“Fantastic Golf Course”

Onyria Palmares Golf
Ranked #41 of 83 Outdoor Activities in Lagos
More attraction details
Owner description: Onyria Palmares Golf is a 27 hole championship course located in Lagos, Algarve, Portugal just 45 minutes from Faro Airport. The course is designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and already awarded with 7 prizes including 26th in Golf Word’s magazine ranking "TOP 100 Europe".The three loops of nine holes – the Alvor, Lagos and Praia courses – enjoy expansive panoramic views across the Bay of Lagos, with each lay-out offering a different kind of golfing challenge in a glorious and natural environment.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have been playing this course for many years now and I can say quite honestly that is the best by a long way on the western Algarve and in my top 3 of the whole Algarve. I regularly bring friends over to my house in the Algarve and this course is their favourite and always the one they want to save for the last day. The vistas are magnificent and the greens in excellent condition all year round - fast and true. Each nine is a different test of golf and on return visits you really get to appreciate what positions and tactics you need to shoot lower numbers. The course is a fair test for different abilities.

The staff are always delightful and very friendly. The food and wine are great too whilst sat on the terrace with panoramic views. I think there are plans to ultimately update the club house which will make the location even better. It won't be long before the hotel is built too - I just hope I can get a tee time lol!!!

Overall one not to miss.

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Mr. Matt-Clancy,
Thank you so much for your visit and for the generous review about Onyria Palmares Golf.
We are very happy to know that we are a part of your itinerary when you are in the Algarve. Your comments about the course condition will be very welcome in our green keeping staff. We recently had a similar review from a journalist that played here with British Ryder Cup Player Gordon Bran which called us a “Putter’s heaven”! I’m sure he had a nice round of putting and I hope you had the same.
We do have some plans for a hotel which we are working on. We will keep you updated on the news, very confident that we will have tee-time for you in any of the 3 starting tees!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great course.........challenging but also forgiving for the higher handicaper like me !! Some great views and every hole is a feature hole.

The view from the terrace/restaurant are worth th entrance money alone, and the food is good value.....been coming back and playing Palmares for the last 7 years.......back next year for sure

Dear Guest,
Many Thanks for your visit to Onyria Palmares and for the very nice comment.
It is fantastic for us to have repeated visitors especially those that have seen all the changes in the last few years!
We are thankful to Robert Trent Jones Jr and his team for the design work here. One of our requests was to have a course flexible enough for all levels of handicap and I think this was achieved. The numerous tee boxes and large greens give this flexibility to the course.
I will share with my colleagues the comment about the restaurant which I’m sure they will be proud.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

27 holes of very good golf. The club house perhaps needs upgraded but you get the most wonderful views on the ocean and the 4th hole is amazing (photo attached). The one downside is the speed of play which was excessively slow at 5hrs 15mins and 4hrs 55mins the second time. Recommended.

1  Thank FrazR

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your visit and for your comment.
We are happy you enjoyed your time here at Onyria Palmares Golf. You mentioned the nice views specially on the 4th hole which I couldn’t agree more. Because of the tide dynamic in Ria de Alvor you will find a different view every time you play the 4th, 5th or 6th holes.
Our fight against “slow-play” will continue as this is the biggest enemy of the game. The maximum time we advise players 2h20 each 9 hole loop, which should be comfortable for any handicap. It’s not easy to manage it when the course has more people but I guess all the industry of golf is pushing for the same goal.
I hope to see you again here sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The best golf course to play in the Algarve, Portugal.

The 9 holes close to the beach are one of the best things i ever saw, very tricky!

The rest of the course has amazing views to the "Ria de Lagos" and its also a great track!

The course is in great shape, greens and fairways are in perfect conditions.

Thanks for this great experience.

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Many Thanks for your fantastic review and specially for your visit to Onyria Palmares Golf.
It’s funny the way you described the holes in the Praia loop. Robert Trent Jones Jr. says that those holes are some kind of a “warmer Scotland”. On one of his first visits, when he saw how close the 22nd tee was from the beach he decided to get his feet on the water!
Thank you for the comment on the course condition. We are lucky to have a good green-keeping team that has passion for the course, understands the game and the value of proper maintenance.
We will hoping to see you sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My first visit. A fantastic experience and would highly recommend. The course was superb and in great condition. Amazing panoramic views. The buggy, bar and pro shop staff were very, very friendly. An absolute privilege to spend the whole day there. After golf, strongly suggest you have a few in the bar and enjoy the peaceful, panoramic views.

2  Thank Janet H

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for you nice comment and for your visit to our golf course.
We are happy to know that you liked our course and that we were able to help you enjoy your day here.
On next visit make sure you play the missing 9 hole loop. We have 27 holes in different scenarios. The first loop called Alvor is parkland golf, the second loop named Lagos is on heathland landscape and the last is links where it got his name “Praia”.
About the terrace there are two sides on the clubhouse, one looking at the Bay of Lagos and other looking at the wonderful estuary of “Ria de Alvor”.
Looking forward for your next at Onyria Palmares.