, fresh fruit, or a choice of about 3 little cakes. As there wasn't a lot of people booked in for the evening meal, the food were in little bowls, it looked very sad. We noticed a few times that new guests would come to the door and the waiter would invite them in to look at the food, after showing them what was on offer, they were unimpressed, so he gave them the menu to look at, but they still didn't eat there. The evening meal was 22 euro each, and if we hadn't already booked half board, we wouldn't have eaten there again. On the last night I couldn't bring myself to eat the salad, I was so fed up with it, I just had the soup which was cauliflower, and fresh fruit.
Apart from the food we liked the hotel, staff were pleasant, and location was perfect.

Room Tip: Go bed and breakfast, there are a lot of places to eat and seemed quite reasonable.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SouthWalesSunseeker
rishton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I am writing this review under the heading of the hotel but it is to warn travellers of what can go wrong and if I can help prevent other holidaymakers of suffering what happened to ourselves it will be worthwhile. This was our second visit to the hotel and area having visited last year. The hotel was just as good cleanliness/location/staff first class However our holiday experience not so! We arrived at Faro airport and collected our hire car no problems.On the way into Carvoeiro we decided to stop at the Intermarche supermarket to collect a few provisions for the room. This was in the middle of the afternoon and parked on a busy car park not in an isolated position with many people around. We were inside approx 10/15 mins and on our return to our car found the window had been smashed and bags taken along with passports/driving licences goods to the value of £1500. These were all in a locked boot not in view. Yes I know we should have not left things in the car, yes I know one of us should have stayed with the car and yes I know this could happen anywhere(however I believe this is rife in the Algarve at present) but hindsight is a great thing. We had been in the country 2 hours and lost most things. You can imagine the problems this caused not least having to get emergency passports from the embassy to return. The staff at the hotel were marvellous and we would like to personally thank the lady on reception who had the great idea of reprinting our passport details which were on computer from our last visit which helped when we went to the embassy. Please do not let put this you off going BUT please be more crime aware than we were.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank paulukRishton
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

The hotel was excellent , service superb and quality of food was good. The variety of foods at breakfast was excellent and you could always find something that suited the pallet. We were on B&B basis so I didn't see the evening menus.
Watch out for the 20% discount on bar between 6 & 8 .
Indoor pool was good , outdoor possibly a bit too cool
Local town Carvoeiro is a five minute walk. Restaurants and pubs nearest to the hotel are cheaper than further down the town. Plenty of variety and quality.

Room Tip: If you like sun in the afternoon , look for a room with a pool view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter J
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

we just spend a week in this hotel. Essentially it would be very difficult to disagree with the other reviewers in terms of the location of the hotel.
The views are breathtaking from the sea facing rooms and that would be a must.

However the hotel is in great danger of over relying on its location to maintain its ranking on tripadvisor.
I had a number of issues and i must admit that some of these could have been purely down to my personal preference. But if you read through some of the other reviews you will notice that a pattern emerges and many of these have been highlighted before.

To start with the breakfast was middling. There is a good selection of breads but the croissants were hard and crumbly. The hot food included greasy scrambled and fried eggs. Boiled eggs. And strips of deep fried bacon. Thats it. There were some cold meats available along with a selection of chewy cheese. Lots of yoghurt and fruit however...

The rooms arent cleaned regularly, the coffee isnt replenished and we had to ask them to do so after a couple of days of waiting. A lot of superficial cleaning is done but you know that the if the bedcovers havent been moved from beside the bed and the glasses and coffee cups are as you left them there is something wrong.

The rooms are very dated. The A/C doesn't work. Which is alright at night but not during the heat of the day. It however makes a great effort in making its presence felt judging by how noisy it is.

You have to carry your valuables with you all the time despite there being a safe. Why i hear you ask? Because the safe has no locks...

We heeded the advice of the other travellers and became "Gold members" of the Tivoli group. This is free and in doing so you get free WIFI for 2 devices per room. You also get ONE bottle of water (not one per day). I mention this because i assumed the latter and got charged 3 euros per bottle. However i did make a fuss and to be fair they didnt charge me eventually for it.
You also get a free paper although i didnt see even one during my stay.

DO NOT lose your pool towels or you will be charged 50 Euros...I got so put off by this that i didnt take them after the first day.

Remember its a 4 star hotel. Maybe i expected more. You can decide however for yourself how much of the above is acceptable to you.

I would go back to this hotel however after reducing my expectations a bit. Like i mentioned before the view is just incredible.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family