“Dreadful”

Turim Estrela do Vau Hotel
Ranked #31 of 76 Hotels in Portimao
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Although the location is nice and the rooms are spacious, everything else was terrible.
Starting with the baby's cot wich was made of iron and had no protection whatsoever, and the cleaning was so poor that on the first day a pair of white socks turned grey! Also the pools were not clean enough.
We had half board service and the food was not bad but there was not enough variety, especially at breakfast. The waiters were all very nice and attentive though.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank CristinaMoura

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed at The Estrela Apartments on 1/2 board basis for 8 nights in July. Our stay would have been fine but for the fact we booked 1/2 board. The restaurant is run independently of the apartments As the area is very quiet we thought it best to include dinner. The apartments themselves are spacious and well maintained, excellent house keeping nice pool and beach is near enough to walk. The meals including breakfast were poor. Food Displays were often empty and when it was on display the quality was poor and the quantities limited. The main course 'choice' on one occasion for dinner was chicken wings/burgers/sardines. On another occasion we got a chicken and lamb stew. Fruit was never ripe though to be fair we did see a couple of nice bananas. So our advice hire a car, shop in lidl/aldi or eat out.You will find you have to anyway.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank 917Pat
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We booked a 1 bedroom apartment It was very clean and spacious.Although there were a few issues on arrival. The air conditioning and safe did not work however after a few complaints these were fixed. The rooms were cleaned daily however the cleaners after arrived after 6pm far too late in the day.
The pool area although attractive and there were plenty of sun loungers. However all 3 pools were occupied by children and families playing rowdy games. I feel that 1 pool should be designated as adult only.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean P
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We recently returned from a two week family holiday in the Estrela do Vau apartments and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. Our two bedroom apartment was on the ground floor with a pool view as we requested and we were very impressed by it. Great air-conditioning, very spacious, clean, great cleaning services and staff etc. The staff at the kids club were great, our children enjoyed some great days with them and especially the activities in the pool in the afternoon. There is very little entertainment in the evenings/night time, but we didn't mind, as we enjoyed walking into Praia de Rocha in the evenings for our dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere there, or else we took a taxi to Alvor. It is a beautiful walk to Praia de Rocha by the beach, 20 or 25 mins. But if you have children take a taxi to Alvor as it is a 45 mins walk on poor footpaths/road. The walk to the beach is only 10 mins and it's really fab, lovely sand, water, caves, coves and cliffs. The three pools by the apartments are great with plenty of sun beds. Our children also enjoyed playing table tennis and mini-golf and although the playground there is small they still enjoyed going down there with their new friends and playing their own games in the shade! We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and would recommend these apartments. Thanks to all the staff there and we would love to return sometime.

5  Thank Martina L
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We booked a two bedroom apartment and were all pleasantly surprised at its size. Both bedrooms were very spacious and the living area was huge. It had two balconies, a large bathroom/toilet and a separate shower/toilet. All very clean. All nicely air conditioned. The only thing lacking in the kitchen was an oven, although there was a hob. TV channels were limited so next time we will take a portable DVD player.
Amenities on site were good but don't buy anything from the on-site store as this is very expensive. It is far cheaper (about 5 Euros each way) to get a taxi to Aldi or Lidl, both near the Continente Shopping Centre (which has its own supermarket).
The nearest beach is a 5 minutes stroll away. It will take about half an hour to walk to Praia da Rocha but it is worth it. There are a selection of excellent beaches there with shops and restaurants nearby. We particular liked Taffy's Grill and La Gioconda. If you get to the beach after 2pm, the shaded sunbeds are 7 Euros for two beds, which is half the normal price.
We would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are cooler, with a view of the adjacent golf course and the distant h...
4  Thank GrahamGPlatt
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Just back from a two week stay in July 2013 with husband and 14 and 10 year old boys. We had a lovely view in our apartment of both sea and pool. Room number 433- would recommend 4th floor as you have views of the sea. First thoughts were that the kitchen/dining area was brighter than others we have stayed at. Four ring cooker/kettle/big fridge with proper separate freezer on top. Kitchen appliances well equipped too. There were two big pools and a baby pool with lots of space around. If you want your pick of sun beds you would have to be down with a towel at nine in the morning but if you missed that you would still pick up a bed most times during the day. There is a small gym and spa there too. The gym is free but you had to pay to go into the spa. Tennis courts, mini golf (rubbish) and table tennis free too. Have stayed in Vitors Plaza up the Road so I knew that Praia De Vau is in the middle of nowhere. Half way between Alvor and Praia De Rocha. No problems getting taxis at any time of day or night but prices have gone up. Average cost of taxi now €7/€8 not €5 anymore. However we got a good deal on apartment so even if you factor €200 extra for taxis into costs it’s still good value. Main thing was for me that there were lots of teenage boys and girls there that my 14 year old paled up with straight away. He said it was the best holiday ever and we having been going to the Algarve for the last 12 years. Plenty of kids around for my 10 year old too. Kids club not up to much if you have older kids. It was more like a nursery/crèche for little ones with things like face painting and arts and crafts. A couple of times they did water polo and that went down well but they made up for it as on our last day they had a foam party and bouncy castle in the pool. My two boys just loved it and there was a great atmosphere around the pool. Reception staff very nice and friendly but the man and the lady running the snack bar and restaurant were dreadful.(somebody told me it was franchised out but I don't know for sure) Never saw them crack a smile once over the whole two weeks and they were rude too As with everywhere I've been in the Algarve the beds and pillows are like rocks but it was much quieter at night and in the early morning than most places I've been to and I didn't hear the nonstop pulling of furniture around floors- I think it might be because the cleaners seemed to start work later here. My one BIG complaint was that my 10 year old got an ear infection from the pool. I spoke to about four other families who had the same problem. We had to bring him to the doctors, get a taxi, get a prescription and the whole thing cost us about €100. Not to mention the discomfort my son went through and he had to stay out of the pool. I spoke to the people in reception about it but they were not taking it on board that it was anything to do with the pool. Several other families complained too. I would recommend this apartment and I would go back but I'd bring swimming ear plugs. Air conditioning very good but took me three requests and three days after arrival to get more hangers!

Room Tip: Ask for fourth floor with pool view
6  Thank Breda K
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed here recently. Was a bit concerned before I arrived as the recent reviews were not good, HOWEVER, we certainly had no complaints. The whole
apartment was spotless. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The staff at the kids club were great and I had no qualms leaving my 5 yr old with them for an hour or two. The food at the poolside cafe was ok, nothing fancy.
My only gripe was the prices in the on site shop!!!! A 5 litre bottle of water is €2.50 but can be bought in aldi for 42 cent??? It's worth taking a taxi to aldi/lidl to stock up.
Overall, would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013