“Great family hotel”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Carvoeiro
west lothian
“Great family hotel”
Reviewed 27 July 2007

For one of the cheapest hotels in the small village this hotel matches its 4 star rating. The staff are the most well drilled in the full of portugal and ensure your stay is excellent. The views from the pool and terrace to the beach are superb and lovely at night to sit over a beer and chill the night away. Within 10 minutes walk to the main town it is perfectly located for a nice stroll visit the many resturants on the way!

• Liked — the views from the pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank MrJ0nes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
South Wales
Reviewed 27 July 2007

I have just come back from a week's holiday with my boyfriend. Having read some reviews before we went and comments from others, we were a bit open minded as to what to expect. We needn't have worried at all. The hotel was really clean with maid service every day and the staff were friendly. We booked a room with a sea view and it is well worth paying that bit extra. The Tivoli Almansor is in such a lovely location, sat round by the pool with the cliffs and sea surrounding you was beautiful. We booked bed and breakfast which is all you really need to do as there are loads of restaurants in Carvoeiro much more than we anticipated, even if you stayed there for a fortnight you could eat in a different place every night. We found everyone in Portugal to be friendly. If you go, a good restaurant to go to is A Rede, it is near the top of the hill if you're staying at the bottom or if you're staying at the Tivoli 5 mins away. You really are spoilt for choice if you want lots of places to eat and drink. Some good bars to look out for are Rascals, Charly's (both by the main beach), Brady's, Round Up (fun karaoke bar) and Havana's (lovely Mojitos!) you are spolit for choice really. We really had a lovely relaxing time in the day and ate and drank at night !! Would definitely go back, loved it there !!

• Liked — The view from pool area
  • Disliked — Bathroom Tiles
4 Thank NewportSouthWales
Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2007

We recently stayed at the Tivoli Almansor Hotel for three weeks. Thier private beach is beautiful and great for swimming as it is protected from the wind and strong currents by the bluffs surrounding it. We did notice that the hotel did not clean up garbage on the beach even though it's their private beach and twice there were dead birds on the beach that weren't dealt with by the hotel either. The spa is tiny and in a corner of the basement. The mother and daughter that run it provide great services but because of the limited space and staff most of the time you have to book days in advance which is frustrating. The computer section which they advertise as a buisness station for adults is constantly occupied by kids playing video games day and night. It was very difficult to get time on the computers. The lounge has some great shows. The breakfast buffet is definately not four star quality. It's exactly the same every day and if you come in the last hour they've let the fruit and juices run out, unfortunately we had the breakfast package where it was included in our hotel price..after a couple days we opted to walk into the town for breakfast. Quite honestly none of the food at the hotel is that great. The menu's never change, and there is not a lot of variety. The dinner is the best meal they offer...but still it's a buffet with the majority of the items never changing. They rotate different kinds of chicken, and meats, but everything else is the same day after day. Again it is so much better to walk into town where you can have great authentic meals, and at a third of the cost. The view from the dinning room is nice though as it overlooks the ocean. The rooms are very small, the bathrooms very small, the beds very hard in the sea view rooms. If you want to upgrade to a suite you don't get the view of the sea and the bathroom is just as small. I would rate this hotel more of a three star. The beach is the best thing about it. I wouldn't reccomend staying more than a week there.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — the food
London
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Reading the reviews here I had big expectations of this hotel which it easily met.

It's really worth paying the extra for a sea view, as waking up to the view and sitting on the terrace with a drink at the end of the day listening to the waves crashing on the beach really added to the experience.

We were spoilt for choice with the breakfasts; fresh fruit, cereals, cooked breakfasts, omlettes and waffles made to order, hams and cheeses and about ten different types of bread, and endless drinks all on tap.

It was nice to be able to choose between a sun lounger in the busier area around the pool, or a more private and quieter area facing the sea or tucked away in a corner of the grounds.

The beach is small but there were never more than about 15 people there at any one time anyway. But after about 2pm the tide comes in and the beach totally disappears. There is a lovely beach in the town and another about 5 minutes drive away - and the hotel provides shuttles to both, and theses are much bigger and still have plently of room on them after the tide comes in.

The biggest impression we got from our holiday was how welcoming the staff in the hotel and in the restaurants and bars in the town were. All spoke English and wanted you to try local dishes and were really helpful and accomodating. Try Tia Ilda which is a lovely restaurant in town (up an incline on the right) with a terrace that overlooks the beach and town square below, the location was excellent and food and service to rival top London eateries, at a fraction of the cost! And pay a visit to Innside Cafe - a great cocktail bar! (it's just like being in cocktail the movie, but better!)

A lovely hotel, wonderful loction, great facilities and an added bonus of a small, pretty, and unspoilt village a short walk away.

• Liked — The sea view - but ask for a higher floor the views are better
7 Thank Cordillera
SCOTLAND
Reviewed 18 July 2007

well what can I say. before we went we read mixed reviews of the hotel and were a bit apprehensive! i would give the hotel overall 4/5!! myself and my boyfriend (20) we stayed for 10 nights returning on 8th september 2006

The bus journey from the airport was tiering but to be expected. we were just so excited! driving up to our hotel my boyfriend had butterflies as we passed a strip club he thought, oh no wgere have i taken you!! although we arrived at our hotel and were the only ones to get off the bus!

RECEPTION- staff very friendley and happy to do as they were asked. people said they werent friendley...RUBBISH!! they are and if people have an off day, so what we all do! we were taken to our room and quickley settled in. Our air conditioning was making a buzzing noise so we told reception and they sent a repair man who fixed it immediatley!

ROOM- very clean, fresh towels everyday!! couldnt ask for more and we
had the BEST VIEW ever!!!!

POOL-afew children screaming, but who cares. they are on their holiday. we joined in, jumping in and out of the pool while sunbathing too! very relaxed atmosphere around the pool. the smaller beach is a walk down what feels like hundreds of stairs but believe me, totally worth it when u get to the bottom. the water is nice and warm and the beach is gorgeous! loved it

OTHER STAFF-to be honest, cant complain. everyone was so friendley. they couldnt do enough for you.

OTHER GUESTS- in my opinion they were quite stuck up. the hotel i would say is defo for older people although i would go back because i
felt so comfortable there. some of them, fur coat no knickers. others
were friendley but not many couples our age.

caverio is quite quiet but 15mins in a taxi (if that) takes you to prai de rocha which is alot busier. we went through once during the day for their beach and three times at night as their shops are alot better. a bit more of a buzz but also alot more sleasey men!plus it was a change of atmosphere which was nice! we went for a lovley romantic meal there aswell.

GENERAL! - the hotel is probably the last hotel up which seems a mountain of a hill after lots of drinks!!! there are lots of restaurants/pubs heading down towards the town square. I think we eat in everyone of them!!!! all the food was really nice! if you like
fish, your in the right place!! i dont, but still managed to eat a nice meal! we sat in an irish bar most nights. what a laugh and the staff are all sooo friendley!they only had one irish folk singing night a week which we didnt go to (im not into all that)

OVERALL GREAT HOLIDAY. WOULD DEFO GO BACK!! ONLY COMPLAINT IS ON OUR PART-HOTEL A LITTLE 'OLD' FOR US

• Liked — great views
  • Disliked — breakfast was OK, other guests up themselves!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scotland_c
Colchester
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I looked at some reviews of this hotel before I went. Not expecting much but when I got there we were blown away. The people who gave bad reviews must have stayed in a different hotel, or they just like to moan.
I had no complaints for this hotel what so ever. It was fantastic; the night life wasn’t far if you wanted it. The village was 10 minute walk away, with plenty of restaurants to eat at. Car hire available from the hotel or some businesses in the town.

The beach was lovely, it was small and secluded by the cliffs either side with the houses on each side. It was beautiful the village was truly picturesque and very un-spoilt. The Staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful you could always have a laugh and a joke with them, the pool side was immaculate and was nice an quite, looking at the pool and the sea when your sunbathing it lovely, then you get the old pirates boat (that is a trip I went on) tooting his horn.

The choices of food were lovely, breakfast I ate so much. Omelets and waffles cooked on order, toast, and cold meat, cooked breakfast anything you would want for breakfast, a buffet for dinner as we were half board, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I ate food I normally wouldn’t touch, and it was delicious!
Waiters always there to clear your table and help you, free complimentary champagne one night.

My room was cleaned everyday, the maids were very friendly. Even though the rooms were pretty standard I didn’t mind all I was doing was sleeping in it. You don’t go on holiday to stay in there much. But it was comfortable enough, infact I didn’t want to get out of bed because it was so comfy; watching gmtv in the mornings while I got ready was lovely. Although I do recommend you bring your own hair dryer if you have long hair…it takes a while.

I didn’t have a sea view but I didn’t mind, the view we had was over some hills which was lovely.
Overall I loved this hotel, I loved every minute, ive already booked for next march and I can’t wait im counting down the days already!
I would recommend it to anyone!

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank chelle89uk
London
Reviewed 13 July 2007

Just come back and want to go back!! My boyfriend and I loved the hotel and we were so sad when it was time to leave. Staff were accomodating and the hotel was absolutely lovely. The view was stunning and if you decide to stay I would definitely recommend a sea view. Breakfast was sometimes a bit busy but otherwise everything was perfect. I loved the little private beach and the view from the restaurant and the bar was amazing! I loved the hotel and the atmosphere and I would recommend it to anyone considering a trip to the Algarve! Loved every minute of it!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Nothing