“No hot tea or coffee”

Hotel Algarve Casino
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Portimao
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have been visiting this hotel for many years with my family and I feel in recent years standards have fallen.
One of my main concerns was the tea and coffee served at breakfast was luke warm. This was every morning. The food was also luke warm. Very disappointing. Also the airconditioning is not very effective. For a 5 star hotel it would be an idea to up grade the air con. When I asked for the air con to turned up I was informed it was on full.

Over the years service around the pool has become almost non-existant and when I did place an order on more than one occasion it never appeared. I spoke to the pool restuarnt about this but they weren't interested. Very poor.

As I said earlier I have been coming to this hotel for many years and I do feel it is time for new sunbeds and umbrella's. They have the same umbrellas for years. You can even see where someone sews the fabric to repair it. I am all for make do and mend but not for 20 years. It would be nice if you could have a table between the sunbeds and to have umbrellas that did now keep blowing over in the wind the picks up every afternoon. A good decent base not a man made concrete base without a flat bottom.

I feel having to pay for sunbeds on the beach is a bit naughty too. Unexpected for a 5 star hotel.

Bar staff were very nice but It did depend on who made your drink what the mix would be like. There should be more continuity in cocktails. I did have to send my drinks back quiet often.

I am sorry to sound so negative but I really do feel that standards have fallen and the hotels attention should be drawn to this.

6  Thank Helen B

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This is the second visit to algarve casino and whilst we had a fab experience last year this stay was even better. We had a family room on the terrace with a sea view which was lovely. The location is excellent and very well suited to meet the needs of our 5 year old son and our 14 year old son. Plenty for both of them to do without the feeling of the pool area being busy. Location on the beach great for all the water sports and activities. Staff very polite and helpful. Breakfast great and the sunset bar with a prosecco just fab with stunning views.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The hotel was very nice, but we did not get the five star feeling though.
The view from the room was fantastic, and room with seaview are highly recommended, and the beds was actually very good.
It was free beach towels and during the time we were there it was no stress to get sunbeds. Great pool and area.
It is stairs down to the beach and the passage closes on the evening.
The breakfast was nice with the ordinary ham and cheese, eggs and bacon and they even had salmon. Some people got extra service in the breakfast-room. They were either rich or from Portugal, or both.
The wifi was really bad on the room. Actually it did not work at all some times.
It was expencive at the hotel, when comparing with other restaurants.
The hotel is placed at the end of the pedestrian. Great location, but not very much to look at nearby. A lot of restaurants and turist-shops.

We highly recommend a trip to Lagos. A fantastic place. We took a cab to the trainstation (three people) about 7 Euro. The train cost 2 Euro per person and takes about 20 minutes.

We expected from a five star hotel that they said thanks for staying at their hotel, wish us back another time, and wish us a safe journey home. But they just took the room keys and said "ok".

Room Tip: We really recommend a room with seaview.
1  Thank Tonekr
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Staying at this hotel at the moment. Hotel lived up to my high expectations. Not a five star hotel standard as we would expect at home but certainly a very high standard. Staff friendly and efficient. Free WiFi and pool towels provided is excellent. Rooms do need to be updated a little but have charm and character. Beds are huge and very comfortable!! A kettle in the room is the only thing missing. I suggest it could be worthwhile to pay a bit extra for a sea view. Rooms quieter. Hotel central to everything. Hotel not too busy, plenty of sunless.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen K
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I agree with the positive reviews posted here. Great location, amenities and staff. Grounds were very clean and well kept. Everything is within walking distance and the hotel can be accessed from town or the beach which was very nice.

Although it is a bit of an older hotel, it is in great shape and the people make the difference. I sent this personal note to the hotel general manager due to an exceptional experience we had:

==================

Sr. Rosa,

I wanted to write a note sharing a great experience my family and I had at your hotel.

We have just arrived home from a one week stay at your hotel and we really had a wonderful time. The hotel was very clean, well maintained and your staff was very pleasant and attentive to our needs during our stay.

We really enjoyed the amenities, Laura the parrot, and the overall great experience during our stay. My wife and I stayed with you about 12 years ago and had a similar experience back then. Thank you very much for all the hard work and effort that goes in to making your hotel such a great place.

I would also like to call out a very special person at your facility Elena Garreiro. Last Friday 11.7.2014, we ran into a problem with our rental car. It appears the battery had died and would not start. Fortunately we were not in a big hurry to leave and I asked Elena Garreiro for some assistance in contacting the rental car agency as my Portuguese is not as good as it used to be. She happily assisted me and kept me informed of progress being made. When the rescue car arrived, she walked down to the parking garage with me and ensured the car was operational so that we could drive back to Lisbon.

This was particularly special as the issue was with with the rental car and had nothing to do with your hotel services, but she assisted me anyway and for this I am very grateful. Her attitude, pleasant demeanor and efforts made me and and family feel very special.

I travel pretty extensively for my work and rarely do I see this level of customer service. Elena should be praised and given a raise in my opinion for her hard work. She even went as far as to give me her mobile phone number in the event the rescue vehicle did not appear, or if I needed additional assistance.

This is first class service in my opinion and for this reason alone, I would return to your facility in hopes of being treated the same way.

Please tell her thank you once again from me and my family.

Room Tip: We stayed in the city view adjoining room with our kids. Very quiet and comfortable. Lots of room wh...
2  Thank Cesar d
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from two week holiday. Having stayed a many large hotel in various places, have to say this one is right up there at the top of the list. Everyone of the staff from the bar, maids, restaurant to pool staff were friendly and helpful and always had a word when they saw you.
The rooms (we had sea view) were large, lovely balcony to sit out on, clean and plenty of storage space.
The breakfast was great, could not fault it. The evening meal is not your usual buffet meal, but a waiter service with a large choice of menu each night plus the specials of the day, it was like eating out in a post 5 star restaurant every night of the holiday. If you were thinking of booking half board it is well worth doing, cannot express my delight with the evening meals. Entertainment show was great too, and some evening there was additional entertainment too.

The pool area and sunbeds is a lovely area, no problem with getting sunbeds early, plenty of space.

The gym was the only disappointment, it was small in the basement, old equipment and the one of the two air conditioning units did not work nor was it repaired despite our reporting it several times. This did not fit in with the rest of the hotel. However, if you are not wanting to use the gym everything else about this hotel is splendid.

Room Tip: work having a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allison I
GrupoSolverde, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Algarve Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hello Allison I,

Thank you for your comments about our Hotel.
We were very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at Solverde Hotel Algarve Casino and especially the service. We will pass your compliments to the staff of the bar, cleaning, restaurant, pool, etc. :)
Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Manager
Hotel Algarve Casino

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel in excellent location - walk down stairs onto beach or 5 mins along street to main bar / restaurant area. The rooms overlooking the sea are a good size but are a bit dated & definitely not 5* standard & could do with updating but as you won't spend much time in your room don't let that put you off. Also be aware that the pool is deep from the moment you step of the steps - not good for non swimmers like myself!

Room Tip: Overlooking the sea but ask for higher floor to try and get some sunshine on verandha.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple