“Simple, clean, good location”

Carvi Beach Hotel Algarve
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We've stayed at Carvi for 5 nights and were rather satisfied with our stay. Everyone keeps talking about its location and I agree that Praia Dona Ana just beside your door makes it nice, however please be aware that this beach is small and is EXTREMELY busy. Also that the sea is quite cold even in the middle of summer :)
Back to the hotel, the staff makes a huge difference for this place - they are on duty 24 hours, speak excellent English and are very friendly and helpful. We had a side sea facing room with huge terrace and loved it.
Breakfast is simple but tasty but coffee is so sooooo bad :(
When you walk up the hill and to the left, there's a very nice restaurant Amigo serving decent food and drinks. If you go to the right, you will reach Spar after 5 minutes walking and the old town after another 5 minutes.
Make sure to do kayaking trip with any of the tour companies, it's definitely worth it!

Room Tip: The sea side facing rooms on the higher floors (we've been on the 3rd) have large terraces
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AlenKa1010

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Definitely worth it. I stayed at this hotel for four nights. Yes, to my mind it is somewhat overpriced. Breakfast is just ok. However, the location is really excellent. Literally one minute and you are at Praia Dona Ana. A view from my balcony on the third floor was just gorgeous (make sure that you get a room with sea view). It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the downtown. It's not bad really. First, it's an easy walk. Second, after dinner and wine/port/beer you have to walk for a while. Right? I would certainly stay there again. BUT I will not park my car beneath the trees in front of the hotel entrance. Those flying creatures are ready to destroy your car :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ktaam
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I visited here for a week in July. Although the room was on the small side it did have a balcony and we don't go on holiday to just sit in the room so this wasn't an issue for us. The other downside is there wasn't a fridge in the room but once again it's not a deal breaker. If you can get past those two downsides the hotel is fab! You have the beautiful Praia Da Ana beach on your doorstep and beautiful views! It's a 10-15 minute walk in to town and the location for us was perfect, we had the chilled beach atmosphere by the hotel and could walk into town for the more touristy side of Lagos.
The other point that really stood out for me were the reception staff, nothing was too much trouble and they were extremely helpful!
Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WLN
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Beach Hotel Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear WLN,

Thank you for the great review! Sounds like you had a great vacation and enjoyed your time in Lagos. Although we do what we can to provide a great hotel, vacation are better spent outside on the beach enjoyed the sun!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I've just finished a stay of three days in this hotel and was not happy with it. It was overprice to say the least and it came short in many ways. I will not repeat its shortcomings as other guests have already enumerated them. I'll not recommend this hotel to anyone, there are other better options in Lagos. For a better beach, if you have a car, drive towards Sagres, on the way there on the left there is a beautiful wide beach with turquoise water and plenty of parking.

Room Tip: Choose a suite if you insist on staying here.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Raul V,

We apologize for the poor stay you have just had with us. I wish you would have stated your problems so that we could address them and improve upon them but hopefully we are already in the process of fixing them. Hope you had a relaxing trip home!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my daughter for the second time and I hope to stay at Carvi again. The location of the hotel is superb! It is very close to one of the most spectacular beaches in Lagos. At the same time it is not far from other beaches and from the cliff trail that affords breathtaking views of the ocean. It takes approximately 20 minutes to walk to town but there are a few shops and restaurants nearby so if you want to eat/ do some shopping locally, it is possible. Also, it is easy to take a bus or taxi and go to the centre of Lagos.
The hotel itself is wonderful. Beautiful lounge area, clean rooms (I stayed in the room with a garden view; I loved the greenery and the flowering agapanthuses!), wonderful swimming pool on the roof and breakfast served in a nice spacious room on the ground floor. Breakfast exceeded my wildest dreams. I adore fruit and Carvi serves an abundance of seasonal fresh fruit. This is topped up with a choice of delicious Portuguese bread, yoghurts, jams, cheese, ham, scrambled eggs, sausages etc. In a nutshell, I cannot think of anything else that could be added to make it better.
Staff working in the hotel is fantastic! Helpful, knowledgeable, professional and smiling. They will make your stay as pleasurable as possible and they will answer all your questions. Make sure to ask what they recommend in terms of places to see and local restaurants! Silvia from the reception is fantastic! All of the staff are! Girls working in the pool bar will prepare really good food at reasonable prices and they will make you delicious Portuguese coffee.
The management of the hotel is superb! Silvia, the manager, responds to enquiries super fast and will make sure reasonable requests are met. If you come back, you will see that the hotel improves each year and responds to feedback.
Overall, absolutely wonderful hotel that will make your stay in Portugal even more enjoyable! The ONLY place in Lagod to stay at!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank hheelleennaas
Judite P, Owner at Carvi Beach Hotel Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2015

Dear Hheelleennaas,
Love the unique spelling of your username and am thrilled with the review. It was especially nice to hear that you are one of our repeat guests, which in itself tells us a lot about your preference. Thank you for sharing your experience in such detail. These are some of the reasons that make us work even harder to ensure that each guest feel welcome, comfortable and leave with a memorable vacation, wanting to return. We do hope that you return again this year and that I have an opportunity to meet you in person to thank you for your patronage.
In order to keep abreast of current promotions, such as our Early Booking Promotion and updated on events, please follow us on our FB page or Twitter.

Kind Regards,

Judite Pedro

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My first thought when I arrived at this hotel was that it was a basic hotel. The room was small, there only one chair and one glass between the two of us, no fridge, no kettle and no iron. There was only one English Channel on the tiny television which was BBC news and after two days the channel froze. No full length mirror only one half length mirror in the bathroom. The view outside my window was of the wall. However the staffs were very polite and friendly towards us. They tried their best to make our holiday enjoyable.
The beach and the views around the hotel is absolutely beautiful, it made my stay at the hotel worth it. Breakfast was ok, if you want something to eat apart from pizza and chips during the day you have to find a restaurant outside the hotel.

Room Tip: No a standard room because you would get a view of the wall.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Queenj2014,

Thank you for taking a minute to leave us a review of your stay. Although our staff did a great job of making your stay enjoyable, I would like to address a few things. We do our best to provide as many amenities to our guests as possible, but unfortunately we cannot give everything we, and you, would want. Considering our 3-Star level, providing Satellite channels, mini-fridges, etc. is something that is impossible for us. Ideally we would give you everything under the sun to make you happy but we are only able to do so much.

As for the food options on property, our staff should have communicated that the pool bar makes great sandwiches, burgers, fries and much more. Unfortunately our Pool bar goes overlooked because of the great beaches in the area but if you do return, grab a burger and you will not be disappointed!

Hope you travelled home safe and comfortably!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I am reviewing this hotel from a one night stay gest point of view. Therefore I cannot advise on longer stays...
For us who love to move around it fit the bill. Older hotel, partially renovated. Spartan rather than minimalist room. Nice large balcony - looking to the back of the building. Was quiet at night. The relict hotel that is being frequently described in other reviews did not bother us much... Nice places to hike along the beautiful coastline nearby. Dona Ana beach is a short walk down. Short walk to Camilo beach and restaurant too, short drive to Punta do Piedade.
Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Piramidon,

Thank you for taking a minute to write us a review. Hopefully next time we will have a longer stay in order to beat your expectations! Hope you travelled home safely!