“El typico”

Dining options: Reservations
The Hague, The Netherlands
“El typico”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

This place offers a typical azorian labourer experience. Order the grilled squid and be sure to fill up on the cabbage soup that's simply put on the table while waiting for the main dish. This is their signature specialty and the whole island seems to be in on the secret. Now you might think cabbage soup is not an experience on its own. But it is. It was by far the best soup I ever ate. And this is saying something coming from a guy that doesn't like soup and said no twice before tasting it.

Visited June 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect restaurant, with local ambiance”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Local music, great ambiance

Food with fresh ingredients, very tasty.
After 3 weeks of visiting the 9 islands of the azores the best restaurant

Best sangria on the azores

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank macklion
Salt Lake City, UT
“Not great food but the cellar-like surroundings are homey”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The Adega Lusitania was the first restaurant my husband and I visited on a recent two-week trip to the Azores. It was our introduction to the Couvert, the small plates of appetizers, bread, butter, etc. that are generally served at the beginning of meals. Sometimes they were the best part of the dinner. Many object to paying for items they didn't order, and usually each part is priced separately so the list can be lengthy when the bill arrives. We observed several patrons at various restaurants asking waiters to take the the small plates back, not always with success. At this restaurant, they were quite good and few in number, and the bread was especially memorable. We both ordered Alcatra, the local pot roast with bacon, wine, lots of garlic and a few vegetables. While it was good and the meat was tender, we had much better bowls of it afterward at other restaurants. The service was well paced the evening we were there. At 32 euros, the dinner was a value and it's location near the Terceira Mar Hotel made it doubly valuable to us on the first day after a long flight.

• Visited May 2013
Goes, The Netherlands
“grouper (fish)!!”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

delicious food. You start with the soup of aunt Tia. It is almost a obligation. Very tastful soup. Then we ate grouper. A huge fish. delicious. At 10 pm, a group of singers entered the restaurant. A fantastic atmosphere. (we were lucky, they do their singing only on invitation)

Visited August 2012
1 Thank schliek
Culver City, California
“Good good - service rushed”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I'd tried many good restaurants in and around Angra do Heroismo so I kind of wound up at Adega Lusitania by process of elimination. I must say that all the other restaurants at which I ate in Angra and Sao Mateus were better than this one.

I see that this restaurant has many good reviews here - and the food was acceptable but not great. But I found the service very annoying. You must be aware that in Portugal and the Azores you are offered a Couvert which is a sampling of appetizers. And it's usually at a nominal fee of about 2 euros which is fine. Be careful at this restaurant as they offer a wide variety of appetizers as a part of the Couvert, each of which is priced separately - even the butter. I'm not finding fault with this custom, just warning you as a diner.

The wine recommended by the waiter was so-so.
As I was enjoying the wine and Couvert, the soup was brought. It actually was a very good vegetable soup and arrived in a gigantic tureen. But I had little time to enjoy it before my main course arrived and the soup and Couvert were quickly removed from the table.

The restaurant was not busy at all - so I'm not sure what the rush. They'd asked me a few times if I was ready for the entree and I said "no". I was not eating slowly as I was dining alone - but after a few minutes, it didn't matter, the soup and couvert were removed and the entree was delivered. I guess this is my big beef with the restaurant.

Guess that's enough about that experience.

The restaurant itself is attractive and the fish entree was OK but not great. Like I said, exhaust other alternatives in Angra and in the nearby suburb of Sao Mateus before trying this one.

• Visited May 2012