“Great stay at the Marina Club”

Marina Club Lagos Resort
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I just got back from a 5 day stay at the Marina Club and was definitely happy with the experience. We stayed in 2 bedroom apartment in the "C" building. The apartment exceeded my expectations - it was bright and spacious, well equipped kitchen, and had a massive balcony with a beautiful view of the pool area (which was lovely itself - the pool is a huge selling point). This building had a lift - I noticed others mentioned their buildings did not.

Most of all I would say the location can not be beat - about a 10 minute walk to the center of Lagos, about 10 minutes or so to the nearest beach, and right on the Marina - it was perfect, and we didn't need to use the car unless we felt like a day trip somewhere.

Of course nothing is perfect and although these are not major complaints, the few things that bothered me were: very very thin and uncomfortable pillows for the beds, and a shower that did not drain properly, with no response to the request for maintenance. The TV was small, but you're not really there to watch TV so that's not a big deal to me. And it would have been nice to have some basics provided by the Marina Club - such as tissues, washing up liquid for dishes, and clocks (no clocks anywhere in the apartment so bring something if you want to wake up in the morning).

But overall it was a great stay, I was impressed and if I returned to Lagos I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank rjs28

Reviewed 25 July 2008

I have mixed feelings about this property. On the one hand, I was initially disappointed in the two-bedroom apt. that we had. The furnishings were sparse and furniture was made of hard plastic except for a stained denim-upholstered couch with a sofa bed that was not functional. The TV was also small, old, and had a distinct buzz when it was turned off! The marble reception area was also kind of sterile (not a major issue though...just personal taste). On the other hand, the property kind of grew on me over my stay...the staff was friendly, parking is not a problem, and the kitchen facilities were functional and well equipped. There's also a lively restaurant and bar scene adjacent to the hotel in the Marina. I suspect, on the basis of photos on this site, that some "wings" of the property have been renovated or are newer and are in better condition that others. I would recommend asking for rooms in the same wing of the hotel as the reception desk, but this is just a hunch. Guests at this hotel should be prepared for its popularity with families that have children and the tendency of the children to monopolize the hotel's only public-access computer (watching Youtube over and over). In keeping with another reviewer, it should also be noted that there are 50-something steps from the ground-level to the third floor rooms in our wing of the "club". This was not a problem for my family, but those with small kids and with physical limitations should take note (given the absence of an elevator). In the final analysis, I wouldn't rule this place out for a future stay though. The pool is nice and the sun is bright.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Myself, aged 52 and my partner 43 stayed at these apartments for two weeks from the 8th of June 2008, and they were lovely.
We went on the recommendation of a friend who has been going there for the last 3 summers.
The reception was all marble and very nice and all the staff were very helpful, check in went quickly and we were soon in our apartment..
Our apartment on the 2nd floor looked onto the swimming pool and marina and it had an enormous balcony which was great for sitting out on.
The actual apartment itself was huge and had a seperate bedroom with plenty of cupboard space.
The open plan kitchen was well layed out and had everything you needed for a self catering holiday.
We went down to the large swimming pool most days usually after 4pm and never had a problem getting a sun bed.
Lovely big beach towels are provided free of charge for guests.
The Marina Club as it's name would suggest is right next to the lovely Lagos marina which has loads of different sized boats and yachts which are great to look at.
There are also many nice bars and restaurants and shops close by.
You need to walk over a bridge which is 5/10 minutes from the apartment and you are onto the main street of Lagos itself.
Lagos itself is a very nice old town which is certainly worth spending time seeing and exploring.
We used the local Onda buses for exploring places nearby and took a few train trips to other resorts, the train station is only 5 minutes from the Marina Club.
We spent most of out time doing beach walks or cliff walks and looking at the lovely scenery all around Lagos.
We went on the boat trip to the caves and the dolphin safari and they were both superb.
There are loads of lovely restaurants all over Lagos also.
We very much enjoyed out two weeks and are sure to be back again soon and we will stay once again at the Marina Club.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 19 April 2008

We stayed 4 nights here, got a great price by just walking in late afternoon - EUR100 per night for a one bedroom. It was the week after Easter, so still far from high season. The rooms were nice, bright and clean. Everything is new, the kitchen in the room is good and there is a nice big balcony. The breakfast was okay not amazing though. They didn't replenish the bread and fruit too often so it was slim pickings a lot of the time. If you're going to be driving around the Algarve, this is a good spot to be since there is lots of parking and it's easy to get in and out of Lagos from this location. We took day trips from this hotel to other beaches, hikes along the coastline, inland to Montchique, etc. and this was a convenient place to do that from.

Don't bother paying the extra fee for the fitness facility in the hotel. There is a municipal sport center within walking distance that costs just a few Euro a visit and has a lot more equipment. Just make sure you have your own workout towel with you.

The only negatives I would say are that A) internet service is very slow and B) the sofas in the living room are not the most comfortable in the world, although not bad either. Also, you need to walk 10 minutes to get to the old center. In my opinion, it was worth it to stay in a newer, cleaner place and have a little walk to and from dinner. When choosing a room, take the pool view which is better than the sea view. Sea view looks over the parking lot with the beach quite a way beyond that. Also not bad though. It just seems more resort like to be looking at the pool, bar and restaurant.

I made a video of this place, now where do I post it? I guess it doesn't go together with the review like photos do.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sanfrantraveler
Reviewed 28 October 2007

Stayed in these apartments first week in October. Our apartment was certainly 4 star when you went in the door. The bathroom I would only give 3 star - I would worry that maintenance standards might be slipping, but then maybe we were going in at the end of the season. The apartment itself was spacious, modern and extremely well equipped and we had a great balcony overlooking the marina. If I had to be critical - a larger TV wouldn't go astray. The one we had looked a little miserable in the corner of the large living room! The other complaint would be in relation to the bathroom. By comparison to other 4 star bathrooms I have experienced (and even 3 star) this left a lot to be desired. The towels provided were mean in every sense. An extra one or two would have been great as the bath towel was small and all the towels were thin and worn looking. A few chipped tiles, a loose shower holder and a loo seat that definitely needed replacing, did not add to the overall experience. Toiletries were also in short supply - no soap? There's no hairdryer or iron provided here either, so you need to carry those. However, it would not put me off staying here again, as everything else is perfect for a week away. We were visiting at a quiet time of year, so there was no issue about beds around the pool. I suspect it could be different in high season. The hotel itself is situated in a great spot with some bars and shops nearby and the town of Lagos itself a short walk away over a foot-bridge. The train station is also very close and allows visitors a great way to get to other places along the coast. The beach is a 10 to 15 min walk away and was peaceful and beautiful at the time we visited. Don't bother with the gypsy market. I bought a scarf in the shops in Lagos and the same one was dearer in the market. I found the experience awful in every sense! The weather was unsettled to start, but with the various means of escape at your doorstep, this was not a problem. A few days in it settled and it was simply glorious. So all in all a good week and I would go again at this time of year.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xjbx
Reviewed 24 September 2007

10 days in this beautiful resort hotel was quite simply not enough. We took our 20month son, along with Nana & Grandpa and opted for the 3 bed appartment in the new block. Arriving about Midnight we opened the door & couldn't believe our eyes.

A MASSIVE open plan living room, 3 huge double bedrooms and a terrace overlooking the pool/harbour along with a table & 6 chairs and 2 giant leather armchairs.

The Marina is literally on your front doorstep, with some superb bars and restaurants. The Old Town is 10 mins walk and has superb fish restaurants. Try O Henriques for the best Monkfish ever.

The space in the apartment meant that Mum & Dad were not tripping over Nana & Grandpa, and nights in weren't the 'short-straw' choice.

This place is just pure quality, at tremendous value for money.
If you're thinking of an Algarve getaway..this is it.....

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank JudesHoliday
Reviewed 24 September 2007

We have just enjoyed 8 days in marina club.

As others have said, the rooms are great, we stayed in a 2 bed apt in block II. Big rooms, lounge and good kitchenette.

Big problem was that this block has no lifts, which we did not know when booking. We have 2 kids, 2 and half and 9 months, and we were on the top floor and so had to climb up 6 flights of stairs all the time which was a complete pain. This made the stay less than perfect.

We had B&B and the breakfast was fine, didn't seem to have much of a take up but then we were there early with the kids.

The pool area was safe and the towels were good, but again more stairs to go up and down to get them.
The pool was very cold though which meant it was rarely used and the kids did not want to go in and swim.
I had a hot stone massage at the spa which was lovely and not too pricey. To charge residents 10 euro a day to use the gym and facilities was not good, and meant it was empty.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Location great.
Lovely marina, with a few restaurants and bars, not the really busy marinas I have been to before.
Great beach 10 minutes walk away, big and unspoilt.
15 minute easy walk into town.

Ate out every night and did not have a bad meal. On the marina we liked West which was on the upper bit of restaurants.
In town, Dos Artistas, No Patio and a pizzeria on the corner up from the big square.

Overall would recommend Lagos and the Marina Club, but just be aware of the lack of lifts in the block II.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family