“Average Hotel, Good Service, Perfect Location”

Sao Miguel Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Ponta Delgada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sao Miguel Park Hotel for 5 nights. We came to this property on a Groupon deal so we didn't know what to expect. The hotel is PERFECTLY situated within a short walk into town for shopping and dining but set back enough to be quiet. It has a good deal of amenities, including a fitness center, 2 pools, whirlpool, sauna, restaurant, bar, and gift shop. A free breakfast is provided each morning in the restaurant, which my husband thoroughly enjoyed. I found the choices to be very limited but it was just enough to get us going in the morning before starting our day. We did not try the dinner buffet but were told by some locals that it was actually quite good. The bar was fine but a little pricey compared to others in the area. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were lovely and the outdoor one was never crowded. There is a rule about wearing bathing caps in both pools, whirlpool, and sauna (for both men and women), which (along with our limited time on the island) prevented us from enjoying those particular amenities that we would normally use. As many others reviewers have said, the hotel décor is dated. The tile, carpet, drapes, furniture and bedding all are worn and in desperate need of replacement. When we first arrived, I noticed it immediately. I think this is the only reason I could not give the hotel a perfect rating. If you can overlook this, the hotel's strong point is definitely it's location and level of service. The management and staff are friendly and attentive. I emailed in advance to request a room with an ocean view and balcony because we were celebrating both a special birthday and anniversary. When we arrived we found to our delight that we had been placed on the 6th floor (top) with a lovely balcony with both city and ocean view. Our room was perfectly clean and there was a small refrigerator and safe for our use. There is an energy-saving system in place for power in the rooms that requires that a key must stay inserted in a wall outlet by the door to keep the power on (both lights and air conditioning). This was not a problem for us, although it did mean having to wait for the room to cool off again upon our return from a long outing. A couple times we had to use our spare key to keep the power on while we were gone in order to keep our refrigerator on and our food/drink cold. The balcony was such a nice bonus for us and we used it frequently to enjoy the view and a nice glass of wine. The staff at the front desk was always friendly and helpful with arranging tours or calling a taxi. I will caution you though that you should handle your currency exchange in advance and/or outside of the hotel, as the front desk was NOT willing to exchange our USD (with the exception of $20 only once when we were there). We had not exchanged enough prior to our arrival, assuming that exchange at the hotel would be available. This was the only issue in which we found the front desk staff to be stern and unwaivering. We happened to run short on funds late one day prior to the next day being a bank holiday and it proved to be a little problematic. We fortunately found several ATMs in town and some restaurants (although not all) accepted credit cards.

All in all, our stay at the Sao Miguel Park Hotel was wonderful. If some care was taken to update the hotel furnishings and fixtures, it would be a 5 star place. From what we saw, it seems that many of the other properties in the area are in the same general condition. The location and most staff we encountered were excellent. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Babetha297

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed for 5 nights. THe hotel is a few blocks off the main drag, but not a bad walk. The rooms were clean and had a balcony. The desk staff spoke great english and were super helpful suggesting local places to eat and helping out. We had a tour issue and they got it straightened out. Unfortunatly it was too cold for the pool, but it looked nice!

the only critism was Breakfast was ordinairy and there was no variation. The coffee was the worst in the Azores. and the bar prizes were double the rest of the town. Don't bother drinking there go one block down and you get it for 1/2 price with local flair!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank D B
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here in March and thought it was a perfectly fine hotel. Yes, the beds are two twins pushed together, but that is very typical for Europe. The breakfast buffet was large and plentiful with lots of options. Ponta Delgada doesn't really have any places to stop for breakfast, not even pastry shops. The hotel staff helped us book a reservation for one of the restaurants in Furnas which was fun. The rooms are fine and remind me of something along the lines of a Holiday Inn. The shower was great and always hot. They don't have conditioner so you might want to bring that. The lobby does have wifi but you have to be standing in the right spot. We found it difficult to get wifi on the whole island and were always surprised at the places that did have it. We enjoyed our stay and if we were to go back to Sao Miguel, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kmgass
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The proximity to downtown and to the new mall with grocery store was amazing. It was about a 5 minute walk to the new mall Parque Atlantico which is where I got free wifi in the food court. There was also free wifi in a small shopping center ,SolMar, which is by the harbor and was a little hard to find until I walked into it by accident. That and downtown are about a 10-15 walk. I had trouble finding ice, as I have always heard about Europe, but forgot about it. I was able to get two cubes on the flight over, and the hotel charged more for ice than beer, wine, and about as much as a salad. Not a bad thing, just letting you know ice is hard to come by. The hotel staff was great and set up my tours. I am roughly 6'2" and I found the beds a little uncomfortable. Two small beds pushed together with some small blankets and not the softest in the world. I felt I was just too big for one and it was awkward having two with dip in the middle. Besides that, shower pressure was great and hot and everything else was superb, especially for the price. Would absolutely stay again. Also, my room view overlooked the pool towards the harbor and was spectacular when the rains came in.

Room Tip: My room faced East and could see Southeast to the harbor and could see the mountain near Furnas.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank TravelinJash
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed for a week in April which I now know is the quiet season, the main season beginning in June. I agree that the hotel decor is a little tired but actually it became irrelevent given the brilliant location overlooking Ponta Delgada harbour and the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. I only had bed and breakfast, choosing to eat out in the evening and actually the day trips which I did included a midday meal which was more than adequate as a main meal. The breakfast was ok.
Because it was out of season I never had a problem with using the spa facilities but I can imagine that it could be an issue later in the season with the locals using it. On Ponta Delgada in general, there was one day when a Celebrity cruise liner with 2800 guests docked and all available coaches and minibuses were booked in advance making it very difficult to book trips.

Room Tip: Corner room had very large balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Christine904
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Four of us stayed in two rooms for 6 nights. I cannot think of any major thing that was wrong, disappointing or negative about our stay however, some things you should be aware of:

- No Wifi: You can obtain an internet voucher from the front desk to allow you internet access to a PC in the loby.
- Pool: You will be required to wear a swimming cap which you can rent/buy from front desk. If you use the hot tub you are asked to wear a shower cap, but we did not.

Positives:
- The bar let us borrow a cork screw, to open wine we did not purchase there.
- The work out facilities were lovely with plenty of windows.
- When we wanted to rent a car the front desk showed us options from their preferred company. (Who were excellent)
- The lobby had a large table which was perfect for meeting the rental car company and doing the paperwork. We were allowed to park the car in the lot overnight for free and the hotel took care of returning the car.
-Everything was very clean and the housekeeping did sweet things like folding our pj's in cute ways.
- Water pressure was excellent in the bathroom and the water was very hot.
- You can order 'juice' in the morning to be delivered to your room. The hotel goes above and beyond sending not only juice but coffee/tea and a basket of bread.
- Breakfast buffet was massive with a LARGE variety. (No pancakes, bagles, or waffles though) Meats, eggs, breads, items to make sandwiches, cereal, drinks, yogurt, and plenty of fruits.
- The hotel is situated higher up in the city and has breathtaking views.

We are returning this coming October 2014, and not staying at the same hotel (not by choice-purchased through Groupon). I hope the second hotel can compare.
- Beds are twins and are comfortable.

Room Tip: Use the stairs as the elevators can be a bit slow. Dining is on the 2nd floor. Purchase knick-knac...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Meredith C
Reviewed 3 May 2014

There are many nice features about this hotel so let me start with those: it is very clean and centrally located for walking the city. The staff are wonderful and speak excellent English. The bar is a good place to hang out at night and sit outside by the pool with an after dinner drink or coffee. Now the negative stuff: we made our reservation in January and (based on TA's previous reviewers) requested a room on an upper floor with ocean view. We arrived to find a small, tired room on the lowest floor that looked out on a paved soccer pitch where teens gathered every night to play and yell. There was broken tile in the bathroom, the chairs were old and torn, the curtains were broken and only opened part way, the closet doors were also broken and it took some muscle to open them. The safe had to be pried open with our fingernails after we typed in our code because,it too, was faulty. We asked at the desk for a better room and the woman said no.Parking was hard to find in the hotel lot and we discovered that the reason was most likely locals coming to use the indoor pool and/or gym. I'm guessing they can buy a membership. That led to another problem; the pool was never useable because it was full of screaming children who dominated the place while their parents took up the entire small hot tub. The indoor pool was also located next to our room so even though we would like to have had our windows open, the noise was just too obnoxious. Breakfast was included and the quality varied day to day as the staff also changed daily. One day the food would be replenished quickly and was hot, the next day there might be no coffee and everything served tepid. We never knew what the situation would be. The hotel, while well located for walking, is in the center of one way streets - all going in the opposite direction from the hotel. It's a nightmare trying to find your way back on any but the one street that allows access to the hotel, so make sure you have your GPS with you. This hotel was given four stars -- I assume because they offer several amenities, but we really couldn't use most of them due to overcrowding. The place is very clean but needs updating in different areas - especially the carpeting and the elevator which takes forever so we always used the stairs. I would choose a different hotel next time.

Room Tip: There is no website for this hotel but call and ask for an ocean facing room on an upper floor...hop...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 23 in Ponta Delgada
Azoris Royal Garden Hotel
Azoris Royal Garden Hotel
#6 of 23 in Ponta Delgada

Been to Sao Miguel Park Hotel? Share your experiences!