“Best Hotel in Lagos”
Review of Tivoli Lagos Hotel

Tivoli Lagos Hotel
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We have stayed here a few time the hotel is fantastic the food and service is excellent the rooms are very nice and clean English channels on the TV we are off there again this Xmas , we found the location very good , a nice walk when had a wonderfull Dinner in lagos.

Room Tip: WE had a a club twin room was very nice
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ephriam
Write a ReviewReviews (3,318)

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. It is rated and priced as a four star hotel and I think it falls short by a long way. The bedspreads in my room were stained and the bathroom was grubby. The TV was not digital and, if I had been willing to pay for it, wifi was 9 euros per day.

The restaurant food was seriously over-priced, eg 45 euro for the buffet. Therefore, I recommend travellers eat locally at any of the restaurants on the nearby shore and look at the room before accepting it to check the cleanliness.

The staff were efficient but not friendly. This was surprising as my dealings with hotel staff in 3 other Portugese hotels (prior to this hotel) have been wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank SydneySerendipity
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The hotel was very clean and the staff friendly. The food was surprisingly good and the buffet option was extremely good value. The original al la carte restaurant was well worth a visit and again very good value.

Happy hour in the main bar was 18.30-21.00 when we were there which meant drinks were really cheap.

When I go back I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Stuart M
Reviewed 14 November 2012

First the good points
Good position, a short walk from shops,bars, bus station, and harbour. The train station with connections to all the Algarve and beyond is a little further away, but an easy walk if you are reasonably fit. There is a courtesy bus to the beach several times a day, which we didn't use so I can't comment on that.
The food in the main dining room is excellent with plenty of choice, there is also another restaurant with waiter service which we didn't try as we were happy with the other one. Breakfast is also good and it is possible to get a really early breakfast if you are going out for the day, which is really helpful for walkers and birdwatchers enabling them to get an early start.
The hotel is clean and bright throughout with comfortable public areas and FREE internet access on 2 or 3 computers situated in the main lounge area..
Now The Bad Points
The rooms are a bit dated for a 4 star with very little room to put anything down and no spare plugs to charge up your gadgets or plug in your iron or kettle . There were 3 huge lamps in our room which gave little light but took up a large amount of surface space.
The water in the mini bar is an extortionate price, also we went with Saga and were to have free water and fruit in our room on arrival, Saga guests BEWARE when we arrived it was very hot and we drank down the two botles of water put out on the small space by the television, The free bottle arrived 4 hours later and we were charged 6 Eurors for the two we had consumed.
The hotel has a very strange layout and it can be very difficult to find your room again the signage was very confusing and I only got to grips with the layout when I stopped following the signs and committed the ups and downs to memory., This was the main complaint I heard during our stay.
The reception area was the most depressing I have ever seen in a 4 star hotel.
The service - I can't complain it was professional but a bit pretentious for my taste and not given with a smile.

4  Thank BakewellWoodentop
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We spent the last week in October staying bed & breakfast here.The location is excellent; it only took 10 minutes to walk into Lagos centre but there are several bars & restaurants en route.As mentioned in other reviews the hotel layout is most unusual and interesting. We did not like the first room we were offered but when we asked to see another room reception gave us an excellent one with a large balcony.I would say there are many different styles of room ,so if you don't like yours you may be able to move.There were more English speaking channels on the TV than in other European destinations I've visited (including BBC 1) which was good, although we weren't glued to it! There was a very good choice at breakfast but the toaster was somewhat slow. We had some problems with our hire car and I just want to say how helpful Jose in reception was.Thank you Jose! I would certainly return here and recommend the hotel as a good base for touring the Western Algarve.

2  Thank Kelly39
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Had another lovely stay at the Tivoli, it is one of my favourite places in the world (home from home). Reception staff are helpful and friendly. The bar and dining room staff work very hard and provide excellent and efficient service. The cleaners do a marvellous job and this shows in the cleanliness of the place. Breakfast is brilliant, what a choice. The food at the pool bar is excellent (ate there a few times). Pateo Velho food is lovely, service although on this occasion was slow was still charming and the Maitre D provided us with fleecy wraps to keep the chill off us (what a nice touch). Had a thoroughly relaxing time and look forward to another visit. I love it here.
Admittedly some rooms could do with some attention but that's just one of those things. I can't complain about my room on this stay. The early breakfast at 0400hrs on departure day was appreciated too. At the time I stayed it was nice to see high room occupation rates. Despite several stays at the Tivoli I love the fact that it is like a giant maze, how staff find their way around still amazes me. I did not use the spa on this occasion due to wanting to be in the sun, but I have to say the offers they had on the Decleor treatments represented excellent value.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank clarki74
Reviewed 4 November 2012

The Tivoli is very jaded. We had one of 'superior' rooms and it needed an uplift really, despite the efforts of the lovely kind cleaners who seemed to be constantly trying to improve things. Whilst in the indoor pool, we were told off for not wearing a swimming cap. We felt that the dirt on the tiles and the dirt on the windows above the pool itself were more important matters.

The food was reasonable, pretty much what you would expect, but not varied at all. I'm sure that the above doesn't reflect on the staff, who were pleasant enough, if not proactively pleasant, but more on the hotel owners, who are no doubt like many of these types cashing in big time for 5 euro bottles of water.

We have stayed at much better 4 star hotels which are clearly bringing out the best in their staff.

2  Thank peter271