After booking the wrong hotel last year, (the Sol), my wife trusted me enough to have another go, and, second time lucky, we arrived at the Tivoli just after Christmas to enjoy a few days of rest and relaxation, interspersed with plenty of long walks. We were not disappointed by any aspect of the hotel, and received exactly what we requested, i.e. a double-bedded room with a spectacular sea view from our balcony, and no hint of a smoker having been near the place.
In line with last year, the weather was generally good; a couple of days of rain, and a good deal of warmth and sunshine. One good feature of the Tivoli is that if it does rain, you don't feel like an extra in 'Key Largo', as there are numerous lounge areas where one can relax in comfort.
The bedroom was comfortable, the service was good, and the buffet breakfast was just as one would expect - chewy bacon, lukewarm eggs, dodgy sausages and a toaster that seemed to make the bread even paler. There were, however, many alternatives to choose from, and who wants to eat bacon and egg on your holiday anyway? We found that a Mista toastie at the Imprevisto bar at about 2 p.m. was all that was needed to keep us going until dinner.
We decided not to eat at the hotel buffet in the evenings, preferring to walk down into the town and try a different restaurant each evening, with mixed results. They say that one should never go back to somewhere that has impressed in the past, but we had to try O Tasco again, and enjoyed good food and service for a second time. Repeat visits, to the Chinese restaurant at the bottom of the hill, and A Galeria, were not as good, and in the case of the latter, disastrous, with the Fawltyesque owner,(with mobile strapped to ear), presiding over poor, slow service, cold food, and a visit from the local SWAT team! (They were trying to placate a group of a dozen irate diners, whose booking had clearly been lost in the ozone!) Thank goodness for the toastie!
Most days, we left the hotel after breakfast, and turned left. On New Years Day, we went to the right; and ten minutes later, were in the next cove, enjoying equally spectacular views, this time down at sea level. Fantastic! If you decide to take a stroll from Monte Carvoeiro towards Ferragudo, save yourself twenty minutes, and take a short cut via the Quinta Paraiso Park, and follow the signposts for scuba club and supermarket ( not in the same building), admiring the lovely villas on the way. I am sure that the folk at the park will not mind, provided you purchase a property!
If you are without transport, the local bus service to Lagoa gives one access to several local towns, including Silves, which is worth a visit. It is still disconcerting to see the driver on his mobile as he negotiates tight bends, but no-one seems to bother over there, and when not on the phone, the driver will be holding an heated conversation with someone halfway down the bus anyway!
After two New Year visits to Carvoeiro, we love the place, and will return to the hotel(not the Sol) soon. If you haven't been to the Algarve, give it a go, but don't nab our room at the Tivoli.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Algarve is a recognized holiday destination, but also a privileged destination for special meetings and memorable events. In the picturesque village of Carvoeiro, on Vale Covo beach, where the blue sea draws cutouts on the imposing cliffs and the fine sands contrast with the green of the golf courses, Tivoli Carvoeiro is reborn. The high standards of quality and level of service of the Tivoli brand are portrayed in this unique space of architecture aired and open to the horizon, which proves to be the right choice for the best family holidays as well as meeting and differentiating events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tivoli Carvoeiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tivoli Carvoeiro Hotel Carvoeiro
- Tivoli Hotel Carvoeiro
- Carvoeiro Tivoli Hotel
- Hotel Tivoli Almansor
- Tivoli Carvoeiro Portugal - Algarve