“Totally delivered! ”

Ranked #69 of 345 Restaurants in Faro
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This very popular locals' joint on the harbour in Faro serves up enormous portions of a mind-boggling range of local seafood and fish. Cod, tuna, shellfish - you name it! 3 of us ate starters and mains, washed down with pre-dinner drinks and two bottles of house wine, for about € 120. Not a bad value all considering!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We came to Faro from Punta Umbria in a dull and rainy day and we were eager to find smth special in local cousine. And we've found it here!This restaurant has a big choice of fresh seafood.The service was simply wonderful and the food was delicious!The staff was extremely helpful.Also the view to the small harbor was nice and the atmosphere of this place was relaxing.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

First night in Faro towards the end of November, and we decided to try this restaurant. We were the only people in there until a party of four local people arrived – and that was it for the evening. Such an empty place does, in my opinion, feel rather awkward, but we were ushered in and seated so quickly, and bread put on the table (not asked for, but does appear on the bill) that we decided to just go with it. This restaurant has a large menu, although the first item I requested, sardines, is apparently not good in November and, therefore, not available. We ordered, and then unexpected ‘house’ dishes were placed on our table. A plate of carrots in oil, a plate of tuna in mayonnaise and a beetroot dish. I happily tucked in until I realised I was actually getting quite full before our ordered food had even begun to arrive.

The starters arrived. Both would actually have been ample main courses for someone with a massive appetite. A huge bowl of prawns in chilli and garlic, floating in oil, and a huge plate of deep fried squid. Both tasted ok, but there were issues. The prawns were only roughly peeled, and the black intestinal tracts had not been removed. The squid was cut into very different sizes, so some of it was nicely cooked, but some was distinctly overcooked and chewy. We could not finish either and were left wondering how on earth we were even going to start the mains.

The mains arrived (grilled salt cod and vegetables, and a prawn curry) and these portions were just as large as the starters had been. Although we both made valiant efforts, an awful lot of wasted food was left. Further, for a dish that is described as ‘grilled’ the salt cod arrived sitting in a lot of oil, and, was almost completely without taste.

We requested the bill (very reasonable prices) and left.

I don’t think that we experienced this restaurant at the right time. It is in a great location, overlooking the marina. Faro is extraordinarily quiet at this time of year, and I am sure that had more people been dining then the ambience and experience would have been different.

Having said that, the portions were ridiculous and I can’t be the only person who is actually put off by having such an enormous plate of food put in front of them. Added to that the fiddling around that had to be done to get the prawns to a state where they were edible was also quite off putting.

This was an odd experience all round. I would not recommend going to this restaurant when it is quiet, but would be prepared to try it again should I ever be in Faro at a different time of year.

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Very good and very fresh fish. I recommend the typical Marinheira fish stew. Excelent flavour and the freshness of the ingredients is a must.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

best restaurant in Faro..Great prawn cocktail and lobsters..Friendly and helpful waiters with good English Relaxed atmosphere overlooking the marina for watching people n boats!.House white great valiue.