Check in is a little long although you are offered a welcoming glass of port or orange juice.
We had a distant mountain view room which was north facing, so we did not get any sun, I would advise paying extra for a golf view room. Rooms are clean and you get a choice as to whether you wish for linen and towels to be changed daily. All staff seem attentive but not too friendly.
We booked a golf package which included breakfast and four dinners in a choice of two restaurants however, on certain days only one of these was open and fully booked leaving only the Clubhouse as a dining option. The clubhouse is ok for lunch but it is bar and not really suitable for evening dining unless you want to watch football. The food in the Grill and the Italian is good. Breakfast offers the largest display I have ever seen. The lady chef who cooks the eggs etc. looks very unhappy in her job!
Had lunch on the club patio a few times. Our friends ordered a portion of chips each. They came up................ two small dishes came up, about the same size a a McDonalds kids meal, 5e's EACH
Drinks are quite expensive here a 40cc lager costing 4.70e gin and tonic 7.90e but happy hour most evenings has a two for one option in the Monchique bar. Lager in Alvor can be had for 0.90e
The golf arrangements are very good, free bag and shoe storage.They also load up your trolley or buggy prior to your game.
Recommend the Cotton course, it's more difficult than it looks but the resort course is not very well maintained.
All in all would recommend this hotel for a golfing break.
Check my reviews of restaurants in Alvor which is approx a 10e taxi away.
Overall we would recommend and will almost certainly be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within a magnificent 360 acre estate of never ending gardens, unforgettable sounds and aromas of nature, the resort features 188 rooms and suites. Discover the renowned local beaches, enjoy complimentary transportation to the hotels beach concessionary with beach bar and a selection of water sports or simply relax by the Olympic size swimming pool. Other leisure options include 6 tennis courts, a football pitch, fitness room, running trail, sauna and beauty treatments, children’s club, 18-hole Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course, 9-hole Academy course and 9-hole Resort course. A selection of 5 restaurants caters for all tastes and occasions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Penina Hotel & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Penina Golf Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Golf And Resort
- Le Meridien Penina Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Resort
- Le Meridien Portimao
- Portimão Le Meridien
- Penina Hotel & Golf Resort Algarve/Portimao, Portugal