“What a HORRIBLE owner”

Stumble Inn
Ranked #39 of 138 Speciality Lodging in Lagos
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Hi,

I thought I had better share my experience with **Stumble Inn Hostel (Lagos)** so that others do not make the mistake of going there.

I consider myself to be an experienced backpacker having travelled all over Latin America, staying in hostels (some good, some very, very bad). However, I have never been treated the way this hostel treated me.

I asked for a dorm away from any communal areas and chose the hostel because it had lockers. The dorm I was given had a window that opened out onto the patio where everyone was smoking and there were no lockers, just cupboards. Consequently you had to shut the window in order to secure your valuables, and this intensified the smell of mould and damp in the room.

When I asked to move to another room, the owner (who was clearly high on some sort of drug) threw my deposit at me and told me to get out, leaving me and my friend (two young females) bedless and with problems finding other accomodation due to it being high season. It was also 10pm!

I would have been happy to have stayed in the room until another dorm bed became available, but the owner just insulted me and told me I knew nothing about hostels and told me to leave. I know enough to know that other hostels don't do this!

Don't make the mistake I did by booking there!

Room Tip: book elsewhere - seriously!
7  Thank lindinha1984

Reviewed 26 July 2011

What a great place! The owner, Jamie is Brilliant. Clean, Friendly and Centrally located. Went out on the Pub Crawl. The guy who showed us around, Chris, is a legend. Had a massive night. If you come to Lagos, You must stay here.

4  Thank PottyTraveller2011
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Hi,

Stumble Inn was is the dirtiest hostel my friend and I have stayed in our Europe tour so far. For both of us, the odor in our rooms was very bad, there was no hot water in the showers at all, my friend woke up to the sound of a cockroach and the shower drain was clogged up and water was everywhere on the floor. For the price we paid we would aso expect that the Inn has internet access and air conditionning.

This place is run by hippies and should be visited by hippies, period.

Stay away if you are a normal person, and it was so bad we checked out earlier to get back.

Peace.

3  Thank TheMainMan514
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The owner of this hostel is always there to help and he can give you so many excellent tips on what to do and where to eat! Some of the staff arranged inpromptue dinners and pub crawls which made our Lagos experience!
When we were there the crowd was early - mid 20s which was perfect for my boyfriend and I! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Lennyieabroad
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We were there before what sounds like the serious drinking months and it was lovely and empty. Crazy cat. Wonderful staff. I don't think I've ever been so relaxed.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank AlexECLondon
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This hostel was great. it is in a great location, everything seems to be just around the corner. The staff are great and happy to help with anything from recommending bars and restaurants to booking tours and activities and are always willing to just have a chat and hang out. The rooms are simple and clean and there are plenty of bathrooms for the guests to share. There is an awesome bbq in the back patio to cook up a feast. There was a very friendly feel about this place. All guests got along really well, it was like spending a few day in a holiday house with mates. Just awesome

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank jenniren420
Reviewed 1 August 2009

We had a wonderful time vacationing with our family in Lagos, Portugal. We stayed at a lovely little hostel called The Stumble Inn. They gave us a 2-bedroom apartment with a full kitchen, laundry facilities and a gorgeous balcony- and all at a very reasonable price. The owners and staff were lovely to work with and it was very family-friendly. Recommended places to eat with the kids: The Green Room (laid back atmosphere with yummy Mexican food); The Blue Door (this is the local name for it- the portions of locally caught fish were HUGE & very well-priced); Croissanteria 29 (amazing sandwiches for around 1-2 Euros each). At night, for a little grown-up time, we enjoyed The Jam (a lovely bar with entertaining staff who went out of their way to find me a diet Coke when I really was craving one- they played great music & there is a place to play darts); Johnno's Bar (which was right next door to our hostel- was a great place to pop in for a drink & to catch sports events). The local beach called Battata was clean & family-friendly, but we did adventure on to some of the more secluded beaches on the West side of town- gorgeous!!

4  Thank Blueyes42