“Amasing Spring break”

Tivoli Marina Portimao
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Portimao
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Me and my husband have been in this lovely resort twice during April.
Both were an excellent time to relax and sunbathe by the pool, take long walks in the amasing beach and have bath in the clean seawater (you must be a little brave, as it is not warm at this time of year).
But what we really enjoyed most was breakfast. What a breathtaking setting! Besides river Arade, overlooking Ferragudo fortess and the lovely marina, it is one of the mos idylic places to have the morning meal I have ever been to...
Be sure to avoid school breaks (Easter and end of July/August), as it tends to loose its calmness and gets overcrowded.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PortoRose
Write a ReviewReviews (2,321)

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Fantastic hotel all moorish in design right on the marina portimao away from the main resort with the marina facilities as your main accomodating area, but just a walk from the main strip and all its bars and restaurants,
The marina itself has its own carribean style beach.
Very professionally run and although this was a holiday I also believe it is a good choice for a conference .
We travelled with our local Airline jet2.com from Leeds which is perfect and then booked a local taxi transfer to the hotel yellowfishtransfers com both very professional and on time made our travelling very easy. With the transfer we got a free gift of a bottle of wine this was a nice gesture.
Portimao is next to Praia da rocha and a great location if you particularly like seafood , sardines are inabundance.
A new shopping centre had just opened up in Portimao and so it was inevitable we take a trip, it was worth a visit!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are good!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wendy8966
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We have just returned after a 7-day break at this hotel. The price for the hotel was excellent at under 50 euros per night for bed and breakfast. Breakfast was a pretty decent buffet. The staff were, without exception, extremely friendly, helpful and were very knowledgeable about the surrounding area, public transport etc. The room was very clean. We had a marina view room and as we were just off the reception block it would probably have been better if we had had a pool view as we never had the sun on our terrace. Would certainly return in the future.

Room Tip: At this time of year a top floor would be the best choice as you are then guaranteed the sun.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NeilstonTravellers32
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Staff were at all times excellent, room/suite was nice however, meals !
B/fast was a decent buffet each morning but, evening meal changed from buffet to table service after a few days and although high on presentation was decidedly lacking in quantity.
Main course came on a large dinner plate and could have just as easily went on a side plate,
we had booked believing it would be buffet meals throughout our 3 weeks but...
I have to say evening meals were a big disappointment.

Due to the hotel layout I would not recommend it for older people.

Room Tip: ask for an upstairs room/suite
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank traveller1746845
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We were put in the part of the hotel furthest from the reception, but it didn't matter as we could order a buggy to transport us around the complex if we didn't feel like walking. The first room we were shown to was unfortunately suffering from a bad case of damp (as hotel is literally built on the river). But we were soon moved to an upstairs room which was lovely. The view over the marina was really nice and we could sit on the balcony and watch the boats come in and out. The room wag really big for just two people with a table/chairs to sit on to eat. The little kitchenette was ample - good to have a kettle and tea/coffee for when we arrived. There was a full size fridge which was also stocked with some (chargeable) essentials like booze and chocolate! The breakfast was included in the stay - it was lovely considering the cost and on till 11.00am too (so no really early mornings). We only ate in the hotel once for dinner on our last night as we had an early start the next day - we had the dining area to ourselves and a waiter to ourselves too. No atmosphere though as it was really quiet and expensive for what it was. There are plenty of other good priced eateries around the area though - so we were never without a dilema of where to eat next. The part of the complex we were in had its own pool and lounging area which was never too busy and kept clean and tidy. The receptionists at the hotel were very helpful and accomodating. We joined the hotel advantage club (can't remember what it was called) but it gave you free wifi throughout the hotel - for free! The beaches were clean and the sea was good for both swimming and paddling. All in all an excellent place to stay and a good base for exploring the area as near to the local buses too.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms may not be as damp - but have smaller balconies
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo-Jums
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed here on a late booking from 15/10 to 22/1 and booked through med hotels and flights with ryan air. We paid around £55 per night per room bed and breakfast.

I had looked into the hotel prior to booking and appreciated we may not have an apartment in the main hotel area as per the layout on their website.

The hotel is around 1 hour 20 mins tranfer from the airport and we used resort hoppa for our tranfers. 2nd time using them and no problems providing you call the day before per their instructions to confirm your pick up.

On arrival which was around 11pm the hotel was very quiet. Check in was therefore very speedy. As expected we had a room away from the main pool and this was furthest away from Praia da Rocha with the smaller pool closest. We had a golf buggy ride to the room which didnt actually seem that far away - and afterall I requested a Marina View and we got what we asked for!

The room which was a junior suite (kitchen/bedroom in one) and was very spacious, clean and modern. On arrival we were shown around the room but to find a lizard on the wall! When I pointed it out I was asked to call reception in the morning!... I think not! Although I wouldnt have liked to have got it out myself I dont think the staff member was very keen either however after making it clear I was not prepared to wait until the morning (as I wanted to sleep!) he managed to get it out the room! The room had 2 hobs and a fridge, no microwave and had adequate pots/pans/cutlery etc.

One thing I know others mentioned - the beds are very hard. Normally we can get used to this when we go away but it did get to a point that by half way through the week we were not really sleeping and woke up every few hours in pain. This did let the hotel down quite a lot.

When we woke up the view was so nice and just what we wanted. We had the small pool down below our room (we had 1st floor room) and a beautiful view of the marina with views across the river to a beach. Cruise ships and ferries came on a regular basis which was good to watch as they were so close and you realised how big they were. The small pool was very quiet and we had it to the 2 of us on the occasions we went down. Although very cold!.

Breakfast was ok nothing amazing but it filled us up. Usual breads, cake, hot buffet - sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, beans etc but the quality of the produce was poor ie the beans were hard and had more sauce than beans, sausages were not real sausages they were tinned etc. There was also cereal and a good selection fresh fruit and some dried fruit. Like I said it did the job!.

It was very very quite out and about and I gathered this was due to the time of year. It did however feel resturants were only staying open for the sake of it and we didnt really have a great meal out anywhere and each menu looked the same as the last. Beef in BBQ sauce didnt float my boat!! One night we got a pizza from Pizza Hut as we didnt fancy going out (about 10 min walk by the Marina) and I was shocked that a medium pizza which was the size of a deep pan from tesco was 15 Euros!

The beach was great and the sea was very nice. Due to the wind there were plently of waves which were great fun!!!

LOCATION: Although at first I didnt mind walking, the position of our room meant it was a 5 min walk to breakfast then a further 10 minute walk to the beach/some resturants. It was a good 20 min walk from our room to the start of the main strip with the main resturants. I am not lazy but I work hard and when I go on holiday I go for a rest, I walk if I want to walk but if I dont fancy it I like to have things closer. Having our room slightly away made that walk just that longer than I ideally would like but this may not bother some people. NOTE: The walk would be fine for people with pushchairs but you would have to go the road way otherwise you have lots of steps.

We didnt eat at the hotel due to the menu on display had a very limited choice and nothing took our fancy.

The walk to Portimao was around 30 mins (general walking pace not rushing)

I was here for my birthday and they left me a bottle of bubbly on ice and some fruit. It was very nice to return from a morning out to this.

All in all I recommend this hotel if you are happy with the price you pay! I wouldnt pay over the odds as I think as a whole package some things let it down ie quality of breakfast, beds and the location of some of the rooms.

Based on their website I think I may have expected too much but one thing that didnt let it down was the location being in the Marina.

I have rated this 3/5 on the basis that it is a 4* and I do not feel everything ticks the box for this.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmyandChris
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We have just returned from a lovely stay at this hotel but ..... our first night having arrived late due to a mix up of hotels and we were taken to the Tivoli Vilamaura instead of Portomao. We were offered the Buffett meal which was way past its peak it was late 10.00 but we were charged full price so a little disappointed but to tierd to complain. A very quite area due to time of year, weather very hot.
The Hotel was lovely and clean swimmimg pools very very salty! as filled with sea water, not a big problem.But oh the beds.... were like rock as were the pillows, my bed on the beach was far more comfortable. We had lovely views beach was amazing.
On the whole a lovely break. Please invest in some softer (double) beds two singles pused together!!!!!

Room Tip: A big hotel requires a fair bit of walking although do have cars to pick up and drop off. Request...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portimao
Hotel da Rocha
PortoBay Falesia
#6 of 154 in Albufeira
2 mi away
Vale d'Oliveiras Quinta Resort & Spa

Been to Tivoli Marina Portimao? Share your experiences!