“Loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monte Da Ribeira

Monte Da Ribeira
More attraction details
Owner description: Monte Da Ribeira offers riding lessons, hacks, all-inclusive riding holidays, livery and pony club throughout the year. Fantastic hacking in the beautiful countryside near Loulé. Lessons catering from complete beginners to training in jumping and dressage. Happy and healthy horses and ponies in a friendly and confidence inspiring setting. Very reasonable rates and experienced, qualified staff. Great facilities and top quality livery.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Agree with all the positive comments about time spent with Katharine. She looked after me and my adult daughter very well and we had a lovely visit. She spotted our differing abilities and pinpointed how to help us in separate lessons. The hacks were great, varied terrain so different to home, and Katharine regularly checked we were happy with the horses and speed. Not known for my bravery, I had complete confidence in my horse, the saddle was comfy, and we had saddle bags with refreshments on the longest route with lunch in the middle. On a free afternoon Katharine drove us to the beach. We went in September: it was hot (80s), the local river had recently dried up, and the sea was warm.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jane P

Limerick, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horseriding at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

It was a dream come through spending 3 days with Katharine horseriding at Monte da Ribeira near Loule this August. The trails are absolutely beautiful and Katharine takes great care to match her horses with the riders experience. We went on trails through very quiet off road terrain where there was plenty of opportunity to walk, trot, canter and gallop through the hills. Katharine knows the area well and pointed out the carob trees, lemon & lime trees and fig trees on route. On the last evening we took the horses to a local village and stopped for refreshments on the way home! Katharine is a lovely host, very welcoming easy going but every effort is made to make you feel comfortable. This is true of Claire and the staff at the stables also. Excellent care is taken of the horses also. Katharine arranged that we visit a local horse fair and the "white night" festival in nearby Loule. The big question is would I return.... and the answer is most definately yes I would like to return in spring/early summer when the valley is in full bloom.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lily-Anne-E
Knokke-Heist, Belgium
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Fantastic Horses, Even Better People!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Monte da Ribeira offers visitors, of all levels of skill, a very personal and well catered to horse riding experience. I went as part of a group of five young adults and children (aged 21, 20, 19, 13, 9) for a one hour hack through the countryside. Katharine and her team are extremely friendly, professional and will go out of their way to insure everyone is enjoying themselves. Our stay there lasted just under two hours, we first had to get outfitted and met the horses that we would each ride and after a brief introduction in the arena, we were off. We had booked our hack over the phone and were given very succinct and helpful directions to reach Monte da Ribeira. I would personally recommend having a smartphone, or GPS and using the GPS coordinates given on their website for back up: makes the car ride painless and finding it extremely easy. In addition to the directions Katharine told us to wear long pants and bring socks. We were provided with boots and helmets and even sun block, I would definitely suggest bringing your own closed-toe shoes in case the boots don't fit and of course a camera if you want to take pictures. We were given the option of a 8 am, 9 am or 6 pm ride, we decided on the 9 am. Those times are offered specifically so the horses don't struggle and suffer too much in the midday heat, and it offers a more comfortable horse ride for the rider as well. The actual horse riding was truly fantastic, we trekked through the countryside by a creek bed (which had dried up the week before) and saw some gorgeous wildlife and rode past some local farmers. The horses we had were really well behaved and a lot of fun to ride, everyone in our group enjoyed it. All in all, from start to finish the horse riding experience at Monte da Ribeira was nothing short of perfect, and if one thing stood out from all the rest, it was how friendly and welcoming Katharine and her team were. And of course, the horses too!

Highlights
- caters to riders of all experience, or lack thereof
- friendly and well looked after horses
- beautiful countryside location

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Joachim M
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“to repeat - Excellent everything!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Had an amazing holiday with Katharine, her family and Claire. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the sad second we boarded for home we were completely taken care of. All the things you look for in a riding holiday are there. Katharine and her team are very experienced, and put us at ease straight away. The stables are really well run and the welfare of the horses are the no1 priority in the yard. Which brings me to the horses - just a delight to ride, calm and fun with lots of life - suited to a slightly more nervous rider like me and the more adventurous like my Dad. The location amazing - morning and evening rides through the countryside and rivers of the national park which the borders the stables. I can (and have) unreservedly recommend Katharine and her stables for a hack out, lessons or a longer stay

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Marcia D
York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning Scenery, lovely horses and owner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

My Sister and I were staying in Faro and contacted Katherine to arrange a lesson and hack. We ended up spending the day with Katherine as she was so friendly and helpful! She collected us from the local train, I had a lesson on a fantastic dressage schoolmaster and we both had a hack in the beautiful countryside. She then very kindly took us and a picnic to an International show jumping competition for the afternoon. We had a fantastic day and I would recommend Katherine and her lovely horses to anyone!!

Visited April 2013