We have stayed at many golfing hotels, but Penina is still our favourite. The hotel is situated right on the course which as normal was in excellent condition.
In recent years the bedrooms have been modernised which was badly needed. As it is an older hotel the rooms are not overly large, but then we spend little time in them as we are out playing golf.
The hotel seem to have realised that the portion for the lunches were too large as many people shared. They have now brought in smaller portions, but these are more than half the cost of a full portion.
We were more impressed by the Italian restaurant which only opens during the summer than the offerings at the Grill. Avoid the Sagres restaurant and the buffets as these are nothing special. Breakfast is good with a wide selection.
We normally eat in Alvor which is about 8 euros in a taxi and has a wide selection of good value restuarants. Try to be in the bar on a Sunday when Elvis performs and Penina rocks and rolls.
The best thing about Penina is the golf. What would improve it further would be the addition of an indoor swimming pool for use in the winter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within a magnificent 360 acre estate of never ending gardens, unforgettable sounds and aromas of nature, the resort features 188 rooms and suites. Discover the renowned local beaches, enjoy complimentary transportation to the hotels beach concessionary with beach bar and a selection of water sports or simply relax by the Olympic size swimming pool. Other leisure options include 6 tennis courts, a football pitch, fitness room, running trail, sauna and beauty treatments, children’s club, 18-hole Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course, 9-hole Academy course and 9-hole Resort course. A selection of 5 restaurants caters for all tastes and occasions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Penina Hotel & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Penina Golf Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Golf And Resort
- Le Meridien Penina Hotel
- Le Meridien Penina Resort
- Le Meridien Portimao
- Portimão Le Meridien
- Penina Hotel & Golf Resort Algarve/Portimao, Portugal