“Dom Pedro; Oh Dear!”

Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Typical portuguese cuisine. Fresh fish and portuguese style fish rice. Monday to Saturday.
Poole, United Kingdom
“Dom Pedro; Oh Dear!”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Dom Pedro
I do not like writing bad reviews and I think that my previous ones reflect this. However sometimes it is necessary. What makes it worse is when someone on TA has taken the time and trouble to recommend one of their favourites!
We had not had the time to book Dom Pedro and so were on the doorstep when they opened at 19:00. We thought we were lucky to obtain the last unreserved table.
We were quickly seated in the lovely, very traditional dining area, menus brought and drinks order taken. As we had stopped for a glass each of Porto Seco on the way to the restaurant, we ordered a carafe of house red. This turned out to be excellent. Nice and fruity and not overly dry.
Jean did not want a starter and satisfied her hunger with the bread, butter and small pots of sardine pâté. The bread was the one with lots of holes. Now we had eaten this for breakfast in the hotel so had a basis for comparison. The hotel bread was soft and fresh. The bread at Dom Pedro was not so fresh, being slightly dry. However it was edible so we did not say anything. I ordered the clams in garlic butter. This turned out to be a large bowl containing a generous portion of clams swimming in a sea of garlic butter. They were lovely, tender and juicy. I made use of the dry bread to sop up as much of the butter as possible.
For our main course Jean ordered the cubes of pork with clams and she asked for rice rather than chips. I ordered the pork ribs.
These came in good time. However, there was no rice on Jeans plate but a dish of chips on the side. The rice and more chips were on my plate. When I told her I would get it changed she said not to bother as she loves good chips anyway!
It turned out however that these were not good chips, they were frozen. A particular hate of mine!
Worse was to come. Whilst my ribs, four in number, were tasty they were rather salty. They were also a bit tough. Still I have my own teeth and quite like salt so said nothing and managed to eat most of them.
Jean's dish was another matter. There were seven or eight clam shells mixed in with a generous portion of pork cubes. The first problem was they were just that; shells. No mater how she tried she found only one clam. The pork cubes were another matter. They were so tough as to be uneatable! She cut a couple into tiny morsels but was still unable to chew them. She gave me one and I had to agree. We told the waiter (proprietor?) and to be fair, he did offer to have the dish cooked again but we declined. If a dish cannot be properly prepared the first time it is unlikely to be any better the second!
We decided to move elsewhere for coffee and cake and so asked for the bill.
I was a little surprised when the waiter said that following restaurant policy we had only been charged 1/2 for the offending dish. This is a policy they need to review and change! On the rare occasion that we have been totally unable to eat a dish we have not been charged for it at all! I have never before been charged 1/2 price for a dish that could not be eaten!
I am sorry to be so negative about this restaurant as I am sure this was just a temporary aboration and that on another night all would have been wonderful. But what really irked me was being charged 1/2 price for a meat that, if the chef had been on the ball, should never have reached the table in the first place.
Peter. :o(

• Visited June 2013
RodolfoCoelho, Owner at Restaurante Dom Pedro I, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

First of all let me thank you for the several positive remarks we made about our restaurant, and the night you were with us. In the next following lines i will only address the negative remarks, and try and explain ourselves for them, if explanation can be had.

You mention our bread, at comparison with the one you had at you hotel the morning of the same day, as being the one with holes, which is very vague, but i understand you probably don't know our bread that well. Be have our bread delivered fresh every morning from Carvalhar - Mafra , about 70kms away from Cascais, where it is baked in stone ovens with real wood embers, and not electric ovens. Our bread, although cut 8h before you had it, does have a specific though texture of the dough, the inside "côdea" a portuguese term, and this is intended. Our traditional portuguese bread is like this, and is most apreciated by almost all our customers, i am sorry it wasn't the case. Most places, as we did before, use the french-trend-bread of soft doughs and soft crust, so i suppose that could the comparison you were trying to make, and i don't hold it against you, it's something typical of ours and i guess it doesn't please everyone.

Just a little comment on the clams sir, and thank you very much for the positive comments on them, they are fried in olive oil, not butter, with garlic and coriander, and the quality of the clams is what makes the opaque, almost milk like, sauce you tasted.

I am sorry i didn't understand madam wanted the pork with clams served with rice, and if you had told me i certainly would have brought some fresh rice to your table in a minute.

The grilled pork ribs being salty i can only attribute to our typical usage of coarse rough seasalt in most of our grilled meats and fish, but again, i would have been happy to prepare again, and again until you were happy with it, i make no compromise in having my customers happy.

Now the pork with clams is a delicate matter. First of all, all the clams shells should have the little clams on the inside, or at least about in the sauce as it sometimes happen they cook and fall off their shells. The pork meat itself is prepare from the porks leg, and while it isn't as tender as pork filet, most people like it, but then again we had some problems before because sometimes we have customers who appreciate the meat tenderer and with less fat and this is a characteristic of the course it self, and yet again, and as you so well point out i would have done something else for madam to have, probably not the same course, but i would advise something more tender, or with less fat.

And i am sorry sir, but when i came to your table, if you had told me madam was so displeased with her dinner, and you aswell, specially because you hate prefried chips so much (which i had no idea of course or else i could have told very upfront they were frozen, as i do to everyone who asks), i wouldn't have offered you 50% of the madam's course, i would have offered your dinner. But again, you said the meat was tought and i should try it ( which i did) but it was ok, and madam did leave only 5 or 6 peaces of meat on the plate, three of which i cut, and one of which i tasted.

Just to finish, and i apologise for the lenghty reply Mr. Peter (may i call you by your name?), customer feedback is the best way to improve or change something in our service or food, and i thank you deeply for the effort in making your review, very detailed about everything and this helps me improve, but i just wish i had had this feedback in person, and this way i could have worked something out for you and not have ruined your night.

Again, thank you very much for coming by Dom Pedro's and i hope you will give us a second try sometime. Just in case you need to book you can email us at mail (at) dompedrocascais.com, and i'll make sure to get you a table reserved.

Rodolfo Coelho
Owner - Dom Pedro

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Ireland
“Simple food in a traditional setting.”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Difficult to find (follow the perimeter of the town hall building, it is at the back). Welcoming place with a simple menu. The food is mainly fish / lamb grilled. The setting is very traditional and staff very friendly. Good selection of Portuguese wine. Don't have high expectations, we loved the place for its unpretentiousness. Great value. Meal for 2 plus bottle of wine, water and 4 ports 47 euro.

Visited June 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

Dom Pedro is really a simple restaurant with simple food, and it as been the idea behind this the whole way. Loved the way you described us - unpretencious - and i believe this is the best term, we are not, and i think we will never be the best restaurant in town, but we aim to offer value in a typical "landscape" of expensive restaurant fronts.

Thank you again!

Ireland
“Fantastic, Lives up to all the Hype”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This is an excellent little restaurant located just off the main square in Cascais. The food is of a very high standard as is the service. I had a delicious dish of pork ribs and my wife had fillets of wreckfish. It was so good we returned the next day for lunch.

Our entire meal for 2 including the house wine came to €28. Hard to beat value like that!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank IrelandTravelmad
Thank you very much for your review.

We will take great pleasure in having you here again!

bath
“Still just as good”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We have been visiting Cascais over the last 10 years and we were lucky enough to have been recommended this restaurant by an ex-pat Cascais local that I work with. We try to visit whenever in town. This year we only had one night in town and arrived quite late but we were served with the friendly manner as always. I had Bacalao a bras..real comfort food. Meal for 2 with lovely home made pudim flan and bottle wine. 35 euros. Try their own piri piri oil if you dare! Be warned that there are building works so the steps up to restaurant are closed. just need to follow map on wall of building.

• Visited May 2013
Hi, and thank you very much for your review. We do try hard to live up to the very high standards my parents installed when they began this business almost 40 years ago. Sometimes we are able, sometimes we aren't. I am happy to see that in your case we were.

Thank you again for taking time to review us so positively.

Rodolfo Coelho

Owner - Manager
Broomfield, Colorado
“They do not take credit cards.”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I had the fried sole and it was very tasty. I sat outside and the eating area is quite large with big umbrellas . One thing I was unprepared for was that the restaurant does not take credit cards. It does state it on the menu. There is an ATM right next to the restaurant where you can get cash. Very nice meal and priced at about 20 dollars for a meal.

Visited June 2013
RodolfoCoelho, Owner at Restaurante Dom Pedro I, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

I believe some mistake could have been made sir/madam, as we don't have a terrace outside as of yet, we serve no fried sole and we have had ATM for the last 10years at least.

I think you could have reviewed the wrong restaurant.