“Lovely Hotel staff in restaurant let it down”

Turim Estrela do Vau Hotel
Ranked #34 of 76 Hotels in Portimao
“Lovely Hotel staff in restaurant let it down”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were there 10 days 2 adults 3 Children aged 6 9 11
Over all we had a great time there but it was not without its faults..
On the first day we were there the one pool sides fell in so it was emptied to be repaired so everyone was in the other pool this was very dirty and tasted funny but we never had any problem with this. the filter system was not working and looked very dirty
The sun beds were very worn out.. But they were replacing the tops as we were there
The crazy Golf was very old and worn out not worth playing
Staff in hotel were very helpful, they cleaned our room every day so happy
Rooms looking a bit tired but lots of space and cleaned every day
We were Half Board.. Breakfast was fine always something to eat
Dinner was Good always something good to eat no complaints kids had chips and nuggets so they were happy the salads were fantastic
The staff were not very Helpful in the restaurant you always have to ask them to get you a drink if you never asked then you would go without slightly rude to be honest made me quite angry as if you had a portages family in they would wait on them hand and foot and just look at you and smile weird...
On night time there is no entertainment apart from restaurant live music witch we was not bothered about with kids......
Anyway overall a nice place to stay and good value happy with what we paid i would go back but just have room only due to the very unhelpful staff in restaurant

The end of the day you get what you pay for i was happy with what we got for what we paid

hope this is helpful

2 Thank Gambrell69

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

we (2 adults & 3yr old and 5 yr old) went half board for 1 week ish. Hotel itself has so much potential.
Food: food is repetitive and not that great, edible yes, tasty no. Only night that was different was the BBQ thursday, but it seemed the meats they have every other night was just Barbecued on thursday..
staff: hit and miss
cafe: fairly decent food and fairly priced.
Pool: water tasted funny!! and was full of twigs and various bits and bobs.
rooms: we had a studio on 3rd floor. great size and can't really say a bad word. although lift noise was a pain...
Location: not really close to much.. Beach apparently 15 mins away but did not go. We got a fair priced taxis to pria da Rocha and Alvor.
Entertainment: virtually non existent and what we did see made us want to go out for the evening so thanks for making us see more of the Algarve in the evening.

Overall average but everyones opinion is different so good luck

Room Tip: Top Tip! pay for bed and breakfast only...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank k21978
Akershus, Norway
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were 4 adults, 4 kids 2-7 and 4 teens on a 2 week holiday. We rented 3 apt.
The apt are nice and big, with big balconys. The staff in reception are very friendly. The cleaning staff however not so much. They throw some water on the floor and make your beds. Do not give you new soap in the bath. As the apt are not so well equipped you have to buy cloth, dish brush and soap to keep it clean yourself.
The hotel has a nice atmosphere. In the pictures we saw rooms that were modern. The ones we got were not. The minigolf is broken/worn down, the same with many of the sunbeds by the pool and the tiles and pools themselves. Be careful walking ther.
Kidsclub with different activities and friendly staff.
A beautiful beach but a bit far to walk. WIth kids, coolbags and so on it takes 20-25 minutes to walk up hill back to the hotel.
The shop in the hotel mugs you. 4 times the price of the big stores!
Take taxi to Continent and do your shopping. Taxi is 6 euro.
Alvor is a nice town. 6 euro for taxi there. Lots of restaurants, bars and som tourist shops.
Portimao has a big shoppingcenter. 10 euro taxi.
Estrela Bar at the hotel is ok for some nights with birdsshow or karaoke, but there could be more going on. It is a bit too quite for our taste, and we did get fed up with taxies everywere, but the hotel is not to blame for that. They always ordered taxies and gave us recommandations of where to do what.
The wii-fii in the reception dit not work for the last 10 days of our holiday

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that are renovated and on the backside of the hotel. Over the shop and kitchen the...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I came over with my daughter who is 6, my friend and her 2 children who are 2 and 6. The apartment was clean, very spacious and well equipt. There were some minor issues of lightbulbs out, kettle not working and balcony door not locking. We had a lovely pool view and our 2 bed apartment had 2 large balconies. However do NOT go half board!!! The restaurant is all buffet style. The food was always cold, not enough of it as they do not put enough food out for the number of customers and there is never a member of staff in sight! We ended up eating out for the last couple of nights as we could not bear it anymore! We were on our deserts every night before we even got asked if we wanted a drink and half the time we had to ask them. The staff were rude, very unhelpful and couldn't even tell you what the food was that they were serving. The worst was when I said excuse me, politely, to a waitress one morning and she went absolutely crazy at the fact I had interrupted her from what she was doing, slamming her hand down on the table!! It was only to see if I could get an apple for my daughter as she wouldn't eat anything else and the fruit bowl had not been filled in 2 days. The restaurant is leased, but I would have given the apt 4 stars if it wasn't for that issue. The pools could be a bit cleaner too but luckily I only dipped my feet in them. Met some lovely people but they had similar issues. Don't think I would go back, Customer Service is lacking!!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Ann W
IRELAND
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 boys. We stayed here for 11 nights and had a 2 bed apartment on the ground floor which was fantastic, so spacious, great for the kids, and a lovely balcony overlooking the pool area. The pool was very enjoyable, agree with other reviews, could be a bit cleaner but we had a super time there. The pool snack bar was very good not just for during the day but could also be an option for early evening food. The food in the restaurant was okay. The beach was a 15 minute walk which was just about enough with young kids but we enjoyed the walk and the beach 'praya de vau' is beautiful. The restaurant on the beach serve really good food, especially the fresh fish in the evening. It is necessary to get taxis to Alvor and Praya de Rocha but that's okay, they are cheap and well worth it. Ideally I would prefer restaurants, shops etc to be closer to my place of stay. There is a huge opening for entertainment to be improved, so many famililes around in the evening and not a lot going on in the bar. Our boys made so many friends there. Hi to our lovely Dutch neighbours and thanks for the buckets and shovels, boys were thrilled. Overall we had a very enjoyable holiday and I would recommend this hotel.

Cork, Ireland.

Room Tip: Definitely ground floor for young families and pool view is lovely.
4 Thank SabrinaIreland
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just back from two week holiday in July with husband and two kids 15 and 11. They have a issue with the cleanliness of the pool so I will not be going back. last year my son got an ear infection and so did loads of other kids-it ruined three days of his holidays. I brought ear plugs this year which was a pain having to put in every time they got in and out of the pool but well worth it as no infection and no 75 euro for doc.Nearly every family I spoke to again this year had at least one member of their group with an ear infection. The pool was so slimy you could not stand as your foot would go out from under you. There are three pools a baby one a mid sized one and a deep one. The lining of the mid sized one fell in on the second last day of our holidays.They had drained the pool and were working on it still when we left. It made the deep pool very busy.Glad it wasn't going on for the whole two weeks we were there. The usual hunt for the sun beds is also a saga and it is not the Germans but the Irish who are at fault. The second week of our holidays a bar/pool man appeared with his loud repetitive music. If I ever here Bob Marlay again I will scream. It was so much more tranquil on the first week without him. However he did improve the sun bed issue. He would walk around the pool and if he felt that beds were being held and not being used he would remove the towels. It was so funny there was uproar but he was right except he did seem to target certain families and if you where Portuguese he would go out of his way to get a bed for you so much so that i thought he might hoof me off my bed when three lovely young single Portuguese girls arrived. The shop is a joke as it was totally understocked and over priced. Most days I went there there was no fresh bread rolls. If I went in at 10 she would say come back at 11, if I went it at 11 she would say to come back at 12.... It was crazy. A can of beer was almost 2 euro and 1 euro in Alvor. In the bar a pint was 4 euro but about 2 euro everywhere else. On booking I asked for a pool view and when i checked in again I asked if I could have a pool view and was told that the room had a pool view. Went to room no pool view.Back down to reception and asked the man why he told me the room had a pool view when it didn't and he just shrugged his shoulders and said it was not possible-asked him why he lied he just shrugged his shoulders again. Asked to speak to the Manager and he was not available till the following morning. Did not unpack spoke to the Manager and he was very polite very nice and got me a room with a pool view even though the guy at check in said it was not possible. If you have a special request they don't seem to pay any attention to it as several people i spoke to had similar issues as me. The people who did the kids club seemed very nice and friendly and the kids loved them. Mine were too old for most of the activities but they did pool volley ball and pool games which they enjoyed. Also the pillows were obviously upgraded as they were comfortable and soft and not like rocks like last year -beds still hard. The lock on our door broke and a maintanence guy came and fixed it almost immediately which was very impressive. Cleaners came at about 10 in morning while my kids still slept so i put do not disturb sign on until about 12 O clock each morning and didn't see them again for four days until I went looking for somebody to empty our bins. The A/c is very good and the apartments are well kitted out. The table tennis and table pool table was great for kids to hang out and meet friends. Once again my kids were totally occupied with the gang they met so that was brilliant as we could relax. The crazy golf is free but if you paid for it you would ask for your money back- it is falling apart and disgraceful really. If they sorted out the pool issue it would be good value for money- taxis to and from town of Alvor and Priara de Rocha no problem. Good having two areas to choose at night was great from but taxis will add about 200 euro onto your holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for room at end of corridor away from lift shaft and not near cleaners rooms
2 Thank Breda K

Travellers are raving about these Portimao hotels

cardiff
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a surprisingly good hotel considering from the exterior it doesn't have the wow factor. Rooms are clean, well equipped and good view over golf course. Pool is great although not enough sun beds to accommodate everyone and it wasn't even high season. Check in was later than we would have liked which was a minor irritation. All in all a great place to stay and good value although I wouldn't say it is 4 star but I would still go again.

4 Thank dotty1cardiff