Great location for a golfing trip. The main course is challenging and well-maintained. The greens are good and the rest of the course in good condition. Plenty of water and ditches to catch the errant shots. However, it cannot be described as a memorable course - there are no signature holes. The 9 hole resort course is also challenging but suffers from clearly being second in line for investment of maintenance time and money. Although the greens are just as good as the main course the rest of it is scruffy and under-maintained with clover flourishing in the rough and a generally unkempt feel about it. I would recommend you only play it once.
The hotel is good with reasonably sized rooms and adequate bathroom facilities. There is a choice of restaurants. We, a group of golfers, ate in the buffet restaurant twice. The hotel is keen to keep such groups in the hotel for dinner and we had been offered a complimentary half bottle of wine each. There was an excellent amount of choice and the food was good. Breakfasts were in the same restaurant and offered an extensive choice that would satisfy the most picky of people. My one complaint would be that although the omelettes are cooked in front of you, the fried eggs are not - just left out on a plate. Each of the three days the eggs were at best lukewarm.
For a change from the hotel a visit to Alvor (12 euro trip by taxi) is worth it with an array of restaurants and bars to choose from.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within a magnificent 360 acre estate of never ending gardens, unforgettable sounds and aromas of nature, the resort features 188 rooms and suites. Discover the renowned local beaches, enjoy complimentary transportation to the hotels beach concessionary with beach bar and a selection of water sports or simply relax by the Olympic size swimming pool. Other leisure options include 6 tennis courts, a football pitch, fitness room, running trail, sauna and beauty treatments, children’s club, 18-hole Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course, 9-hole Academy course and 9-hole Resort course. A selection of 5 restaurants caters for all tastes and occasions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Penina Hotel & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Penina Golf Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Golf And Resort
- Le Meridien Penina Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Resort
- Le Meridien Portimao
- Portimão Le Meridien
- Penina Hotel & Golf Resort Algarve/Portimao, Portugal