“Genuine Indian People & Food!”

Masala Indian Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 529 Restaurants in Cascais
Price range: US$14 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Bem-Vindo ao Restaurante MASALA. Cozinha Indiana Excepcional! Situado no coração de Cascais, este restaurante é o local ideal para apreciar uma refeição saborosa, num ambiente relaxante, a um preço razoável. Uma boa selecção de pratos vegetarianos estão disponíveis. Veja a nossa Ementa! Os cozinheiros peritos e os nossos produtos originais são a garantia de que vai desfrutar do verdadeiro sabor da cozinha indiana original.
Poole, United Kingdom
“Genuine Indian People & Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Masala Restaurant.
We do not usually eat Indian food when away on holiday. However, after a damp and very windy day we were feeling in the need of something hot and spicy.
Previously walking around Cascais we had seen the Masala Restaurant.
Now I eat a lot of genuine Indian food in the Middle East and know the difference. It always amazes me how restaurants in the UK get away with calling themselves Indian. More than 90% of so called Indian restaurants in the UK are indeed Bengali (Bangladeshi)! The taste and style of the cuisines is very different.
So, more in hope than expectation we decided to try Masala.
Wonderful, that is the only way that I can describe this GENUNE Indian restaurant.
The welcome, the decor, the ambience and especially the food were all genuine.
Our waiter was from North India and on enquiry I found that the head Chef was from Mumbai. All the staff were well trained, spoke excellent English and were very attentive.
The place was very busy and we were lucky to gain the last table. Whilst we dined the queue grew outside the door and onto the pavement!
We ordered a glass of house red wine for Jean and a medium beer for me. The beer was very cold (chilled glass) just right for me and Jean said that the house red was one of the best she had tasted anywhere, let alone in Portugal.
Before we ordered a small plate with a papadom was offered along with a small selection of (3) chutneys. The papad was crisp and the chutneys both tart and sweet.
One starter was ordered for me, the onion Bhaji. This is a favourite of mine and I think you can tell the quality of a restaurant from the way they prepare and present this dish. In this case it was excellent. A very good portion with the outside crisp and the inside cooked but still a little moist.
For Jean the main was yet again a favourite of hers, prawn biriyani. For me the lamb vindaloo, Dal Makhani and 2 tandoori roti.
Jean could not believe the quality of her biriyani claiming it to be the "best ever"!
The dal was rich and thick and full of flavour. It was also prepared exactly the right way from black (urid) dal. So many places use cheap masoor dal and then add a few red kidney beans to make it look darker.
The vindaloo contained nice sized pieces of very tender lamb and cubes of potato in an unctuous gravy. My only observation would be, that for my taste, it could have had more garlic and a little more chilli. but that is a personal thing.
The roti were, also to my taste, a bit on the thick side as I am used to them being rolled out a little more thinly. But they we nicely cooked and did the job of picking up the meat and sauce. I eat curry with my fingers a habit I have picked up from both my Arab and Indian friends.
All the dishes were beautifully presented, piping hot and once again I reiterate, totally genuine! They were also of very large proportions and we could not finish them off! If we were at home we would have had a "doggy bag"!
If you enjoy good, sorry, GREAT Indian food please book and go to this restaurant. You will not be disappointed!
The bill:
2 Roti €3.50
Medium Beer €3.50
Glass Red Wine €3
Total €41.40 (£35.43)
An excellent price for a superb and filling meal.
Peter & Jean. :o)

• Turkish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I lived in Cascais for three years and this was the best Indian Restaurant in the area. The staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited July 2012
england
“up there with the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

enjoyed a superb prawn madras here last weekend,and my wife rated her chilli chicken the best she had had anywhere, superb attention to service and a very high standard of food, I would highly recommend a visit here for al lovers of indian food if you are in the area.

• Visited June 2013
“Not your typical Indian?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

I'm nomally not the biggest fan of Indian restaurants, but for some reason I gave in and sat down at the Massala. At first I was overwheled to see the range of dishes on the meny, but our waiter to time to talk me though it so that we found a dish suitable for my sensitive palate. And I wasn't disapointed, the Lamb dish with vegetables and nan bread, was perfect. It's a bit cramped sitting outside but well worth it if you enjoy watching people passing in the street.

Tralee, Ireland
“best indian ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

as my title goes it was great, best indian I have tasted, starters, mains , desserts, flavours were fantastic, the staff were great, go early, books up quick

Visited May 2013