“Great!”
Review of Residencial Dandy

Residencial Dandy
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Faro
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We arrived at Residencial Dandy for a 3 night stay and were presently surprised. Although our room's air conditioning was not working and there were not two dining rooms as stated outside we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Residencial Dandy is very quirky and decorated beautifully, the pictures really do not do it justice. The people working there were extremely helpful and the location was excellent for the centre of Faro.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Residencial Dandy

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We arrived for a short 2 night break at 11pm. It seemed we had just woke the concierge although he was pleasant enough showing us to a massive room (2 double a bunk beds) for the two of us. The 2nd night we were moved to another room with its own terrace. The hotel is quirky with narrow corridors lots of rooms and stairs. We found it very clean and the staff extremely helpful. If your looking for 5 star luxury then this is not the place for you but if you want something slightly unusual then it,s perfect. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Dandy and will certainly go again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geoff M
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked a two-night room there last month. It just appeared to be the cheapest room I could ever find on booking.com for this period.
Well, it looks a bit odd and it's next to the Church, but who cares? It is the cheapest room of the town. You have a bed and a bathroom for the price, and that's already quite enough!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank globerovercom
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

What a great find! For less than £10pppn, we got ourselves a double room with an ensuite.

It's certainly a little tired looking, and might appreciate a bit of tarting up, but it was spotlessly clean and the shower had decent water pressure and was hot hot hot! Except for on the day we left there was no water running from the hot taps at all, weird. But it was really early.

Another nice touch was maid service!!! Not normally offered in a hostel, but we had our bed made for us, and clean towels brought in.

The staff were very helpful - the gentleman a little fierce seeming at times, but very helpful, showing us round the accommodation and offering to phone us taxis to the airport etc, and always cleaning. He was happy to be woken at whatever time you returned at night to open the door for you.

Shame about the bad reviews, as for the price we paid, it was practically faultless! If you're a hostel fan then you'll be pleasantly surprised, and if you're not, then find yourself a hotel - though I've stayed in worse 3* hotels than the Dandy to be honest!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claireybooo
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at Residencial Dandy in the end of 2012. It was a very short weekend trip so I was not looking for fancy hotel, which could have been easily found in the region. I made an online reservation for 2 nights but due to transportation problem I phoned the receptionist (a lady) and she told me it was OK to stay for just 1 night and I didnt get charged for 2 nights as it was supposed to. The staff was very helpful and informed me what I needed to know during my stay I stayed in a private room where I got private bathroom. The television in the room was working well and could not complaint.

When you enter the building, you might get an impression that it was private apartment but the signage was very helpful and you should never miss the 'residencial dandy' sign hanging on the upper floor's window (as you could see on the picture).

The location is not really far from the airport bus stop, walking takes about 5 minutes. The frequency of the bus (back and forth) was quite limited so you should be aware of it. Taxis were widely available during my stay but as I walked around, I did not have any experience with it. The neighborhood was pretty safe and you can easily find resto/bar around the hotel and town centre is within walkable distance, some of them open till late. There is a well-known fast food resto next to the bus stop, and that was very helpful if you arrive starving. The castle is about 10 minutes walking away.

Ps: I walked to the Igreja del Carmo, which is famous for its bone chapel, walking from the residencial...

Room Tip: Simple residencial, good value, good location
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank IRT_1
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in August. Extremely quirky place. Landlord reminded me of Rigsby, a skinflint character from a 70s TV comedy. He pointed to his heart and said bad when telling me he couldn’t help me with my bag. However he recovered quickly when a woman needed help. The Furniture was as old as the Portuguese empire. The best thing was the ice making machine. My room, no 1 next to the bathroom was completely damp. The smell was over powering. The room was an old kitchen/bathroom converted cheaply to a bedroom. However it needs a complete re- furb. All 4 walls and the ceiling were damp. Paint had covered some of the wet patches but it was cosmetic. Other rooms had similar furniture but were not damp. Stay here at your own risk.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 1
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Danny100
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Everyone says this guest-house has a bit of quirk to it, and it's true. But we liked it! It is clean and functional and central and inexpensive. And we loved Faro... more than we expected, honestly. Good value, if you are easy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple