Nice enough. 5 star - lovely resort.
Few refinements needed around edges - cleanliness of pools (attentiveness to keeping in order during day), attentiveness of restaurant staff (friendly but probably understaffed so don't pour drinks/ clear away quickly enough). Better communication of activities and restaurants/ things to do needed. Could do with providing restaurant menus for example in the apartments. Ants in apartment which should have been noted. Kids club was full the whole time so only got to get our children in for a couple of sessions. Not a disaster as we do want to spend time with the kids but they are used to pre-school and actually wanted to go there. If it is something that gets very full then the resort should make this clear up front so that people book.
Few little touches missing. They could improve things by putting 3 or 4 toys in the apartments seeing as the resort is so heavily marketed to families.
Meals exceptionally expensive for pretty standard food and we couldn't help feeling ripped off on this front.
We had seen reviews about the shop being expensive but we didn't think that was too bad. Decent quality and diversity of products so no complaint there.
We personally felt that the heavy marketing to families has been overdone. We had 3 young kids ourselves and everything was geared up for them but we just felt slightly suffocated by wall-to-wall families and it would have been nice to see more diversity. We've stayed in other 5* family friendly resorts in the US with little children and have enjoyed seeing all age ranges and travellers.
On the whole the place was lovely but lacked the wow factor, mainly due to attention to the details which is a shame because it wouldn't take much to bring it to the next level. We personally wouldn't be in a huge rush to return but that is more down to personal taste than anything else. The kids did love it though and the accommodation and its furnishings were stunning so all in all a mixed review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prestigia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres