We went to Martinhal in September 2011 for a week, with our 18 month old daughter, and had a really fantastic holiday. We had debated a garden house vs. a partial sea view as we were afraid that the garden houses would be a bit far away from everything. In the end we got a garden house, but requested one that was near to the spa/creche (the most central location to everything) and were really thrilled with our decision. The garden houses have a lot more space, and they have private gardens that you can walk right out to. The sea view houses seem a little bit less private, and less spacious. They are slightly more central on the property, but not enough to really make a difference.
The creche was amazing, and we felt really comfortable leaving our daughter there for a couple of hours every day; it meant that we could sit by the pool in peace for a small stretch!
We had a car, which was amazing, and allowed us to check out the area, including the most gorgeous national park beaches - honestly not to be missed. This also allowed us to go out for dinner in Sagres, which was a real treat. I had read a lot of reviews of restaurants in town, and we picked some great ones: Vila Veha - really incredible - not cheap but totally reasonable, especially for the quality. A Casinha - really good - small and cozy and quite reasonable. A Tasca - a nice view over the port, right down on the water -florescent lighting, but a good patio - good food, although not quite as outstanding as the other two.
September was a great time to visit, as there weren't any school age children. Also the famous winds were very calm, and basically a non-factor for us. Sometimes it was a bit too breezy to sit on the beach, as our little girl complained, but mostly it was fine.
Also worth checking out was the pilates on the beach every morning. A wonderful way to start the day!
Altogether we had a really amazing, relaxing holiday. I can't recommend it enough for people with little kids.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TravelUp, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel