“unfriendly and unhelpful staff.”
Review of Monaco Hotel

Monaco Hotel
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Faro
“unfriendly and unhelpful staff.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

we stayed here for 7 nights. Bedrooms are basic but clean. Very noisy due to motorway. Breakfast is terrible. You always have to wait for scrambled egg or those horrible sausages they give as they never put out enough. Staff are not at all friendly or helpful. I was left standing at the bar for 5 mins while waiting for a coffee. One of the staff that was behind the bar served 3 other staff their coffees then told me there would be someone else down to take my order shortly, then she left. The pool area is small but clean.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank dcocon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The Hotel Monaco is okay for a short stay as it costs 2.20 euros single fare to beach or Faro Town which is about two miles to three miles away. The staff are friendly. The restaurant area where buffet breakfast is below ground, very dingy, poor lighting. Breakfast not three star standard, very basic, tinned fruit, and fruit juice watery, cheese or luncheon type ham only choice, coffee unpleasant, Lipton's tea available. Hotel okay for those who don't mind basic breakfast or who have own transport. Would not recommend long stay for those who depend on decent buffet breakfast, or who do not have own transport as bus fares are expensive for short distances. There is a free shuttle service operative weekdays only on request at certain times to airport, beach, bus station/town. Room average, bed rather hard. Have stayed in better three star hotels in Europe. Breakfast is the worst we have had in a three star category Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are better on higher floor not facing road, Anyway the hotel has in its favour being in a quit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank james e
Paderborn, Germany
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed in Hotel Monaco for one night in Aug 13, prior to arriving I had emailed the hotel who confirmed that they would collect us from the airport and all i had to do was call once we were ready to be collected as they run a shuttle bus throughout the day. On arriving in Faro, I called the hotel only to be told that they could not collect us and we just had to get a taxi!!! On entering the hotel I was really disappointed and was glad we were only staying there for one night. The room was something you would see in the 1960 's the flora decoration and the grim atmosphere was not impressing. We were very tempted to find an other hotel in the area, however the area has NOTHING to offer... We ventured out to see if we could get a bite to eat only to find one restaurant about ten minute walk! we returned to the hotel and ordered a sandwich as the restaurant was closed!! Even though it was a Friday night!! Very strange!! We had a couple of beers in the smoking area and noticed " Dog Poo" by the outdoor toilets!! The pool area is very very small a not like a holiday hotel at all!!! I could not believe people actually stayed in this hotel for 7 days!!! My advice would be not to got there! Breakfast was included which consisted of hotdogs, scrambled eggs and the smallest bread rolls EVER!! The orange juice was diluted much like a robinsons drink! I will not be returning nor will I be recommending this run down place to anyone!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Noelle G

Travellers are raving about these Faro hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I booked this online and was hoping that it would have been a good hotel as it cost about 80 euros per night. This included breakfast. The hotel from outside looks nice. It was only 4 minutes from the aiport by car. A friend picked me up and took me to the hotel but there was a shuttle bus. However on some days they say there is no one to drive it so be warned!

The general look of the hotel inside and the room is a little dated. Old fashioned furniture with some modern pieces placed in that dont quite match. e.g. a bed side lamp. The cleanliness was ok. I am a bit fussy. So there was dust on the lamo shades and the head board. The corner of the wall had brown stains not sure why ? The balcony was small and we only had 1 chair which was dirty and brown stained!! Needs cleaning before you can sit on it. I did not ask for another so can not comment if the hotel would have got another one.

The breakfast is basic! Bread, cheese, ham, croissonts, 2 types of cereal, eggs and hot dogs. There was some fruit juice but this was watered down and tasted un pleasent. However it did make a good start to the day.

The hotel staff were not friendly. I arrived and the receptionist was on the phone and did not acknowledge my presence. There was another member of staff in a room behind but she did not come to assist. When teh staff came off the phone there was no hello or sorry to keep you waiting.

The pool was lovely and clean and worth a visit.

For a 3 star hotel I expected more and it was not cheap top stay here. I know a lot of reviews said good price but for the quality it was not good value.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Nwlndnnurse
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed again at the Monaco following a late flight from the UK. This is a really great value hotel if you need to stay overnight in Faro and don't want to go too far from the airport with your just picked up hired car!!!!!. Lovely clean rooms and charming staff. Out room faced a brick wall so try to avoid room 105....although it didn't matter as we arrived late and left early. Will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the wall - i.e. facing towards the road outside
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank julie b
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a relaxing peacefully 7 night stay at this pleasant hotel, we were visiting the motorcycle rally in Faro and this was a great place to stay for myself and my friend Chris. The hotel is outside Faro town so we had either very long walks which were great as the weather was so good or it was a taxi here and there which were at a reasonable cost! The breakfast was ok and filling and we had decent bar meals in the evening and also in the afternoon relaxing by the pool which was clean and tidy.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul M
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I booked this hotel for a friend and myself, for somewhere to stay for the Moto faro bike rally, as we didn't fancy camping, I found it on the net and booked through olotels, who were brilliant, we arrived at the airport and phoned the hotel as requested for a pick up and within minutes the mini bus arrived and took us to the hotel.
on arrival we were given a room on the 4th floor at the rear of the building, it was excellent, it had occupant controlled air conditioning ( we needed it ),a mini bar fridge with bottles of water, ( we bought our own ) but was fabulous for keeping our beer cold !!,and a lovely bathroom with power shower.
nothing was too much trouble for the staff who nearly all spoke some English ( very handy for us ),the pool area was an oasis with the bar and plenty of sun beds, it was spotlessly clean, and the staff would bring drinks and food out to you, after you order at the bar.

if it had a down side, I do have to say it is a long way out of faro town, but we knew that, and taxis are about 10 Euros a trip so expect to spend some money if you want to go to the beach or the old castle in town sightseeing.

all in all we had a fabulous weeks holiday, and would recommend it highly, we will visit again without a doubt.

Room Tip: rear rooms are very quiet, but no balcony,if you wanted one !
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends