Things started badly when we arrived we were given a ground floor room at the back of the hotel overlooking a 12 ft. chain link fence and gravel with tall dark pines cutting out the light. The terrace was a couple of rows of tiles and white plastic table and 2 chairs stacked in the corner and all covered in dust and pine needles. The room was small and dark and had no windows just a door which couldn't be left open as it was a security risk.The dining room was the worst we have ever experienced for food, decor and service. The restaurant manager seems to have lost the plot. This was supposed to be 4* but resembled a school canteen, plates were scraped into plastic boxes in the dining room, there were no niceties like tablecloths candles or flowers. The staff were too laid back chairs were left scattered the windows were so filthy you couldnt see out of them.The air conditioning wasn't on a high enough setting so that it was unbearably hot and windows were kept closed ( because of mosquitoes)! When we insisted they open a door near us the door was jammed and they bent a knife trying to release the catch., this was a fire exit. Oh dear the list is endless tired decor, 3 choices of food for dinner Lasagne, spongy fish nuggets, and pork medalions resembling rubber rings, ants crawling in a long train to food on the floor that had not been cleaned. Breakfast was even worse streaky bacon swimming in grease fried eggs cooked en masse and stuck to the tray, 3 cerealsto choose from and tinned fruit salad ,. After complaining to the manager we were told this was a 25 year old hotel with a 5 year plan for refurbishment and that times were hard . Well the hotel was full there seemed to be plenty of income and not to many signs of refurbishment. The rest of the hotel was ok the bar area was nicely laid out , the pool was reasonable but not heated. We elected not to eat there although we had paid for half board, so we had a 20 minute arduous walk morning and evening into town, uphill and down dale. The local beach was a steep walk down and an even steeper walk back. And the sea was freezing and doesn't warm up apparently. We went on an interesting excursion by boat to the cliff caves,. Would we go to this hotel again or the Algarve for that matter definitely a big NO!!! Very very disappointed with it all .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in one of the most beautiful places in the Algarve, on a cliff top, the Hotel Baia Cristal offers a peaceful atmosphere with a fantastic sea view. Upon the beach of Vale Centeanes and 1700 m from Carvoeiro beach, this 4 star hotel has 120 rooms. With areas from 36m2 to 55m2, Hotel Baia Cristal has at your disposal 14 Suites sea view, 10 Suites garden view, 38 Rooms sea view and 58 Rooms land view, with Private bathroom, Satellite TV, Individual A/C, Minibar, Safe, Direct dial telephone, Balcony, Tea and Coffee facilities, Kitchenette (only in suites). Hotel Baia Cristal has at your disposal Restaurant Gaivota, a cosy restaurant with beautiful views to the sea. Open for breakfast and dinner with Portuguese and international cuisine; and Bar "Albatroz", a relaxing bar with live music, ideal for enjoying the sunset in the company of a delicious cocktail. The terrace serves meals and snacks throughout the day. During the Summer, there is also Barbeques, where guests can enjoy barbecues by the pool, filled with popular music and dance; and also a Pool Bar "BierGarten", where it is possible to enjoy refreshing drinks throughout the day. For Leisure, there are two outdoor Swimming pools, a kid's club, Tennis court, Giant chess board, Indoor Swimming pool, Sauna, Turkish bath, Fitness room, Massage and body treatment room, Games room (snooker, table football, ping pong and video games). For business purposes, there is Meeting room "Lagoa" with Capacity up to 80 people (8,5m x 10,85m x 2,29m). Other services: 24 Hour reception, Multilingual staff, Tour and information desk, Wireless internet, Live music, Car rental, Private parking, and a Shuttle bus to Carvoeiro. Vale de Centeanes Beach: 300m, Carvoeiro Beach: 1.7 km, Lagoa: 7.5 km, Portimao: 16 km, Faro Airport (FAO): 65 km, Lisbon Airport (LIS): 275 km. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Baia Cristal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baia Cristal Hotel
- Baia Cristal Vale Centianes
- Hotel Baia Cristal Carvoeiro, Portugal - Algarve