“Interesting German restaurant”

Price range: US$6 - US$21
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This was close to our villa so we gave it a try. Clearly German influence and this is reflected in the specialised menu. Not a modern dining experience but the food and service were excellent. A bonus for my daughter to practice German while on holiday in Portugal!

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for 8pm, we arrived and were shown to our table which was outside through patio doors, the restaurant was empty apart from 3 other diners, the decor was very strange and it felt like we were in an old hotel lobby which then seemed more apparent as where we were seated was a swimming pool and apartments.

I did think where the hell had we come but then I couldn't have been so wrong the food was excellent, Martin came and spoke to us about the menu showed us the fresh white john dori and described how he would cook it, he also mentioned about fresh tuna and how that would be done too, the menu itself was rather strange laminated pages held together with string and not that easy to follow.

We decided to have tapas to start which consisted of chick pea pate with bread & sausage, it was very tasty for main we both had the tuna it was rolled in sesame seeds, with a soy, spring onion & orange sauce served with fresh avacado, I can honestly say it was wonderful and made me feel terrible of my 1st impressions of the place, for dessert we shared the chocolate moose which was great.

It did drop cooler later on and blankets were given to us, although I didn't use mine it was a nice touch.

It is obvious that Martin is passionate about food and an excellent chef, you really must visit.....look past it all and enjoy the food,

2  Thank Rookhillstar
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Went for lunch on Saturday and it was practically empty which was surprising as the food is fantastic. Had the delicious black pudding to start followed by lamb which was tender and substantial. Washed down with a carafe of house white at €4,00 this was a most pleasant experience and a welcome addition to the Carvoeiro dining scene.

2  Thank Andy S
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I hope it was a one off we went last year for third time first two visits were very good but their was a party of Berliners in ( German ran but all the better for it ) we arrived at 7.30 and had not had our starter by 9 so we left but party kept receiving courses no one came to us one couple left before us .
Nice balcony nice hosts believe chef host does care and has interest in food
Definitely worth a try
We will try again as we pass it to go down town from our place

1  Thank Martin D
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Martin and Annette made us feel so welcome that we visited several times during our July stay in Carvoeira. The food is second to none and although the menu is limited due to everything being cooked fresh, there is something for all tastes.
This was my first real encounter with German food and I was really impressed.

1  Thank John J