Me and my boyfriend spent a week in Villa Termal this September. Good points about the hotel...firstly the scenery is quite beautiful, the whole area has a lovely traditional untouched feel to it, and its very quiet and relaxing. Our room was really lovely, high ceilings with antique furniture, it was spotlessly cleaned each day. The pool area was also great, lots of sunbeds and cushions to laze around on, and this was also kept spotless and not too busy. You could have your breakfast in the central courtyard which was a really nice area to eat in. Breakfast itself was nice, fresh fruit and juices, jams, cheeses, meat and toast were there everyday, but did start to get a bit samey by the end of the week. There are also two mountain bikes on reception which you can use free of charge, I'd highly recommend trying a trip up the mountain, the views are breathtaking, but it's very steep, and watch out for the guard dogs!
Now bad points, maybe because we were there in September but there was VERY little to do. Transport links are very poor. You can get a bus to the neighboring town of Monchique, or to the larger town of Portimoa, but they are irregular and quite expensive at 4.25 Euro single. In the end we had to get a car otherwise we would have gone stir crazy with boredom. We had dinner at the restaurant one night, which was nice but nothing special and quite expensive, we found a much nicer place on the main road, about 300m left from the main entrance. We also went to the spa, which was pleasant, but needs a bit of a refurb. The main problems we had were the staff. They were very reluctant to give information, and some were just plain rude and dismissive, apart from the housekeeping staff, and one nice girl at the pool bar, staff really didn't seem to want to interact or speak to guests at all, and when we asked one girl on reception what to do, and where we could visit she told us we should just stay on complex. There were a few event going on, like an outdoor cinema, and walk of the local area, but these were hardly advertised, and we only found out about them after they had happened. Even finding out about being able to take the bikes out only happened because I remembered someone mentioning it in their review. This seemed to be more of a place were Portuguese people would go for a day or two for the spa treatments, or where daytrippers would come for a visit. At night it was deadly quite, they had one nice bar there called O Tasco, with a lovely outside seating area, but on more than one night we were the only people there.
In summary I think this place could be something quite special with a few improvements, and on the whole I'd rather go somewhere unique like this then your average cheap touristy resort. Both me and my boyfriend agreed we would go back, but that 3-4 days was all you really need see the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the top of Algarve!Resembling a white village perfectly nestled among the Monchique Hills, Villa Termal features an outstanding Thermal spa using the only thermal waters in the south of Portugal . An indoor warm rich mineral water pool and exquisit facial and body treatments and massages by La Phyto are a welcoming card.The elegant and charming rooms distributed through 5 unique lodging complexes, are furnished with 18th- and 19th-century pieces.Guests of Villa Termal Das Caldas De Monchique Spa Resort can enjoy some great tapas and a glass of local wine at the stone-walled bar " O Tasco". The 1692 Restaurant offers a grill menu and Portuguese cuisine with traditional delicacies from the Monchique region, including special meat dishes.The outdoor swimming pool is surrounded by green garden and padded loungers. Besides relaxing in the sauna or steam bath, guests can enjoy walking and mountain biking tours in Serra de Monchique National Park. Other Nature related activities are available including canoeing, Climbing, Paintball, mountain bike downhill just 10 min away.Perfect for a relaxing getaway or an alternative holidays, the Villa termal das caldas de Monchique is 20 min away from the main stream locations, 25 min from the The best Algarvian beaches on the Atlantic, 40 min from the best wild Alentejo coast and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa Termal das Caldas de Monchique Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Termal Das Caldas De Monchique Spa And Resort
- Villa Termal Das Caldas De Monchique Hotel Monchique
- Villa Termal Das Caldas De Monchique Spa & Resort Portugal - Algarve