“Perfectly fine place to stay for a night in Faro”

Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Faro
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our family had a flight to catch in Faro and spent the night at the Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo. Check-in and check-out staff were helpful and courteous, with the latter helping us get a radio-taxi for the airport. The location is walking distance from the bus station (we only had carry-on rollaboard bags), the marina, and the old town. We were greeted each time we had to go through the lobby, which made the place feel secure. The addition of a refrigerator and safe in the room were nice pluses. The room was spotless, the linens were nice, the aircon was cold, and we got a good night's sleep. It is a few blocks from the ossuary.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night in June.
Upon check in staff were friendly and helpful. No problems.
the elevator is a bit claustrophobic. Be warned. Room was average. Air con worked which was good.
Service upon check out was really disappointing.
Two male staff members were on the desk. They were heartily conversing and made no attempt to greet us as we stood like idiots at the counter for five minutes. I had to inform them I was checking out. He gestured for my card without saying anything. When I handed my credit card over he stuck it in the EFTPOS machine and proceeded to walk away to continue his conversation. Some minutes later he returned to the counter and while turned away from us (continuing his very important conversation) he ripped the card out and handed it to us without saying anything. No 'good morning', no 'hello', did not even say thank-you when returning the card.

In a service oriented business, poor manners are unacceptable. I read the other reviews and had to double check the location as my experience was so very different from other reviewers on this site.
Everyone has a bad day, I understand that but I've seen better niceties from a four year old. Rudest experience on my month long trip without a doubt.
Will not be returning here.

• Stayed: June 2014
Lisa C, Manager at Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I must tell you that I am completely surprised to read your experience upon check out. We pride ourselves on being very a very friendly, family run hotel and the person working on the day that you have listed is the owner's son who is extremely professional. I apologize if this was your experience and please rest assured I have brought it to the staff's attention, including those working on your day of check out. Thanks again for your time.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a classic hotel I always book when in Faro. It's quite near to the old city, near some restaurants, with parking spots and free wi-fi. Staff is very caring and provide you with detailed info about possible trips and sight-seeings in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the best hotel in Faro as there are hardly any other hotels. It is a fair price and in fact it is the only one that is a fair price. The others are more expensive and the rooms are smaller and not as pretty and the facilities are just as good.
I say this is excellent but in fact it is not as my bank card got refused when I tried to reserve a room on two occasions despite having stayed there twice.
The bathroom is nice and the view from the window is pretty the breakfast room is quite nice too with a good enough vareity.I liked the colours in the bedroom and the bed was not uncomfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2014

hotel is a little older, but, very nice, great people ( family run business)..nice part of town..enjoyed our stay, enjoyed the hotel. Would stay again. had a good breakfast in the hotel. Owners son pointed us to a restaurant several blocks away and we had a hoot with the owner, plus a meal to talk about.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Unfortunate illness for my wife while on holiday in Portugal . Stayed here for almost three weeks . Had the great delight in meeting the family who run this wonderful hotel . Nothing to much for them to do for you , just ask , local knowledge of all bars and restaraunts . And very helpful to me and my son on information at local hospital . All the staff and family are very welcoming and go a long way to help . Thanks again .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel was a good base for our trip and was a nice clean hotel. We visited in February and we were very lucky with the weather in the day but it did drop cold in the evenings which unfortunately meant that our rooms were quite cold in the hotel. I was lucky as I had a heater in my room and extra blankets but my parents didn't have a heater and the air conditioning unit didn't seem to help with heating the room up. The hotel is at the top of the town so just be aware of the walk if you are less able! The breakfast was the usual continental style but that's what you get at most hotels abroad and was pleasant enough. Although there is no kettle in the bedrooms when you arrive, you can ask the receptionist and they are happy to make up a tray of tea, milk and a kettle for you. I would go back to this hotel again if I visited Faro as the staff were so lovely and so helpful in every way. The bar area was great as it had a pool table, board games and a tv with English film channels so I cant fault them in the fact that they cater well for their guests. We had a very early morning flight on the day of our departure and we asked at reception if we could have a hot drink before we went as we knew we would be too early for breakfast, and again the staff were so nice and said they would also give us a piece of cake, a yoghurt and a hot drink so this was more than what we expected and a very pleasant surprise. When we came to leave, a night patrol officer came into the hotel and even offered us a lift with all our luggage to the station which again was really kind of him and of the man on duty at reception for asking us. All in all, the bedrooms were a good size, clean, good price for the stay and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel offer a view down to the coast