“Great hotel for a relaxing break”
Review of Tivoli Lagos Hotel

Tivoli Lagos Hotel
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here for the fourth time in July, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is ver clean throughout, and the buffet breakfast caters for every taste. There are frequent buses to the Beach Club, where there are free sun loungers on the beach, or you can lounge by the hotel pool if you get there in time.
The Pateo Velho restaurant serves excellent food or alternatively there are several good restaurants in town.
The staff at reception were friendly, but some of the bar staff are haughty and could be friendlier. The happy hour is very popular with Brits who like a g and t.

5  Thank Wombat2013
Miguel A, General Manager at Tivoli Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Wombat2013,
Just some words of appreciation for your continued preference on the Tivoli Lagos and for taking the time to share your latest experience with us.
I am glad to learn that, once again, you have thoroughly enjoyed your holiday in Lagos. I noted your criticism about some of the Bar staff but I am confident it will not prevent us from the privilege of welcoming you again and soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Great location in the centre of town with free parking in a walled 'field'.
Free shuttle bus to hotel beach with complimentary sun loungers etc very good, you could walk to the Hotel beach location in about 30 minutes going via the Brit-pack marina. (The disco sounds from other hotels on the beach was prominent)
Breakfast was OK, but the coffee was terrible.
The hotel pool was nice, but very busy.
Room was small but quiet and cheap.
The hotel is on lots of different levels so if you have 'mobility issues' check your room location.
We would go again.

Room Tip: Talk to reception to get membership of the hotel group, then you get free wifi for the week.
2  Thank Gerifu Y

Dear Gerifu Y
Many thanks for choosing the TIVOLI LAGOS for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We were happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us in all aspects. We appreciate your preference and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

went to the Tivoli in late june for wifes 50th birthday,on the whole we enjoyed the stay the staff were very friendly & helpful.The room and whole hotel were clean, the facilities were good inc gym,indoor pool etc if you go just to lay round the pool you have to be there early as there are not many loungers around it, also as the hotel is built into hill this means the lifts would particularly be needed if you have pushchair or wheelchair.There is a shuttle bus to the Tivoli beach club, we didn't use this as we enjoyed walk through town(10 mins) then to many different beaches nearby(pria dona ana etc)

Room Tip: book ground floor room if you use wheelchair etc
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gazzy_8

Dear gazzy_8
Just two lines to thank you for sharing your experience with us! Very nice to read that you have throughly enjoyed your holiday at the Tivoli Lagos.
Look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

So.. Half way through our trip and thought would share a review.
Top 3 things:
Location- close to everything and fab dunes beach club
Local staff- friendly and helpful
Cleanliness- whilst hotel is a bit 80s white leather deco it is super clean and well maintained
Not so top things:
Some of the bar staff who don't appear to be local are quite rude and grumpy ( I didn't order a drink with a huff and puff to follow)
The shuttle to the beach is a bit limited on times ( we walked)
The gym doesn't open till 9 which is a bit limiting given the amount of people who seem up and about ( lots of towel nazis lurk at about 8).

In conclusion good hotel, just get things started earlier and get some of the grumpy bar staff smiling!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Gervase F
Miguel A, General Manager at Tivoli Lagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Gervase F,
We were happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us in mosts aspects. May I just clarify that the courtesy bus (only available to hotel guests) runs every half an hour (Summer tme) between the hotel and beach club.
We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
--------------------------

Reviewed 23 August 2014

After spending quite a while searching for a hotel in Lagos I came across the Tivoli. Although a little tired the majority of the pictures looked nice. This was not exactly a cheap hotel but my boyfriend and I thought it would be a treat as it was listed as a 4* hotel. Now let me clarify straight away-I don't know why gave this hotel 4*s but they are completely wrong!
When booking the hotel I made 3 requests with regards to the room- I asked for early check in due to our flight getting in around 11am. I also asked for a double bed and a room not on the ground floor. On arrival about 12pm we were told to come back at 3pm when a room would be ready (so the first request not met). No big deal we decided to go into town. The receptionist offered no information as to where town was and when I asked if they had any maps she thrust one down in front of me without a word.
We went back to the hotel later and checked in. It took about 5minutes of walking up and down various staircases to get to our room. We got inside and we had 2 single beds which couldn't even be pushed together due to a stone pillar in between them! Plus the room was facing a garden on the bottom floor. So none of th requests I made were accommodated.
By this point we were getting quite upset as this was a holiday and a treat we had been saving for. We went back down to reception where I politely explained that my requests had not been met. The rather rude receptionist then said 'well requests is all they are, it doesn't mean you're going to get what you ask for' which I was quite shocked by as surely they should be aiming to please!
She looked on her system and said she had a double room on the top floor which she could give us (so why weren't we given this in the first place?!) this room had more of what we asked for but a tiny balcony which could not even fit 2 people on without a serious squash and the room itself was very small.
I was shocked to find you had to pay for wifi and safe rental-not something I would expect from a 4*. One good thing I can say is the air con was very efficient.
The breakfasts were mass produced-very greasy bacon, stale roles, awful coffee and canned fruit.
The swimming pool is tiny considering the amount of rooms in the hotel (which by the way is like a maze). We spent every day at the beach. The shuttle from the hotel is quite regular and the beach is really nice. However the food at the beach club is overpriced and you have to pay for sunbeds by the pool so I would recommend just using the free ones on the beach!

So basically to sum it up this hotel was a massive disappointment and I will not be returning and certainly would not recommend.

Room Tip: Don't bother making requests as they will not be fulfilled anyway!
1  Thank Petalia_88

Dear Petalia_88
Very much regret to read from your review that our hotel did not meet your expectations. I apologize for the rude manners of the Receptionist, as this is not at all the day to day attitude of our staff. I have shared your comments with the staff to ensure that we will take the necessary steps to overcome the shortcomings you mentioned.
Despite the above, I hope that there were other aspects of the holiday that you have found to be enjoyable.
With best regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Don't get me wrong, what this hotel does right is super. Lovely staff, pleasant simple rooms, clean linens, good food, nice location.
However, in 2014 to find a hotel that cannot comfortably facilitate (a) wheelchair bound or (b) small children/baby with buggy/pram is a serious disappointment. I am lead to believe there are no disabled bedrooms with disabled bathrooms on the premises.
We stayed here in a large group - youngest was 8 months, eldest was 80+ years. I really enjoyed the week we spent here - but everything was a mammoth task - getting in and out of the hotel, even getting around the hotel with the number of steps and levels within the complex. Wear sensible walking shoes!!
The hotel is a 10 minute pleasant walk from the hub of activity in Lagos, which itself is wonderful.
The beach is a 12 minute drive away - the beach is lovely but the beach 'club' that the Tivoli is a member of, the one day we visited was a shambles - service and quality of food were appalling. The only apology they offered was that they were unaware the hotel was so busy.
Some investment and updating/upgrading is required or this hotel will be in danger of losing loyal and regular customers.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BackToBlonde

Dear BackToBlonde,
Thank you for review and for sharing your experience with us. I apologize if the hotel service and some of the facilities did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I have shared your comments with the staff to ensure that we will take the necessary steps to overcome the shortcomings you mentioned.
With best regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had chosen the cheapest room in the hotel and was pleasantly surprised by its size. The hotel staff were pleasant and friendly and the meals excellent. The breakfast provided was extensive and a great start to any day.The pool was lovely and there was always an adequate suppy of loungers available. The hourly bus to and from the beach (again with loungers provided) was also really handy. The hotel was central to all amenities and was just as described on the web; I will be going back.

Room Tip: The web site warns in advance that (the cheapest) some rooms have steps involved in their access, th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paddy k

Dear paddy k
Thank you for your review and kind comments about the Tivoli Lagos.
We were happy to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your holiday with us.
Look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again and soon.
Kind regards,