“Great location, average facilities, high price”
Review of Villas D. Dinis

Villas D. Dinis
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Lagos
Sintra, Portugal
“Great location, average facilities, high price”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I am really surprised with the high rating of this place. The whole compound felt very small and packed and not really suitable for families. The apartment is not definetely 4 stars as it feels out of date, small and lacking basic utilities in the kitchen. The location is great but for similar price nicer places are available in the area.

• Stayed May 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Littleborough
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here with my husband for three nights and booked a double room. There was a little confusion over the booking when I arrived (partly my fault) and I think there was an assumption that there were 4 people in my party instead of two. Because of this we were given quite a large apartment which was OK but not what I had been hoping for even though it appeared to be an upgrade. I was hoping for one of the lovely double rooms shown on the website. The apartment (No 10) is rather dark and dreary but clean and spacious. As time went on the owner realized there had been confusion and tried to find out from me what had gone wrong (2 bookings in my name - language barrier). We finally got to the bottom of it but he said it was a shame as the double bedrooms were more romantic. By this time it was too late to move but he did show me around and the new block rooms were beautiful - highly recommended.

The grounds are well kept and clean and tidy and the owner and staff are all very welcoming. Breakfast is very good with a great choice of fresh fruit, yogurts, meats and cheeses and well as lovely little cakes and bread choices. There is scrambled egg and baked beans available but it wasn't the same without the bacon. The owner asked how breakfast could be improved so we said bacon and mushrooms too please.

The hotel is a good 20 minute walk into the centre of Lagos so bear this in mind if you like to be central. Come out of the hotel and turn right towards the lighthouse and there are some lovely coved bays called Camilo. A walk around the lighthouse is also a must as the views and cliffs are very impressive.

You must go to the O Camilo Restaurant overlooking Camilo bay (10 minute walk). The views are lovely, the food is gorgeous and the staff are excellent. You must book!

Last but not least you must go to Amigos which is a pub next door to the hotel. The bar staff are very friendly and it is just like a little English pub.

All in all a great holiday and I would return back and do it all again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newly refurbished block.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PaulaLittleborough
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The room is really nice! Every 2 villas have a pool. Its area is quiet and nice, and it is close to supearket and restaurant.

Dislike:
1. The wifi doesnt work sometimes
2. The man at the reception seemed pissed off by the last guest, he was not welcoming. And he took my passport for scanning woithout imforming me first. I know many hotel do so nowadays, but I need your respect.

Overall, the hotel is really nice. There are not many nice hotel in this area, there is one besides the dona ana beach but it is over priced.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Orpington, UK
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A pretty, charming and quirky place to stay, with pretty lush gardens and three small pools which are floodlit at night. Our room was large and had a lovely patio and a great bathroom. The location was great; just far enough out of Lagos to be quiet (15 minutes walk into the town) and near two beaches. Sadly neither of these was accessible during the time we were there. The otel is withing walking distance of two very good restaurants, and a little bar is almost next door. This serves food too. The two downsides to our stay were that breakfast was not available as March was not "high season", and that at the sister hotel 10 minutes walk away was quite expensive. It would have been good (and courteous perhaps??) to give this piece of information on booking. The other small feature was that although the room and bathroom were cleaned daily (very well) the towels were not changed or indeed straightened and re-hung. Whilst I have no problem in these environmentally sensitive times with towels being changed only every 2 or 3 days, I would expect the bathroom to have been tidied and the towels and bathmat re-hung. Having said that, everything else about the bathroom was great - good walk-in shower, plenty of hot water and good quality towels. Overall a nice place to stay which I can recommend. But do ask about breakfast!

West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We chose this hotel based on the great reviews we'd read and we weren't disappointed. We visited Lagos earlier this month (March) so it's not full-swing holiday season meaning the hotel was quieter than I imagine it is in the summer.

We'd booked a studio but were delighted to find the apartment was actually a one-bed flat with a separate bedroom to the living/dining area. The kitchenette is tiny but does the job. There are two rings on the hob, a toaster, kettle, coffee maker, fridge, microwave and the necessary bits of kitchenware.

The "sofa" in the kitchen is really a second bed for a third person but it was perfectly fine with us. The bedroom was lovely and felt quite homely as it had plenty of warm sheets on the bed, thick pillows, artwork on the walls and a decorative curtain over the bed.

We had a balcony overlooking the pools which was super as it caught the sun most of the day.

The cleanliness was remarkable! Add to that the fact that they change your towels every other day and clean each day, including making the bed! Whenever I've stayed in self-catering accommodation before you've been responsible for your own cleaning so this was a treat.

The restaurant wasn't open what with it being early March so I can't comment on that.

The grounds were beautifully maintained and the pools looked lovely. Can't say I dare to venture in though! Little too chilly still.

We really enjoyed our stay at Villa Dinis. I doubt we'll return any time soon to Portugal as there are so many more exotic places to see but if we did I'd have no problem staying here again. :)

Room Tip: We had room 11 which had a balcony with the sun most of the day.
1 Thank Flicka1985
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel/ guesthouse is really worth a stay. The rooms are surprinsingly big, including a balcony. The interior design is very nice with a lot of attention to details. Our room was in a building that was just built 1 year ago and therefore in a great condition.
There are three swimming pools in the hotel area, which we could unfortunately not try out as we were there in March. But they look very pleasant, including terraces nearby.
In total we can really recommend this stay, especially for those room rates.

1 Thank Dorian E
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Villas D. Dinis while on vacation to see the Algarve region and the beautiful rock formations. We booked here after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. The location and property is very pretty (though I'm sure, better in the spring when the plants and flowers are more vibrant and blooming). Our room was a good size and very comfortable.

Unfortunately, we did not have the best overall experience with this hotel. We booked online, and were pleasantly surprised with the reasonable price. When we arrived and were checking in, we inquired about the time for breakfast as we were planning our excursions the next day. The receptionist laughed, and told us there was no breakfast. We actually thought she was kidding, as it is a bed and breakfast, but she went on to explain (after seeing our confusion) that because it was not the "high" season, breakfast was not included. This was extremely disappointing and had we known this in advance, we would have made alternate arrangements (either bringing food from a local grocery or booking at a different location), as we wanted to get going early the following morning. She also recommended a nearby bar for us to have dinner at, however, when we walked there, we were informed they were not serving dinner at that time. We really felt like details such as these were things that should have been known by the staff so that we were not given incorrect information.

Again, the property is nice and the rooms comfortable, but the experience was lacking due to a few inconveniences that could have easily been avoided.

2 Thank ChristaKC