This year we returned for our second stay at this resort and again we enjoyed every minute of it from the moment we arrived.
After our drive down from Lisbon to the Hotel were we would stay for nine nights, we were greeted by very friendly and helpfull frontdesk staff. I had three different reservations due to the fact that I used some of my SPG points and this was not available on all days. The staff had already upgraded us to a suite so that we didn't have to change rooms during our stay. We were offered a welcome drink while they finalised the check-in.
The room was amazing, very comfortable bed, clean bathroom, all the aminities you need, free bottles of water (daily refilled) and two Pastelles de nata were waiting for us. The room had a balcony overlooking the pool. There is free WiFi available in the hotel public areas. If I had to point out something negative about the room, then it would have to be the rug on which the bed is standing. This should have been replaced a while ago, it looked dirty. I guess even one of the cleaning staff was ashamed of this and put floor towels next to the bed so that we didn't have to stand on the rug with our bare feet. Very thoughtfull!
Most rates at this hotel have breakfast buffet included. The buffet has a good selection on offer, maybe not completly authentic Portuguese but nevermind. We were offered complimentary breakfast due to my platinum SPG status. The staff in the breakfast room are very helpfull, if something you want is not there, they will do their best with your request. And if you don't like the weak coffee they offer, ask your waiter for an espresso. They are more then happy to help.
The frontdesk staff had noticed that my partner had her birthday during our stay at the hotel. So on her birthday they had a suprice waiting for her in the room. A chocolate cake with a bottle of Portuguese bubbles with a friendly note wishing her a happy birthday. A very nice guesture from the staff.
The hotel has a private part on the beach of Alvor. You can get there by complimentary shuttle bus offered by the hotel. At the beach they offer towels, beach chairs and an embrella for free to guests. There is also a restraurant available. It's actually a short work to the centre of Alvor from the beach.
On to the dinners. We are in Portugal, so we did not have dinner at all at the hotel. The hotel has to cater for guests from all over the world, so I understand that the food is not authentic Portuguese. Go to Alvor, a village next to the hotel. Loads of restuarants there for everyones taste and budget. Or go to Portimao and eat grilled sardines in one of the restaurants next to the Rio Arcada.
Back to the hotel. The pool is amazing, especially after a hot day at the beach. My partner also used some of the Spa services, which were actually cheaper then offered locally where we live. She was really pleased with the service provided and again superb staff. There are many more facilities at the hotel which we didn't use, such as the 3 golf courses, a childerens club, tennis, etc.
We love this resort and the staff, they really make you feel at home. Our stay was just wonderfull, the perfect relaxing break we needed. We will be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within a magnificent 360 acre estate of never ending gardens, unforgettable sounds and aromas of nature, the resort features 188 rooms and suites. Discover the renowned local beaches, enjoy complimentary transportation to the hotels beach concessionary with beach bar and a selection of water sports or simply relax by the Olympic size swimming pool. Other leisure options include 6 tennis courts, a football pitch, fitness room, running trail, sauna and beauty treatments, children’s club, 18-hole Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course, 9-hole Academy course and 9-hole Resort course. A selection of 5 restaurants caters for all tastes and occasions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Penina Hotel & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Penina Golf Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Golf And Resort
- Le Meridien Penina Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Resort
- Le Meridien Portimao
- Portimão Le Meridien
- Penina Hotel & Golf Resort Algarve/Portimao, Portugal