Maybe at one time Belmar was a truly excellent hotel, there are definitely some signs of it, but it really seemed to be a good bit past it's prime with a number of negatives. We enjoyed our stay in Lagos despite the negatives, but this hotel really leaves a lot to be desired. It wasn't awful, we just expected a lot more based on the price and rating.
Let's start with the positives... Good location near a nice strip of beach with a good beach bar/restaurant nearby (Campimar). Also, the views from the pool areas of the hotel were very nice.
Now, on to the less positive...
1. With a few exceptions (the person I corresponded with via email and one person who drew a map out for us), the staff seemed generally indifferent to our presence. For a 4 star hotel, we spent a lot of time waiting and when we did speak to staff, they generally kept their responses as short and unhelpful as possible. On checking in, we were shoved a stack of papers to sign and fill out without so much of a greeting. Check out was pretty similar. My girlfriend speaks Portugese and had a bit better luck getting more information out of them speaking Portugese than English, but still it was clear that the hotel wouldn't be much help with finding things, getting recommendations, etc. For example, when my girlfriend was trying to find a nail salon, they refused to call saying the place was closed, despite us later being able to reach the place by phone on Skype.
2. The room itself was decent, but badly in need of painting. Numerous paint discolorations and chips, etc. Not 4 star maintenance by any stretch.
3. Wifi was spotty. My laptop was able to get the signal most of the time, but our mobiles (iPhones) often had a hard time picking up their wifi. In 2014 a 4 star hotel needs reliable fast wifi.
4. We're all for saving the environment, but a beach hotel that will only change towels 2x per week or pay a charge? Towels get soaked and sandy, it's unavoidable when you're at the beach and pool. To make matters worse, the room had very poor ventilation (and no fan or window that could be left open when you leave the room), so towels wouldn't really even dry at all when you weren't in the room. When we were in the room, we had to leave the patio door open and the AC fan on in order to get some air flow and get the room to seem less musty.
5. No replacing of bath products unless we asked for them. I think even Holiday Inn replaces bath products without you asking?
6. The breakfast was included, so I won't dwell on it much, but it really wasn't very good at all, worst we had at any hotel in Portugal.
Finally, and perhaps most symbolic of our stay, I was going thru some papers they had left on the table in our room and one of which was a feedback questionnaire - but it was filled out already by the previous guest to stay in the room! Seems a pretty clear signal that Belmar doesn't care much what their guests think.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmar Spa & Beach Resort overlooks the beautiful beach of Porto de Mos in Lagos and comprises studio, one, two and three bedroom apartments and two bedroom townhouses many of which have beach views. The fully equipped accommodation is of a high specification with luxurious interior design and includes satellite TV, DVD player, air conditioning and a fully equipped kitchen (or kitchenette in the studio apartments). The Belmar Spa offers a wide range of luxurious spa rituals in addition to the indoor swimming pool, sauna, Turkish bath and relaxing Chromotherapy suite. The outdoor leisure area comprises a tennis court/multipurpose sports pitch and a children's playground. There are four communal swimming pools, a children’s pool and an outdoor Jacuzzi and Hydrotherapy pool adjoining the spa. This luxury resort is just a five minute drive from the bustling town centre of Lagos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Belmar Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belmar Spa And Beach Resort
- Belmar Spa & Beach Hotel Lagos