I stayed at the hotel with my father and brother on a four night golf trip in June. We were greeted wih a glass of port upon entering the hotel, all very civilised. The hotel certainly has the feel of quality. The rooms were good, obviously pool view would be better than mountain view, but it costs a fair bit extra.
The pool area and grounds are wonderful. No problem getting sun loungers and umbrellas, great service with towels and cushions brought out to you.
The golf course is fantastic. I've played Vale de Lobo, Old Course, Laguna, Vila Sol, Pinhal, and Millennium, and this course is at least equal to all of those, even the Old Course. If I was being picky, a few of the tees aren't level enough and the bunkers aren't raked every morning meaning that the sand can be hard after watering and difficult to play out of, but it's a great course, particularly holes 9 and 18.
You should take golf clubs as hiring costs around £35 a day.
Obviously the food and drinks in the hotel are pricey. Didn't eat evening meals there so can't comment. Had lunch in the Spikes bar after each round which was really nice. Tip: ask for the golfers food vouchers at the Pro Shop after your round and you get a good deal on your lunch there.
Ate in Alvor each evening. Only 8 Euros in a taxi. Lovely harbour with wonderful restaurants. The grilled fish was spectacular in most of them. Not rowdy at all, very pleasant indeed.
The private beach is lovely too.
All in all a great golf trip. Booked with Golfbreaks and got a pretty good deal.
Maybe not quite 5 stars, but not far off.
Well worth a visit, we'll definitely be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within a magnificent 360 acre estate of never ending gardens, unforgettable sounds and aromas of nature, the resort features 188 rooms and suites. Discover the renowned local beaches, enjoy complimentary transportation to the hotels beach concessionary with beach bar and a selection of water sports or simply relax by the Olympic size swimming pool. Other leisure options include 6 tennis courts, a football pitch, fitness room, running trail, sauna and beauty treatments, children’s club, 18-hole Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course, 9-hole Academy course and 9-hole Resort course. A selection of 5 restaurants caters for all tastes and occasions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Penina Hotel & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Penina Golf And Resort
- Le Meridien Penina Golf Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Resort
- Le Meridien Portimao
- Portimão Le Meridien
- Penina Hotel & Golf Resort Algarve/Portimao, Portugal