“Exceptional service - above and beyond the call of duty!”

Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Faro
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My stay here was unplanned due to my Dad being admitted to Faro hospital with pneumonia.
The hotel was superbly placed for visiting the hospital but the thing that separates this hotel from any other is the people.
We were obviously worried about my Dad's health and unsure of so much being in a foreign country but Lisa and her team were always available with advice, help, support and a reassuring warmth that made us feel very much like a part of the family.
I have never experienced service like this and I have stayed in many top class hotels in various countries but I doubt if my experience here will ever be surpassed.
The hotel may only be 3 star and is simple in its decor and approach but it is exceptionally well managed, very clean with lovely beds and bedding and is ideally located for the hospital, the airport, the gorgeous Port and the shopping delights of Faro.
We had a fantastic time under the worst circumstances and the memory of the warmth and support we received will never, ever leave me.
I would highly recommend this hotel and more importantly, their team, to everyone. They go above and beyond the call of duty to make their guests feel welcome, warm and safe.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ACR28
Lisa C, Owner at Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

What can I say about your review? I am so happy to have met you and your parents and am so happy that everything worked out so well!! It always makes us smile when clients come out of the hospital and go home feeling good! I am also happy to have gained a friend and hope to see you back soon for a girls shopping weekend!

All the best,
Lisa

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Hello, just wanted to say Lisa was brilliant, especially with information sharing to insurance and family, in our situation as my father was ill in hospital which was five minutes away. We nicknamed her nurse Lisa as she was helpful with everything that we needed or wanted. If there was anything missing it was a sign above reception saying 'Nurse Lisa.' Thank you Lisa and to the rest of the staff they were brilliant. So if anyone is looking for a hotel to stay in for a holiday or family situation with family members in hospital then this is the place to go. P.S. My father is doing great. from the Coyne Family. x

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sophie c
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked a double room for the two of us. Upon arrival we were told we actually had a kingsize bed (albeit two singles pushed together - but bonus!).

We got a taxi (10 euros) from Faro airport and arrived around 3 hours too early for check-in but were allowed to leave our luggage at the hotel while we explored the city. We were given a map and highlighted points of interest and the best places to eat and drink - excellent service.
We explored for a while and then got back about 20 minutes too early for check-in so we sat in the lobby and watched the television in there to be told that our room was already ready for us!

Room is basic - clean and comfortable, with a television, full length mirror and a dressing table, plenty of hanging space for clothes. Perfect for a city break when you want a hotel just to sleep and shower in. Rooms aren't very soundproof but I only imagine it could be a problem if you are there during the day - didn't bother us at all. Toilet was a bit weird, we had to twist a little tap by the side of it to get it to work; other than that bathroom was functional and spacious with fresh towels and shower gel / shampoo. Again more than I expected from such a low-cost hotel!

Best points: LOCATION IS EXCELLENT - literally about a five-ten minute walk to anywhere you need to be. SERVICE - all staff were friendly and went above and beyond. VALUE.

Negatives: BREAKFAST was a bit disappointing - I booked through LastMinute and paid €5 each per day (I have since read a review where Lisa said that it is a complimentary breakfast so may have to have words with them???) - it consisted of bread, a few slices of cooked meat, brie, some cereal, tea, coffee and some watery juices. The coffee definitely made up for it...!

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We didn't pay much for our room as it was just a quick stopover on our way to the Algarve. For what we paid the room was perfect, very central and most of all the staff were so welcoming and helpful pointing out all of the local attractions.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Please trust me and do not stay here unless you want to sleep in a complete dive, 1 star hotel, really disappointed as reviews looked good - things all hanging off walls, really shabby everything, poor terrible place and the breakfast was comically bad, Definitely would gamble on a boutique hotel for the same price (90 Euro's for a night, ouch for that hideous place, never again!).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisa C, Manager at Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

I must say I was quite surprised at your review. We take great pride in offering outstanding service and all the amenites required for a pleasant stay while in Faro, Portugal. We are a family run, three star hotel located just 10 minutes from the center of town. Perhaps you thought you were booking a five star hotel and not a three star, family run property. We offer complimentary WiFi, a complimentary computer in the lobby, 24 hour reception and bar service and a complimentary buffet continental breakfast. The exact items we advertise on all of our public pages. Our rates are in line with comparitive hotels in the city and our pictures are up to date and exactly what you receive upon arrival. Perhaps a four or five star hotel would better suit your needs. Happy future travels.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Hotel staff were helpful. Room good size. Disappointing that we had to read the hotel information located in our room to find out that we could have electric jug for tea and coffee making. Also 10.00 euros deposit for the key to be able to use the fridge and 10.00 euros deposit for the safety deposit box. The room was clean, lots of restaurants, cafe's within easy walking distance. Great bakery three doors down.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel as a venue that anyone would be happy to stay in for whatever reason you find yourself in Portugal. Myself and my partner stayed for three nights although we'd only booked for two. When we turned up a day earlier than expected Lisa made every effort to make sure we had what we wanted and didn't have to swap rooms during our stay. The staff are excellent, really helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean and practically sound proof with really comfortable beds and brilliant air con. I had the best nights sleep I've ever had in a hotel whilst there. The breakfast was varied and served in an appealing way. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisa C, Manager at Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thanks so much for your review! You guys were a delight to have with us and we really look forward to your return next year!! Have a wonderful year and we hope to see you in July. Lisa