“So disappointing we shortened our stay”

Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda
Ranked #26 of 52 Hotels in Lagos
Hong Kong, China
“So disappointing we shortened our stay”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We booked this hotel as a treat at the end of a three week trip around Portugal.

Positives:
Amazing view from the gardens and pool, breakfast was good. Very quiet. Easy walk down to the beach via the cliff path, with two decent restaurants.

Negatives:
The first room we were given was simply not worth €210 a night. The bathroom was basic, very dated, and badly in need of renovation (cracked tiles, taps not working properly). We were reluctantly shown another room (having been told that we should book earlier to get the better rooms- fair enough, but then the less good rooms should be much cheaper). This room was nicer- brighter, more spacious and in better condition.

There was just a feeling with this hotel that the service just wasn't worth the price being paid. We had to ask for everything; eg. pool towels weren't available by the pool, you had to get them from reception, who then seemed puzzled as to why you wanted them. At breakfast, there were eggs available to order (which were very tasty!), but the waitress never mentioned this or asked whether we wanted any, neither was there a menu from which to make a choice. This seemed to be the issue: these services and things were often there to be provided, just not promoted, mentioned or made easily available to the guest.

One night, having walked up from the beach via the cliff path, we arrived at the back entrance to the hotel to find it locked! We had to shout like idiots to get the attention of someone to let us in- a guest finally went to get a member of staff, but we'd been ignored by the waitresses in the resturant who could definitely see us! A bit farcical, really.

These things might sound chirlish, but having shortened our stay from 5 nights to 2, we then went to another boutique hotel near by, and were immediately reassured that our instincts about Vivenda Miranda were correct- the new hotel had exemplary service, everything was thought of, explained and provided, and the rooms fabulous, even if it didn't quite have the location.

Around Portugal, we'd stayed in many €30-60 a night rooms which provided exactly the same level of service as Vivenda Miranda, and this is why I really wasn't happy to stay the full 5 nights.

A shame, and a waste of a stunningly beautiful location.

5 Thank darchadam
VivendaMiranda, Gerente at Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments as we value all feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed and appreciated our views, location and breakfast, although naturally we are disappointed that not everything was to your approval.

To try to answer some of your comments, some of our room are in a traditional contemporary style which appeals to a certain proportion of our guest, whilst some prefer the more individual boutique chic look. Therefore we do have both styles. We are pleased, however, that you were more than satisfied with the alternative room provided.

We were surprised regarding your comments on service as this is something which is normally rated highly by our guests so we can’t understand where we fell down in your case. Pool towels should have been in your room and there is a menu for alternative breakfasts. It must have been an oversight that the eggs were not mentioned as this is a standard and we apologise for this.

Overall we are sorry that on this occasion we failed to surpass your expectations.

Very best wishes,

Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
washingon dc
Reviewed 13 August 2013

we really enjoyed our stay here and would highly recommend this hotel to others. Bed was comfortable, good restaurants nearby (by car), and the pool / viranda / view is amazing. perfect day = morning at the beach, afternoon in the pool area overlooking the ocean with a few drinks.

we didn't eat at the restaurant, so no comments there.

it is definitely a pricier place to stay, but this was our splurge hotel for a couple nights and it was worth it.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The hotel exhumes tranquility and has a very "grown up" feel to it. The moment you step onto the patio area, the stress of every day life can be felt leaving you as you take your first sip of a drink listening to the breeze through the trees in the gardens.
The food was of a very high standard served by attentive staff that are both efficient and friendly without being over bearing. They simply ask you in the morning if you would like to view the menu and reserve an outside table as guests take priority over seating. This was not in any way intrusive but asked to ensure your needs may be met during your stay at the hotel.
The rooms are not air conditioned, however the tower fan that was provided was adequate even though the temperatures were high during our stay.
There were only twin beds pushed together which is the only slight criticism that I would feel worth mentioning, however the room was spacious and included a large bathroom and dressing area.
My partner and I are looking forward to returning to the Miranda when we are able because we know that we will return home feeling incredibly relaxed and refreshed however long the duration.

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The only truth there is the customers truth. I guess everyone experiences situations in different ways. That is fine but I stayed in the same room as the people from Spain, who posted on august 4, 2013. It was room number 5, I recognise it from the pictures. I stayed here from july 30 until august 6, 2013. I have to say I had the absolute opposite experience. It started at Faro airport where a very charming young lady took me to my rental car, I did not expect to get such a big, fast and fully equipped car. So that was positive surprise number 1. When I got to the hotel the same young lady was already there, directing me to a better place to park the car. When I got to the reception to check in, I was offered a glass of Champange while my luggage was carried to my room, number 5. It was very spacious, had a huge flatscreen TV, a wall of storage for your clothes and a bathroom in wich you could dance the Tango in (wich I did actually).The room was positive point 2. Then there were 2 window-doors to the terrace. And there I got my positive points 3, 4, 5 and 6 all in one time. What a view! My first thought was, So this is what paradise looks like...
At the back of the hotel there is a gate to the cliffpath to the beach. It is easy walking. I suffer from fear of hights but even I took the cliffpath every time. There is nothing to it. And if you do not want to take this path, you can go around the hotel and go to the beach by the road. That is about 5 minutes of walking. Yes, one can take the car and park it by the beach if you want. About the terrace having no fence between you and the room next to you, well it brought me a great contact with my neighbours. Very nice people. Then 4 evenings with a 5 course dinner. The waiters were very quick, bringing each course and Always asking how my day was and if I wish for something else. The food was excellent. And in my daily life I go out to restaurants a lot. €30 for a three course meal is not expensive and neither is €42,50 for a five course. Certainly not for that kind of quality. That goes for the great breakfast too. Oh did I mention the bed? It was 2 m by 2.10m. I Always have pain in the back in hotelbeds but not this week. I slept like a baby. Terrace doors open and the sound of the ocean when you fall asleep. And with curtains wich darkens the whole room. But as I said, everyone has his own thruth and my opinion is as much worth as anyone elses. Note to say that it is not a minimalistic, kubistic, design hotel. The main building is 400 years old and so the fabric of the furniture is classical style too. Nothing is cheap or plastic, it is all genuine and everything is of high standard. Okay I will stop now going in to superlatives. It was living in a fairy-tale for me and I certainly will go back. I feel a bit homesick already.

Room Tip: Room number 5 (but please do not book it all of you because I want it to be available when I go back...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MajaMiez2013
Baldock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel has potentially everything going for it. BUT, I can only agree with the recent comments on this hotel.
Beautiful location, lovely garden and view. Staff were great. Sadly management appears to have an inflated idea of the existing quality of the offer here as they appear to feel it is 'way above' other hotels or restaurants in the area which despite the lovely location and great staff they are not. It seems they feel this justifies the inflated prices.
It is strange that my polite and constructive review on the booking site I used (clue in the name!) appears to have vetoed by management and I remain a little questioning over the lack of reviews actually published - odd I feel.
Trip advisor reviews should help potential bookers.
This could be one of the best hotels, so management please put in the investment or price appropriately.
I look forward to seeing what happens

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Hertsonaroll
VivendaMiranda, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Guest

Firstly we would like to thank you for your review and your very positive comments about our location, gardens and view as well as our great staff. We are sorry that you found the restaurant not to your particular taste.

We are a little perplexed though, as to your comments about your polite and constructive views on the booking site used as we are not aware of these and have certainly vetoed nothing. We of course welcome feedback either directly to our hotel staff at the time of your visit or by other means.

If you could take the time to let us know where we can find these comments we will gladly respond.

Best wishes

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2013

For the price we paid I expected a nice room, however the bedroom was to a three star standard. The furniture was disappointing and the mini bar was sitting on the floor under the TV. The entrance door frame was cut so the key can turn in the lock. There isn’t an iron and ironing board available but instead reception told me I could bring my clothes to reception and housekeeping will iron them. I asked how much this will cost and she didn’t know.

The restaurant staff are not friendly or helpful. At the time of making a reservation for dinner you have to decide what you want to eat that evening. I hadn’t expected this in a hotel that is busy. We went with the 3 course menu and the portions were tiny so we assumed it must have being a tasting menu but it didn’t say this on the menu. The waiter was very attentive until the main course was served. From then on I had to get the wine and water from the nearby table.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 505Darren
VivendaMiranda, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear guest

I understand that you had room 102 which is in the Villa and to date has proved to be a popular room with our guests.

We are also sorry that we were unable to make an iron and ironing board but as a full service hotel, our practice has always been to perform this service for our guests. We ensure in future our reception staff are knowledgeable about any costs involved should this service be required.

It is unusual for us to receive a comment about our restaurant staff being unfriendly and normally the feedback is quite to the contrary. We will of course address this issue with them. The only reason for making your choice on reserving dinner is to ensure that your meal is served in a timely manner and that you are assured of the meal of your choice will be available. However you are perfectly at liberty to decide at the time. There is both the ẚ la carte menu as well as a degustation (tasting) menu which can be either 3 or 5 courses. We will ensure in future that our guests are aware of these choices, as much depends on the expectation and the size of appetite.

Thank you for your feedback and we will do our best to ensure that the issues you have raised are fully addressed.

Urs Wild, General Manager
sao paulo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Ok, the view is spetacular! By the way, that's the first appeal of this place. Unfortunately, it's the only one.
My wife and I stayed in a junior suite. Spacious rooms, terrace opens to the garden. The decoration is out-of-date and needs renovation. Instead of a king size bed, twin beds side by side. That's not my idea of a romantic room. The room had no air conditioning! A hotel by the beach in portuguese summer with no air conditioning really surprised me.
The bathroom was very small and the shower had no pressure at all. Worst shower of our 2-week trip to Portugal.
We were supposed to stay 3 nights but we decided to move on after the second night. The staff is just ok and not that helpful.
The breaksfat was average and we had a very good seafood cataplana for lunch the first day, but the mandatory 5-course dinner was a great disappointment. Very poor value for the money.
The price of the hotel is not worthy of its quality. After all, the view is just a part of the whole hotel experience.

Room Tip: If there's one room with air conditioning, pick this one. The ones in the newer building have up...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pero_brown
VivendaMiranda, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Guest

We were of course disappointed to read your review as we pride ourselves not only on our spectacular location but our unique 18th century property and attention to the needs of all our guests.

We are permanently in the process of renovating and redecorating our rooms and as part of that process, installing air conditioning for all the rooms. This of course has to be done carefully and sensitively due to the age of the property which is also part of its charm.

With regard to the bed, if you had mentioned this to reception at the time, we could have adapted the beds to king-size as we have special linens with which to do this, depending on the preferences of the guest. This must have been an oversight in your case and we will ensure in future that we include these wishes in the reservation process. We have rarely had complaints about the water pressure in our showers, so it is possible that there may have been a fault in your system. Had you reported this at the time we would have immediately had maintenance check the problem as we realise a good shower is important to all of our guests.

I’m glad you enjoyed the cataplana but sorry you did not enjoy the 5 course taster menu. This is normally very popular with both our staying guests and the many outside visitors to the hotel and restaurant.

I’m sorry that most of these issues could not have been addressed during your stay, but have taken on board your comments so we can do our best to ensure that all our guests enjoy their experience at Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda.

Yours sincerely.