“Excellent Casa de Estoi”
Review of Casa de Estoi

Casa de Estoi
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Faro
Belper, United Kingdom
“Excellent Casa de Estoi”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Fabulous place. Not quite up to the standards written about by other reviewers (I would imagine it was because we were out of season...we were certainly the only people in the hotel) but everything you could wish for. We were offered a choice of rooms; everything spotless and recently decorated; breakfast good but somewhat limited (stuff put out at beginning of week still there halfway through); friendly staff. Should point out that, although this is listed as 'No 1 Hotel in Faro', it isn't in Faro but in Estoi about 11km away so a car is necessary (something we didn't realise until the day before we traveled) as there isn't much in Estoi (Roman ruins and the Palace are worth a look) and, if you're in the room we were (can't remember the name but it was first door on the left at the top of the stairs) the hot water takes an age to come through.
Make sure you visit Cafe Vanessa across the square. The owner, Ana is a lovely lady who took two very tired and fraught English people and told them to 'relax' which was just what we should have done and what we did! Good food, good company. And the fact that she didn't know us from Adam and trusted us to come back later and pay for the drinks we had had, rescued what had been up until then, a pretty disastrous day (thanks again Ryanair).
In Faro we would recommend the restaurant ATELIER DE COMIDA STO ANTONIO (see my other review).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigfozbelper_England

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This fabulous casa could give any Pousada a run for the money. We stayed 2 nights in mid October and were immediately offered a choice of rooms, ending up (at no extra cost) with a suite with our own sitting room, roof terrace and private outside steps down to the courtyard (which also leads to the breakfast room) and swimming/plunge pool. Idyllic. The next day was very warm so we put off the sight-seeing to soak of the ambiance of this country house and the courtyard pool. The Casa has a well-heeled, old family charm about it - you feel as if the duquesa has just left to take the air (in her red-velvet upholstered carriage) which we had seen waiting in the courtyard area.

After a guided tour of the house we took the air ourselves in a short walk to the Roman ruins and the next day to the gardens of the Pousada in Estoi (some of the public rooms with beautifully painted ceilings were also open to non-residents to see). We also took in the Church of St Anthony right across the road from the Casa (the bells stop at 9 pm!) and we also made sure we took in the delicious lasagne served at Vanessa's, also across the road at the foot of the stairs to St Anthony's.

We were sorry to leave our Casa. As we were on a trip to 'discover' Portugal we reckoned we had made our first important discovery with this hotel. The complimentary bottle of red wine left for us in a basket with two sparkling wine glasses was much appreciated. Nothing was spared to ensure our short stay would be memorable. Thank you.

Room Tip: All the rooms we were invited to see were gorgeous.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Driffield
Reviewed 30 September 2012

For personal reasons, I had to take my holiday on my own this year but wanted to use the air ticket that I had already bought to Faro. It was a case therefore of looking on Trip Advisor and the comments from other travellers sold Casa de Estoi to me, but then it took on a whole experience of its own once I'd contacted Hortense, the amazing, wonderful owner. Having not travelled alone for more than 20 years, I was looking for somewhere that was easy to get to from the airport, only a few rooms therefore a quiet location, a pool as I wasn't intending to hire a car and a village or town that still retained some of the Portuguese history. All of this was in Estoi, but mainly at Casa de Estoi. As soon as I had been in touch with Hortense regarding transport there was nothing that she couldn't do to try & make my holiday perfect. Oxana, the girl who was on hand 24 hours a day was also wonderful and nothing was ever too much trouble. The rooms & bathroom were spotless and the essentials such as air conditioning worked. Breakfast was a veritable feast and should you require anything more, I am sure Oxana would have produced it for you. As most other visitors had a car, I had the pool to myself most days which was lovely. I took the bus into Faro old town which proved to be smaller than I imagined but it was worth a morning visit to look round & have a coffee overlooking the marina. There were a few restaurants in Estoi and Hortense took it upon herself to introduce me to the owners, and there was one cafe across the square, run by Anna & her husband, where I spent most of my evenings as the food was simple, reliable and fairly priced and Anna looked after you. It is a new venture for both Hortense & Anna so I wish them both the very best of luck and that their businesses thrive in these difficult times.

Room Tip: The room that I had was at the back and had its own terrace that led down to the pool area. It was...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank jusal592
santos
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The Hotel is located in a village named Estoi. The place is very charming and cousy.The staff is wonderful specially Oxana who made us feel at home.The place is very clean.The breakfast is great with plenty choices.They do everything possible since you get there till your check out.

Room Tip: They have one gorgeous room with nice living room and two rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Hidden away, off the beaten tourist track, in the village of Estoi, this small, family run hotel oozes charm and character. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel at home, eating breakfast around the large dining table with other guests. Our family room was compact (for a family of 4), with one double bedroom and sofa bed in the lounge/dining area, but very well kept with all mod cons. The courtyard pool is delightful, and overall there is a very warm, welcoming atmosphere to the place.
It is very conveniently located for exploring the Algarve - 15 mins from Faro airport, and approximately 25 mins from Vilamoura with its' wonderful marina, golf courses, beaches, restaurants and waterpark. There are also several good cafe's and restaurants in the village itself, offering great value in comparison to the larger resorts on the coast.
Its the perfect place for

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank reddersj
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Amazing guesthouse !! There are beautiful clean rooms, several different formal and classy sitting areas. The breakfast was cooked hot and plenty. The salt water pool was very refreshing. The village of Estoi is small and quaint . This is not convenient is you plan to spend alot of time at the beach, although 15 min drive or 20 euro cab fare away. Only 10 minutes to Faro airport. A really unique find if you are looking for an off the grid unique guesthouse experience.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank smahan
Newcastle
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here at the beginning of May. From the moment I arrived I knew the hotel and the village was special. It was quiet and felt very safe. The owner made me welcome straight away. The hotel was beautiful, traditional and very clean!!

My room was very nice and spacious and the bathroom was modern and very clean!

The owner will go out of her way to help you and it was an absolute pleasure to stay!

My room was opposite the beautiful church and it was magical to see at night. It felt very calm and relaxing!!

Estoi is a quiet and traditional village . Very nice if you want a real taste of Portugal!there is a regular bus service that takes you to faro centre for around 3 euro. The bus stop is less than a 5 minute walk!

There are several cafes in Estoi within walking distance.

Well I loved this place so much and will be visiting again in the summer.. And I will certainly stay here again!! Enjoy!!

• Stayed May 2012