“This location: second to none”

Residencial Alcides
Ranked #3 of 30 Ponta Delgada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The location, in the heart of historic Ponta Delgada, is ideal for discovering the city on foot. Virtually everything a guest needs is within a short walk: museums, major historic sites, shopping, many restaurants and cafes, post office, bus station, taxi stand. The very helpful Ponta Delgada tourism office, on the seafront Avenida Infante D. Henrique, is about two blocks walk. The hotel staff are first rate. The rooms have cable TV with many Portuguese, Brazilian, English and German language channels, and there is flawless WiFi on all floors.

Room Tip: My room on the third floor was almost always very, very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Patrick S

Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel during my trip in Azores in August-September 2013. The hotel is very centrally located and just about 5-10 mins walk from marina. Many nice cafe and restaurants are around. In summer you can also see people playing music and even garbage man sings:)

The personnel of this recidencial is extremely friendly and does everything to help you. I dealt mainly with Sandra who sent me the first email long before I came. She helped to organise a few tours and always greeted you with her wonderful smile.
Rooms are all good size. Some would say the furniture is a big old but I found both rooms I stayed in are charming. The only thing I would probably change is towels. They are clean but a bit old.

I initially stayed in a quiet room but then asked for a street view one and never regretted. It was not loud at all and I never had a problem to fall asleep but it had one little lovely balcony and the noise from outside made the room alive.
My only issue with this hotel was Internet. The wi-fi only worked in a bathroom which was extremely annoying and despite a few attempts to re-launch internet, made by hotel's personnel, nothing worked.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel as it is centrally located, clean and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Liliya I
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This was a great little find, and a super little independent hotel in the centre of Ponta Delgada. I was greeted with a lovely friendly welcome by Pedro and his staff. They recommended tours and organised everything for me.
All the staff went out of their way to be helpfully and friendly, and couldn't do enough for you.
Before I arrived, they had even emailed me to offer me a front room that could be noisy, or a back room that would be quieter (although without a view). I took a back room, and was very pleasantly surprised by the size and facilities of the room. ( Noticed some people say the rooms are dated, but i think it was full of charm and character. I loved it) wasn't bothered about not having a view, as was out during the day to site see, and slept well at night.
A good choice for breakfast, always with lovely fresh produce and loved the fact you could squeeze your own orange juice. Had a meal my last evening, which lived up to the great reviews and recommendations. Best steak I've tasted in a very long time.
In all I couldn't have asked for more, and hope to return again one day. This place really does feel inter -mate, family run, individual and full of character. Traveling on my own, I didn't feel out of place as everyone was so warm and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank IlovesunshineUk
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed at the alcides in ponta delgada as part of our vacation at the Azores.
The hotel is nice and simple,our room was very clean and nice,
beds were very comfortable and it was quiet and cozy.

the hotel restaurant served some of the best food we had at sau miguel !

The staff were so nice and warm,we booked everything through them and they were so helpful
and informative (and kind,and warm and friendly!) that i cannot see how i would manage my tour with out Pedro`s recommendations and kind help.

I would absolutely come back to the Alcides if i were to travel to the Azores once more.
A Big big thanks !

Room Tip: Very good location and staff. in fact some of the most charming people we met through our vacation...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jfalikman
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The location is great, the staff were very friendly, the WIFI worked great, breakfast is good, the room was spacious and the beds were comfortable, but the maintenance is not great. The towels had rags, the cupboard door prevented the drawers from opening, the airconditioning didn't work, keeping the window open at night resulted in noise from a nearby club and the last day we found two cockroaches in the room.
The restaurant is quite nice, with really wonderful white house wine at 2,50. All in all a mixed experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank A P
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Simply put - great service. We planned our holidays and searched for interesting places to visit in advance. However when we arrived to the hotel they asked us what we are interested in seeing and the guy at the reception showed us where to go, what to see and what to do. He de facto planned our one day trip so we could see a lot without haste.

All around very friendly people working there. Personally I do not have to have five-star hotel to feel comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vaclav S
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My colleague and I recently stayed at Alcides with a group of 12 of our college students on a study tour of Portugal and the Acores. We could not have picked a better property, as it is a microcosm of all that is wonderful about the Acores: quaint, charming, and rereshingly welcoming. Pedro and his staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, and really looked after us from the moment we booked through our final departure. The rooms are very comfortable, and, as a residencial, gives you much more of a local experience than an ordinary hotel. It is also located in the very heart of Ponta Delgada, so all of the cities' sites, restaurants, and bars are right outside your door. Finally, the restaurant in Alcides is considered by the locals to be the best in town, with food that is fresh (shopped for daily), a dining room that is full of character, and a varied menu that is changed daily. Alcides is truly a special place, particularly if you're looking for a real Acorean experience! I will be going back with my family this summer!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends