We stayed here for 1 week last summer (2013).
We booked a 2 bedroom Pinewood House which came with its own private pool. The accommodation was expensive but extremely impressive and far preferable to a hotel room. Clean, modern, well appointed. Our room had an en-suite bathroom and so the children had the use of their own bathroom. The open plan kitchen and lounge were excellent and this gave us the option to have a night in when we didn't fancy going out for dinner (the italian does takeaway pizza and there are nice restaurants outside if you are up for a drive out). We had loungers and bean bags by our private pool and it provided a nice peaceful break from the main pool.
The hotel facilities were very good. The place is clean and well presented. There is a nice family pool with a snack bar. Easy access to the beach which also has a little snack bar (not connected to the hotel). Good restaurants in the hotel serving decent quality food. Seafood restaurant by the beach very good but quite expensive. We liked the fact that this isn't a package holiday/all inclusive style hotel. It has a cool independent vibe. It was stylish, chic and somewhere that we could enjoy as well as the kids.
Our children were aged 6 and 8 at the time and the hotel was perhaps lacking in entertainment/facilites for their age group. There seemed to be very good facilities for younger children and there was a games room for older children in the village but we felt they were caught somewhere in the middle. This meant they spent most of their time with us - not always a good thing!
The location is very very windy. I have never been anywhere quite like it before. We didn't find this to be much of a problem at the main pool which was sheltered from the wind. However, the beach was a bit too windy for us. That said, I think that the quality of the hotel far outweighs the problems with the wind.
Having been on an all inclusive holiday to the Sensatori Tenerife (Thomson) with the children this summer for much the same money (and having had a truly awful experience) I feel compelled to emphasise how great this place is!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, Prestigia, Agoda, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel