We chose Penina because of the golf course. Played 4 rounds and although Henry Cotton designed it about 50 years ago it is still an excellent test even with modern equipment. The water hazards and bunkers are just in the right places to catch the slightly wayward shot. Would definitely go back to play the course again. Your golf bags are stored in the bag room at the pros shop and brought out to you when you check in for your round and placed on your trolley. On completion they take the bags from you and store them for your next round.
Hotel food. Buffet breakfasts were very good indeed. The room is also used for evening buffet. However this is only open on a Monday which we found surprising. We arrived Tuesday - departed Saturday so did not sample this. The Italian restaurant by the pool was excellent. Could not fault the choices, quality of food and the service. The grill restaurant in the hotel was the opposite - very sad. Very slow service, very little choice and we feel the chef needs to go down and have some lessons from the Italian chef. The hotel also has a restaurant overlooking the beach in Alvor (about 10 minutes away by taxi). We sampled this one evening and both food and service were very good. A pity that the hotel does not run a courtesy minibus to and from Alvor.
The hotel is about 45 minutes from faro airport. We did not require a car and had transfers arranged both to and from the hotel. You would need a car if you wished to explore the surrounding area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within a magnificent 360 acre estate of never ending gardens, unforgettable sounds and aromas of nature, the resort features 188 rooms and suites. Discover the renowned local beaches, enjoy complimentary transportation to the hotels beach concessionary with beach bar and a selection of water sports or simply relax by the Olympic size swimming pool. Other leisure options include 6 tennis courts, a football pitch, fitness room, running trail, sauna and beauty treatments, children’s club, 18-hole Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course, 9-hole Academy course and 9-hole Resort course. A selection of 5 restaurants caters for all tastes and occasions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Penina Hotel & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Penina Golf And Resort
- Le Meridien Penina Golf Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Resort
- Le Meridien Portimao
- Portimão Le Meridien
- Penina Hotel & Golf Resort Algarve/Portimao, Portugal