This was our first foreign travel excursion with my daughter (22 months.) I chose the hotel because of the unique combination of luxury and a family friendly atmosphere (even for young children) and was not disappointed. Martinhal made it possible for my husband and I to relax on vacation with a toddler (no easy feat). I requested safety gates and outlet protectors prior to our stay and we found them installed and a highchair set up when we arrived in our room (and all provided at no extra cost). The hotel throughout seemed designed with small children in mind. Each of the pool areas included a shallow kiddie pool and several were enclosed by a large wall. That made it possible for us to relax in a bean bag chair while our daughter stayed corralled in a limited area (which made her happy because she had some freedom to walk around and us happy because we didn't need to follow closely behind her everywhere.) The glasses for drinks provided by the pool looked like typical barware but were, in fact, made of plastic which again helped ease our stress about her possibly knocking over a drink. The square by the market and the casual restaurant had activities set up and hotel employees at certain hours to entertain the kids while the adults finished their meal and looked on. Finally, the furniture in the hotel had rounded edges for the most part and an open floor plan. I couldn't have asked for more to make traveling with a toddler easier.
With respect to other aspects of the hotel, we were pleased with the food and service at all three restaurants. My husband and I enjoyed our massages at the spa and my mohter-in-law loved her facial. The robes provided at the spa were strangely small, however, as if they shrunk in the wash (my husband and I are fairly athletic, not overweight, and found the robe barely covered us.) The weather was absolutely ideal for sunbathing and lounging. Often on vacation, I can only sit and read for 30 minutes at a time before I'm so overheated I have to go in the pool or ocean to cool off. At Martinhal, I could just sit by the pool or on the beach for hours and relax. The sun was very warm but the breeze helped make it feel perfectly comfrotable at all times. At night, the wind does make it a bit cool but I was prepared with some sweaters and felt fine.
Overall, we had a fantastic stay and would absolutely recommend the hotel - especially to those traveling with young children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres