“Great get away”

Hotel Apartamentos Mirachoro II
Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Portimao
“Great get away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely time, the staff where friendly and helpful, the food was basic but not too bad, the pool was very cold but that didn't stop the other half having a dip, a taxi to either the beach or the centre of town was cheap although there was a free bus but only at certain times of the day, all in all a great break for us as the weather was hot and because of it being the end of the season, there weren't the crowds so the beaches etc where nice and peaceful, will definitely go back

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank patsywhoo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Arboleas, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We booked here through Onthebeach.com who said if I could not have a ground floor roomthey would phone me back they didn't so off I went. Wrong we get there and my carer/husband has to try and haul me all 16st without wheelchair ( he is only 11st dripping wet!) up a steep gradient of small crazy paving tiles which have gaps in between them and also cope with the 2 steps. Even worse when wet which it was as the is no grip at all. Then I couldn't get in the lift unless I took bits off the chair like leg rests and I use special one so I can elivate my legs. They are extra heavy and as I have M.S. and feel like all my nerve endings are screamming and I get like electric shocks all over when touched. These had to be piled on top of me then the chair had to be lifted and manhandled into the lift then my carer try and squeeze in beside me.
there were 2 others who were in wheelchair but they were in a different block and were smaller people and had lightweight electric chairs.
The rest was as has been described before dirty no equipment or broken no glass on frount of microwave. But we had a bed, kettle and shower all we really wanted.
Most of the staff were very helpfull but no one ever offered to help us up the slope, or put is in the better block.
Be Warned don't use if disabled.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jansy56

Travellers are raving about these Portimao hotels

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Myself and my friend stayed here for 5 nights, the room was large and clean, the kitchen had all you'd need for cooking, with a large dining table and 4 chairs. There was also a balcony for sitting out and enjoying the sun. The room was cleaned every day, with fresh towels and bed linen, and the water pressure in the shower was phenomenal. The pool was small but not crowded, plenty of sun loungers and the bar was cheap, only €2.50 for a pint of beer! There was also a selection of bar food and free wifi in the lobby/pool area. The staff were extremely friendly and courteous, and gave us some useful tips about the area. It's about a 15 minute walk down to the main strip of Praia De Rocha, and roughly about the same walking to Portimao, but taxis to either were roughly €4. All in all, if you're looking for someplace cheap and cheerful, I couldn't recommend Mirachoro II Apartments highly enough.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Fintan W
Newry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Everything was broken... the most important were not working.
Phone, fridge/freezer, etc.
Bad service, Just the size is good, nothing else.
Location is not to far from the city or Praia da Rocha.
The kitchen was dirty.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

6 Thank Olga A
south
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I booked this as a last minute extremely cheap deal for only 3 days, I usually stay in fairly expensive hotels minimum 4 stars but as it was such a short break just for a bit of sun I picked the cheapest I could find that did not sound completely terrible!

It was not at all horrible, it was clean and provided what I needed which was a shower and a bed, if I had wanted more I would not choose this hotel. I can't give much opinion on the pool/bar as we only looked around to see what it was like and didn't actually use them but they looked ok, clean and not over crowded.

We had a problem one evening when the trip switch went in our apartment and having already climbed three flights of stairs due to the lift being broken that evening had to trek back down to reception to be instructed to go back up the stairs to find the fuse box in the dark ourselves and 'press the big button', we did and it worked but I would have preferred if somebody had done this for us.

We spent most of our time at the beach which is beautiful, the sand is fine and clean and the water is lovely and clear with next to no seaweed and a few fish swimming about in the shallows, the sea is quite wavy providing some good fun for kiddies jumping about! The sun loungers are rented at 10/12 euros per day, walk up and down the beach to find which has the cheapest rate, they do vary and some sellers are nicer than others! There are many men selling sunglasses etc up and down the beach but you say no thank you and off they go, no hassle.

The only problem with the beach is the distance from this hotel, around 20 minutes at a brisk pace, up hill, down hill, up hill, down hill. Quite tiring in the heat!

We were hassled a little by the restaurant owners up and down the strip while trying to find somewhere to eat at night, this is not so bad if you venture into Portimao for the evening rather than staying in Praia Da Rocha but both have some nice restaurants, if only I could remember the names of them to recommend!

The lady on reception was very, very helpful and welcoming, we learnt a small amount of Portuguese from her.

All in all if you're just looking for somewhere to rest your head after a lovely day at the beach this will do if you're looking for something dirt cheap, if you're looking for real comfort I would recommend spending a little more.

Top tip for Praia Da Rocha! Cheap water! There is a small mall sort of area on the main strip half way up the beach and there is a mini supermarket in there with two very nice twin older ladies working there, their bottles of water are only 14p! Much cheaper than the supermarket the hotel staff will send you to or any of the shops along the beach front!

9 Thank SouthEms
Wrexham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Arrived around midnight and was greeted by reception, a lovely young lady who was very helpful. Any reception staff that I spoke to was nice and helped me with any questions, bookings, taxi's etc.

Rooms - Huge! There was only my 11 year old daughter and myself in a room that could easily fit a larger family. No kettle, bit of a pain but hey, I was on holiday and not planning on staying in the room for long! Room could have been cleaner and I actually gave it all a good clean over before using anything; but then again I have been accused of being quite obsessive with cleanliness in the kitchen, so swings and roundabouts I guess. No air con, not a problem in the daytime but got a bit uncomfortable at night. Balcony was massive, not a bad view either.

Cleaners - I had a cleaner everyday, I say cleaner.......she changed our towels and put the sheets over our beds. But what more do you want for the price you have paid, if you want five star service; pay it and stay elsewhere, simples :)

Beds - I like a real soft bed with feather pillows, that's just my personal choice. The beds and pillows were really firm which caused some very disturbed sleep. If you like a firm bed though, you will be fine. Bedroom was plenty big enough for my daughter and I.

Bathroom - Your basic bathroom, no problems, shower worked fine. One day in the hot hot sun I overdone it and needed a cool bath. Could I get the water to run into the bath? Nope! I don't know if I was doing something wrong or the action was just not possible! I am stubborn and filled the bath from the shower head :) .

Pool and surrounding area - Pool, no problems, not a bad size especially considering it doesn't get too crowded around there. The pool is quite deep at one point, one child actually got into trouble and had to be rescued by one of the other holiday makers, so just be aware of that if you take children who cannot yet swim.You can always find a sunbed, but I wonder if that is because the sunbeds were garbage, they needed a serious update. Every sunbed had dips in them where peoples backside had been, this made them so uncomfortable which almost felt like you were balancing on the supporting plastic. Pool table, what can I say....it worked just fine. My daughter and I didn't play on the football table......not our "thing" really, but there were sounds coming from it so I assume it worked..... We didn't visit the gardens, so I can't comment.

The Continente shop was actually only a 10 minute stroll, I advise you get a taxi back if you have a lot of shopping as there is a slight incline returning to the hotel. My daughter and I managed the walk there and back a few times with two bags of shopping each. It really wasn't that bad, but I think it's the heat that get to people.

The Beach - 15 minute stroll. Steady walk, however the walk is down a very busy road which is more like a bypass, I would be very reluctant to walk it with younger children. I don't advise it for people with walking difficulties as the path's can be very unsteady at times. They drive like nutters there, please be wary of this as it can be quite challenging when you are trying to judge where to cross a road safely. The beaches get very very busy, must be because they are very beautiful. You can walk the shoreline for forever and a day, it is a beautiful beach. Water was quite choppy the whole time we were there. Something to be wary of with young children and weak swimmers. Though I am a weak swimmer and I was ok. Couldn't snorkel, which is something we love to do. Because of the choppiness I wouldn't go out too far, but then that left us with the sandy water and so we couldn't see a thing. I do advise a taxi back to the hotel, though we walked it, it was a killer in that heat.

Night - Went to Praia de Rocha most nights, lots of bars and restaurants. Our fave part was all the little shops and stalls selling the typical holiday stuff. My daughter was in her element buying all the girly trinkets and what not from there. It gets very busy there at night. Defo a taxi ride back to the hotel, I would definitely not like to walk back in the dark. Taxi's varied between 3.60 and 5.90 euros.....guess the price depends on the time of day it is, or if this driver is in a good or bad mood.

Summing up - Not a bad hotel at all, I could stay there again. The staff were lovely and I cannot fault them, though please change those sunbeds, they quite literally are a pain in the [--]. Location not bad for people like us, for those with young children and walking difficulties, you may find yourself getting a lot of taxi's. Beach is beautiful but the water is little choppy.

Thanks for a pleasant stay Mirachoro, met some lovely people and made some great memories.

7 Thank Meli-Ru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stated here with two friends the last week, we only wanted the basics clean room and nice pool however we were disappointed! We had booked an air conditioned room however when we arrived were told it would not be ready till the following day, the pool area is small and no matter what side of pool you sit you will be in shade for some part of the day which is not good for people who like the sun all day, the nearest shop is a 15 minute walk which is awkward when your trying to carry back water etc, our room was cleaned once properly all week, we arrived on the Saturday.. Thrre was no pillow slips on pillows. The bin was changed once on the Monday, I had to ask for clean towels and toilet roll on the Monday and Wednesday, I complained about the room not being cleaned on the Thursday and three maids arrived at the room barely swept the floors and gave out over us going to reception, it was disappointing to have to complain and go looking for towels and pillow slips, the basics. Praia de rocha itself was great plenty of restaurants and a nice number of bars, I'd recommend for people to stay in Praia de rocha itself, although taxis are very cheap it's handy to be able to walk shop and not have to rely on taxis!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Ciara1987
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portimao
Plaza Real Atlantichotels
#12 of 20 in Praia da Rocha
Residencial Sao Roque
Residencial Sao Roque
#29 of 79 in Portimao

Been to Hotel Apartamentos Mirachoro II? Share your experiences!