“Its ok hotel”

Marina Club Lagos Resort
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I stayed here for a week in april, it is a nice hotel and its clean etc etc. But the down side is the pool is freezing, if you wanted to use the gym or the indoor pool it is 15 quid or something. The hotel is not the cheapest to stay in. you would find much better value somewhere else. I would stay there again but it is pricey. 2euro for a can of 7up is a bit much. It was dead this yr as well in april. My advice, find somewhere cheaper.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank langer123

Reviewed 10 February 2009

I just wanna say The Marina Club was an absolutely beautiful hotel! My top 3 bits were: #1: THE OUTDOOR SWIMMING POOL I'm a big fan of swimming. The outdoor pool was huge and very modern! It's very kind of the hotel to let me use my rubber ring in their pool! You can buy rubber rings in the town for only 2 euros. #2: THE INDOOR HEATED POOL It was really, very comfortable and relaxing in there! It was the life! Unfortunately, they charge you 10 euros to get in, but I went in it during my last few days. One day, I was supposed to meet my family at a fish restaurant in the town, but I totally enjoyed the heated pool so much, I actually missed to go and meet them! Lol! #3: THE BAR I just wanna say it's better than any bar back in my home country! The drinking age limit in Portugal is 16! Lol! I was able to buy all the Magners I cud drink cuz Magners is my favourite alcoholic drink! It tastes good and it's actually a healthy brew! I was also able to watch Big Brother 9 on the bar's computer on YouTube! During the summer, I was watching the whole series of Big Brother 9. I really wanted to know who won the series! Marina Club's totally awesome! I highly recommend this hotel to any fans of Portugal vacations!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank PokeVisor
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Spent a week here in late September, 2 adults in a studio room.

Chose the hotel for its location (close to Lagos old town, & a good base for day trips out by car). In that respect it was fine; the pool area was good, and we found the buffet breakfast "acceptable" (the "hot" food items were generally cold , unless you hit lucky with timing, but overall quality was better than expected).

The major downside was the studio room we booked, in which the bathroom and the kitchenette area was fine; but the sleeping arrangements were poor. Comprised two (uncomfortable; far too soft) sofa beds, one either side of a big room. My fault, I should have checked, but please note before booking that the photos on the hotel website don't actually show you a studio room. I guess I assumed that one of the pictures was of a studio room, was caught out, and ended up... disappointed.

One other (minor) gripe was that the only mirror in the room was the one in the bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zlatan_King_of_TA
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I just got back from a 5 day stay at the Marina Club and was definitely happy with the experience. We stayed in 2 bedroom apartment in the "C" building. The apartment exceeded my expectations - it was bright and spacious, well equipped kitchen, and had a massive balcony with a beautiful view of the pool area (which was lovely itself - the pool is a huge selling point). This building had a lift - I noticed others mentioned their buildings did not.

Most of all I would say the location can not be beat - about a 10 minute walk to the center of Lagos, about 10 minutes or so to the nearest beach, and right on the Marina - it was perfect, and we didn't need to use the car unless we felt like a day trip somewhere.

Of course nothing is perfect and although these are not major complaints, the few things that bothered me were: very very thin and uncomfortable pillows for the beds, and a shower that did not drain properly, with no response to the request for maintenance. The TV was small, but you're not really there to watch TV so that's not a big deal to me. And it would have been nice to have some basics provided by the Marina Club - such as tissues, washing up liquid for dishes, and clocks (no clocks anywhere in the apartment so bring something if you want to wake up in the morning).

But overall it was a great stay, I was impressed and if I returned to Lagos I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank rjs28
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I have mixed feelings about this property. On the one hand, I was initially disappointed in the two-bedroom apt. that we had. The furnishings were sparse and furniture was made of hard plastic except for a stained denim-upholstered couch with a sofa bed that was not functional. The TV was also small, old, and had a distinct buzz when it was turned off! The marble reception area was also kind of sterile (not a major issue though...just personal taste). On the other hand, the property kind of grew on me over my stay...the staff was friendly, parking is not a problem, and the kitchen facilities were functional and well equipped. There's also a lively restaurant and bar scene adjacent to the hotel in the Marina. I suspect, on the basis of photos on this site, that some "wings" of the property have been renovated or are newer and are in better condition that others. I would recommend asking for rooms in the same wing of the hotel as the reception desk, but this is just a hunch. Guests at this hotel should be prepared for its popularity with families that have children and the tendency of the children to monopolize the hotel's only public-access computer (watching Youtube over and over). In keeping with another reviewer, it should also be noted that there are 50-something steps from the ground-level to the third floor rooms in our wing of the "club". This was not a problem for my family, but those with small kids and with physical limitations should take note (given the absence of an elevator). In the final analysis, I wouldn't rule this place out for a future stay though. The pool is nice and the sun is bright.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Myself, aged 52 and my partner 43 stayed at these apartments for two weeks from the 8th of June 2008, and they were lovely.
We went on the recommendation of a friend who has been going there for the last 3 summers.
The reception was all marble and very nice and all the staff were very helpful, check in went quickly and we were soon in our apartment..
Our apartment on the 2nd floor looked onto the swimming pool and marina and it had an enormous balcony which was great for sitting out on.
The actual apartment itself was huge and had a seperate bedroom with plenty of cupboard space.
The open plan kitchen was well layed out and had everything you needed for a self catering holiday.
We went down to the large swimming pool most days usually after 4pm and never had a problem getting a sun bed.
Lovely big beach towels are provided free of charge for guests.
The Marina Club as it's name would suggest is right next to the lovely Lagos marina which has loads of different sized boats and yachts which are great to look at.
There are also many nice bars and restaurants and shops close by.
You need to walk over a bridge which is 5/10 minutes from the apartment and you are onto the main street of Lagos itself.
Lagos itself is a very nice old town which is certainly worth spending time seeing and exploring.
We used the local Onda buses for exploring places nearby and took a few train trips to other resorts, the train station is only 5 minutes from the Marina Club.
We spent most of out time doing beach walks or cliff walks and looking at the lovely scenery all around Lagos.
We went on the boat trip to the caves and the dolphin safari and they were both superb.
There are loads of lovely restaurants all over Lagos also.
We very much enjoyed out two weeks and are sure to be back again soon and we will stay once again at the Marina Club.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 19 April 2008

We stayed 4 nights here, got a great price by just walking in late afternoon - EUR100 per night for a one bedroom. It was the week after Easter, so still far from high season. The rooms were nice, bright and clean. Everything is new, the kitchen in the room is good and there is a nice big balcony. The breakfast was okay not amazing though. They didn't replenish the bread and fruit too often so it was slim pickings a lot of the time. If you're going to be driving around the Algarve, this is a good spot to be since there is lots of parking and it's easy to get in and out of Lagos from this location. We took day trips from this hotel to other beaches, hikes along the coastline, inland to Montchique, etc. and this was a convenient place to do that from.

Don't bother paying the extra fee for the fitness facility in the hotel. There is a municipal sport center within walking distance that costs just a few Euro a visit and has a lot more equipment. Just make sure you have your own workout towel with you.

The only negatives I would say are that A) internet service is very slow and B) the sofas in the living room are not the most comfortable in the world, although not bad either. Also, you need to walk 10 minutes to get to the old center. In my opinion, it was worth it to stay in a newer, cleaner place and have a little walk to and from dinner. When choosing a room, take the pool view which is better than the sea view. Sea view looks over the parking lot with the beach quite a way beyond that. Also not bad though. It just seems more resort like to be looking at the pool, bar and restaurant.

I made a video of this place, now where do I post it? I guess it doesn't go together with the review like photos do.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple