“Nicely located Hotel with an average room comfort”

Residencial Sao Francisco
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Horta
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Very nicely located in the city center of Horta close to the marina - Rooms are OK but with no luxury at all - room fee is quite low so you get for what you pay - Beds are OK, bathroom has got the minimum equipment and breakfast is also minimal. Free WiFi in the lobby only. I would not recommend for more than 1 or 2 nights. Boat terminal can be reached by foot in 10 mn. Very convenient for early departures. Horta Airport is also 10mn with taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the marina and the Pico mountain if available
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fav P

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was extremely wary of having booked a room at Residencial Sao Francisco having read the reviews on tripadvisor but feel strongly that the majority are unjust and that some of the previous reviews are from travelers who misunderstand the type of service RSF is offering.

This is not luxury accommodation but is clean, friendly, quiet and very central to town with amazing views at a very reasonable price. Faial attracts active people; watersports, walkers, sailors... the hotel provides very sufficient accommodation. There are quite a few mentions of a the musky smell at in these reviews and I very consciously sniffed the air as I walked in - I noticed nothing of the sort! The building is old with traditional decor and a homely feel but is not at all run down or weathered like some people say. I found it to be quite beautiful and relaxing.

On my first night I stayed in a land view room which was airy & bright with tall ceilings. The wifi had good connection and the sheets were crisp white. The bathroom was spotless with shower/bath, towels, soap. The ceilings are made of traditional cork tiles which meant lamp fittings on the wall and the bathroom didn't feel as bright as modern bathrooms we have become accustomed, though I was quite happy putting my makeup on in the bathroom mirror. Plug sockets plentiful and bed was comfy. Wardrobe, desk and bedside tables.

On the second night RSF moved me to a sea view room at no extra cost on account they had space. Nice! Again, clean sheets, comfy bed, basic furniture, nice white bathroom with wall lighting and cork ceiling. No smell, good wifi. I had a balcony too with plastic chairs and a view of Pico to die for!!

Breakfast was an array of tea and coffee (herbal/normal), Fresh orange, kettle/toaster. Bread rolls, butter, jam & sliced ham/cheese. Perfectly acceptable for people on the run. You can buy full breakfast from Cafe Volga, 50yrs up road towards the Marina for around €3 - not the end of the world! :o)

Staff were extremely friendly and courteous... had absolutely no trouble other than on one day I forgot to hand my key in for the morning maid (who was absolutely lovely) and the afternoon maid ended up cleaning my room on this occasion. I found it odd that my suitcase had been lifted onto a chair - presumably to clean the floor... however on leaving Faial, I noticed £40 (2x £20 sterling) missing from my English wallet - with only £10 (2x £5) remaining. The full £50 had been stored altogether inside my suitcase on my arrival however £5 notes are too low a denomination to be exchanged on the island.

I really do hate that we are so quick to accuse cleaners and would not accuse lightly, but in this instance; the change of staff, moved suitcase & £5 left behind - it's not rocket science!

Had it been a greater amount or had I realised in a more timely manner I would have reported it. I would advise you make use of the safety deposit boxes and/or keep cash with you.. as with any hotel you visit... my own naivety!

Other than this small disappointment I was very comfortable staying at RSF and would happily return with greater caution over my money. It is VERY conveniently located and as far as the physical hotel itself goes I have no complaints.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room if possible - great view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Nic-C-Ren
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This hotel is in an older building with basic rooms in the centre of town. The view looking out at the marina is lovely at dusk. Some rooms on the second floor have access onto a large shared patio with plastic chairs. My stay here was part of a group tour that coincided with the start of Sea Week. We could listen to the bands playing music down the street but it was still noisy after midnight. Breakfast was basic, wifi signal in the lobby was strong.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sylvia L
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Basic Hotel, the reception staff are very helpfull and speak good english [except 89year grand mum] breakfast is the worst bit, very basic but they will get up for a 6am breakfast[handy if you are moving on, the rooms at the front have great views.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peterandjenny282
Reviewed 17 September 2010

The hotel Residential Sao Francisco is located right in the center of Horta and this is only one thing that I liked here. It's about 15min from Airport by taxi (12 EUR) and only few minutes to the harbour, cruise terminal and restaurants. The hotel is rather old and definitely needs improvements. The rooms are very basic (beds, night tables, a desk and a chair, a wardrobe and a TV with portugal language-only channels) with old fashioned bathroom accessories (one of the mirror lamp doesn't work well: it's dangerous!). The staff were correct but not too warm. They dont accept credit cards, so payment is only cash. The breakfast was very very poor, served with low quality coffee and food, very disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank jakub-krakau
Reviewed 11 June 2010

My boyfriend and I booked a room for one night with sea view. When we arrived we got the key from a small, dark, smelly room with a small window from which we had view on a desolate courtyard. The furniture in the room was worn-out and dated. We were supposed to pay 82 euros for this room. Really ridiculous! After complaining we first got the same room with the same view, but on a lower floor. After complaining for the second time we got a room with sea view and a balcony, but this room also had a terrible smell and worn-out, dated furniture. The entire hotel smelled bad and was very dark. It looked like a haunted house. We left immediately and went to Hotel Horta.
Don't book Residencial Sao Francisco. On the pictures it looks good, but the reality shows otherwise. Expect a dark, smelly, old, and ridiculously over priced hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RenateNetherlands
Reviewed 25 September 2008

A group of us rented at this place for 3 days. We wouldn't have stayed except that we had prepaid and didn't know how to get out of it. The lady at the front desk did not speak English. The smell was like being in a convalescent home. The carpets were thin and soiled, our mattress felt like it was not even a mattress but an inner spring, and it just had a dark, dreary feel about it. Also the breakfast was very minimal. The place was clean enough (other than the yucky carpet), and the location was good, but it definitely needs some upgrading. I would NOT recommend it to anyone. We booked through an agency and paid what amounted to about $135 a night. Definitely overpriced and not a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Teddy008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horta
Hotel do Canal
Aldeia da Fonte Nature Resort
Aldeia da Fonte Nature Resort
#1 of 2 in Lajes do Pico
Azoris Faial Garden Resort Hotel

Been to Residencial Sao Francisco? Share your experiences!