“Exactly what we wanted!”

Canavial I & II Apartments
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Lagos
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Exactly what we wanted!”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Arrived at Canavial earlier this month for a 7 night stay. On arrival we were greeted by a very warm welcome, and had local beaches, restaurants and bars pointed out on a map for us with directions on how to get there by walking or car and how long it would take. We were then asked by the gentleman if we would like a car and we decided we would like to rent a motorbike, this was a very quick phone call away and within just a few hours of being in Portugal we had a motorbike for the week for a reasonable 100 euros.

After being shown to our room and the pool and around the grounds, we were left to enjoy our week peacefully however the staff were on hand easily if we needed any help with a ring of the bell at reception. My girlfriend was ill one night and was sick in bed, and the covers were changed for her the next day with no extra charge and it didn't seem like any extra trouble for the friendly maids.

On the day of our departure we told the manager we had to check out of the apartments at 2.30am (at this point there is usually nobody on the desk which is why we asked) and the manager said that if nobody was there we were fine to leave the key at the desk. When we were leaving however he was still about and stayed up to wave us off which was a really nice touch. Would definitely recommend a stay at these apartments, as would my girlfriend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 October 2012

First of all- finding this place was a real challenge. Our GPS device couldn't find it, so we spent quite some time trying to track it down. Make sure you look up directions before you're on the road!

This place was perfectly reasonable for the price and location. It's tired and dingy, but it's outside of the craziness of downtown Lagos and it's close to a number of beaches. The pool area is decent, especially when trying to catch the last rays of sun on a too-short vacation.

My two major complaints- 1. The safe didn't work (it was rusted open) and 2. You can't leave your curtains open for natural light without exposing your entire room to folks walking by.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phosphora
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Having been to Lagos before and thought it was a wonderful town we decided to go back and stayed for a week at the Canavial appartments in October. Firstly the negative points, the room was fine but the pillows and the quilt cover thing that was on the bed did smell a bit funny and the cover had cigarette burns in it, the sheets were perfectly laundered however.We noticed that someone put theirs out to air during the day so we were not alone in our observation. The kitchen was adequate but had an old style kettle which you had to boil on the hob, you get used to it but an electric kettle would have been better.The toilet and sink were spotless unfortunately the bath area was poor with mould in the tile grout and the shower cutain was torn and had mould on it.The sealant around the bath and in general was poorly applied and made it look even worse. For the sake of about 20 euros and a couple of hours work the bathroom would have been perfect. The garden was nice but the pool although crystal clear had lots of tiles missing, i'm sure that will be remedied during their shut down. The place itself is a good 20 mins walk from the town which was OK for the first few days but got to be a pain walking with heavy groceries in the heat and back from the restaurants at night, get a cab 4-5 euros and well worth it.
The closest beach is a 10 min walk but the road is steep so your calf muscles will ache on the way back up.Good points, if you want quiet peaceful surrounding its ideal, the people who own and work there are really friendly and there is some stunning scenery and fabulous beaches if you walk along the cliffs. Would we reccomend you stay there, Absolutely,if you're after cheap basic clean accomodation and don't mind walking it's a must or hire a car. If the people who own Canavial read this i hope my comments have not offended you they are not intended to. You have a lovely place but the small things can make all the difference to people who stay with you. Obrigado.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rocket355
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Spotlessly clean apartments with friendly staff and management. Every thing is to hand with beautiful beaches in close proximity and a twenty minute walk into town where there are great restaraunts and bars. A really good place to stay for couples or families using the apartments as a base to visit the Algarve and surrounding areas, water parks and marine life at the zoo marine.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I am currently staying here, but I couldn't wait to get home to write a review, on arrival I was greater by two lovely gentleman, and being a female with a young child they made me feel welcome and safe, they took time to show me around and to make sure everything was good for me, as I was informed when I booked I should pay up on arrival, they didn't even ask, so after I settled in my room I went to find them to pay. They gave me the code for the free wi-fi. Later that evening I want out for a walk to meet my friend who was staying in a nearby hotel, the manager drove past me, then stopped to make sure I was ok and knew where I was going, which I thought was very kind. My 1st night was great, and you have a control to get the room to the right temperature, I've been here 3 days up to yet and I'm having a fantastic stay, my room is cleaned everyday with fresh towels and new toilet roll, I will deffinately be staying here again, made to feel safe and welcome and that for me being a young female with a young infant is very important, very nice staff

• Stayed October 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We have had 3 holidays here and all have been very pleasant and enjoyable. It is quiet. It is about 25 minutes road walk into Lagos where there plenty of good restaurants at reasonable prices and others that are a little nearer: we like a walk after our meal and this is about the right distance back. There is a 1.5 hour cliff top walk (take water) into Luz where you can get meals before returning. You can also go the long way into Lagos along the coast footpath (About 1 hour). Porta de Mos which is 8 minutes walk - has an excellent beach. There is a small supermarket about 15 minutes walk and big ones, 5 mins drive away. The rooms have all you basically need, a3rd bed can be added. many cook their own evening meals. The rooms are kept very clean. Outside sun loungers and pool allow you to relax on site. Owner is very pleasant and helpful. Wifi Access. Some bikes available. We like it very much.

Room Tip: Ask the owner for a room to suite you. There are rooms overlooking the pool and some around the corn...