“Basic, with very friendly reception.”
Review of Hotel Aeromar

Hotel Aeromar
Ranked #6 of 24 Faro B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Basic, with very friendly reception.”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My friend and I had not booked a hotel for our weekend in Portugal. First night we spent in the car that we rented, but second night, as we wanted to take a shower and sleep properly before our early morning flight back to London, we decided to just get a motel room. This was the first one that we found. We were on a highway and saw a sign that said "Hotel 2KM", so we followed the sign and arrived to this place.
When we went in, there was a price list. The cheapest price for a twin room was 50euros, but as we didn't want to have breakfast, internet, or a view, the receptionist said we can have it for 40euros. We were allocated room number 115, which had a balcony facing the sea. Room itself gave off a good first impression, it was clean and cute, but when we opened the drawers, we could see that the furniture was quite old, and also the bathroom shower and bath was quite old as well. The only modern thing there was in the room was the TV, flat screen, but it only had a few channels (no more than 10) and they were all in Portuguese.
The shower was quite confusing, at some point without knowing it, I turned the water off and the receptionist had to come and help me, but she was very nice. After taking a shower I called to ask if thee was supposed to be a hair dryer in the room, the receptionist said that it is not always provided, but she has one downstairs, so she can bring it to me.
Room had an A/C system installed, but for some reason, it never got warm enough. It was like 20-21 degrees, but I wish it would have gotten warmer.

All together, the room was basic, kind of old, but ok for a one night stay, and the receptionist was excellent!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ievly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 April 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently and wanted to recommend the hotel fully.

The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and often went out of their way, for example giving us a lift to the airport. The food was incredible value and perfectly acceptable in quality.

Breakfast is included and offers a wide range of options, always fresh.

The location is idea and while you can hear the aeroplanes taking off from the nearby airport, this didn't bother us or anyone else.

The beach was perfect and if it is busy near the hotel, you can find privacy a short walk away in either direction.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Thomas-Sam
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I wanted to get away from gloomy weather of London for a weekend. So Faro was one of the place where it had 3weeks of fine weather WHEN I BOOKED! Then wow what a luck the weather turned bad in Faro when I arrived. So I was just expecting long reading hours at the balcony with probably some wine to go with. Anyway, when I arrived that the receptionist has appologised that they could not get me a one big bed instead of 2 singles, which I requested in my booking. But it was not a problem, the price itself was cheap and I did not expect much...Then it turned out the room I was given was on the ground floor, the receptionist has assured me that the room is nice, .... Hmm I see no balcony - I opened the window to get rid of some disinfectant smell. It is 3 meter away from the road, which is not too busy but not very nice view - and waited for 5 minutes imagining myself sitting on the corner of bed trying to get some light and read - that was not nice scene I imagined. And also the smell would not go and that is not really cleaning agent's smell. I think it was damp. I went into the bathroom to smell if there is some sewage problem - no . So it was damp probably came with the rain from the previous night. So I decided to ask for another room, maybe even change a hotel if they don't have one - I came back to the reception and there was another lady. She said it was fully booked because of Carnival - but she could show me a room upstairs without balcony. But it had more light, no smell of damp and lovely view of River so I took it.

OK so I settled in this twin bed room - which is dated, but clean. I don't mind the old furniture / room as long as it is clean. But the pillow was most uncomfortable. And it was difficult to warm up the room, and I saw no extra blanket in the cupboard. The TV is probably 30years old, the remote control weighed half a kilo( felt like), and not working properly. Maybe the other room may have better equipment, I don't know, but there weren't many channels as it promised on hotel pamphlet. The room has seperate bed room from small corridor where the door to the communal corridor is, and the door did not shut properly - which annoyed me and I moved the bedside table to press the door to close. Also there was fake flower decorated, which had been pretty long time ago, that color was almost gone. I wonder why bothering that? Bathroom is fine as long as you stick with shower, as the bath tub is too narrow and the hot water is not hot enought for the bath use.

Now good side of the hotel ; the staff are all attentive and very helpful. The breakfast is good enough, the beach is virtually 1 minute away. I did not eat food there in the evening but I had a drink one night. The food looked decent and the local people came there to watch footies on big TV. It has a nice atomosphere in that sense. ( I don't recommend romantic dinner for two though, the light is too bleak! )
I had to depart very early in the morning, then the night prior when checking out, they gave me a sandwich and cinammon toast, some fruits and juice and chocolate drink for my departure! I asked for taxi to the airport(5min. by car) then the hotel person actually gave me a lift in the morning! I wanted to give him some tip but he just shook my hand and wished me a good flight.

I think if they can get all the dated things in the room improved, the hotel could do very well in the area. Do I come back again? Yes I will, when more hot weather, and as long as they give me a room with terasse! ;)

oh, I noticed some of the reviews on this Aeromar are confused with Auramar in different area? This hotel has no swimming pool / pool side bar, and it is 20 minutes bus ride to Old town Faro.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kikahopper
Faro
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed at the Aeromar last November. The location is quiet, but right next to Faro beach (1 minute walk) and the views are great. It has a bar/restaurant which is frequented by the locals and the food/drink is excellent and great value as it is priced for the locals.

Positives
------------
Quiet location (may be a negative for some people)
Close to airport
Great value Bar/restaurant
good price
Close to beach
Free WI-FI downtairs

Negatives
--------------
Cold in November and heating was a bit intermittent
Decor/furniture dated

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank JohnFarley
Colwyn Bay North Wales
Reviewed 17 July 2008

We found this hotel in a guidebook and it seemed a good option for an overnight stay for an early flight out of Faro. It is close to the airport over a causeway. We could see and just about hear the planes taking off from our balcony. There is a sandy beach a few steps away on one side and the Ria Formosa on the other. Apart from the beach and a few restaurants not a lot to do The hotel is a bit seventies in style but clean and comfortable Staff helpful and pleasant. We had the half board option and were pleasantly surprised that this was a free choice(except lobster and crab) from the a la carte menu with a free aperitif and coffee. This was one of our best meals of the week. We had an early flight and were not expecting breakfast but -no problem a little guy had got up at the crack of dawn and there was a full cold buffet and a couple of hot items. Would recommend this to anyone looking for an hotel near Faro airport at a VERY reasonable price

• Liked — The position and the food
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple