“Warning! Not the kind of "4" star you are thinking of!!!!”
Review of Pestana Cascais

Pestana Cascais
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Cascais
Dublin
“Warning! Not the kind of "4" star you are thinking of!!!!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I'll start by saying I work hard all year and look forward to my summer holidays so we tend to book 4 to 5 star hotels to avoid disappointment. This year we got it wrong I'm sad to say.
I'll do bullet points and not bore you!
1. Rusty streak marks down Pestana sign (first appearance shabby had a bad feeling)
2. Coach couldn't fit in drive, we had to guide cases down hill to reception.
3. Room wasn't ready (5pm in the evening)
4. Room dated, 80's
Ok I'll be kind late 80's white with lovely red boarder.
5. Big bulky TV ( up grade was required for flat screen)
6. We asked for double bed and single, we got 2 singles and fold up bed , room cramped, again up grade required cost extra?
and hotel was full they say so no joy there.
7. We were giving complimentary dinner, it was a buffet, average food, cost usually €23 adult child €12.50
excluding drinks, so roughly €70 for 2 adults and one child self service,
8. Jacuzzi very small and too much chlorine so don't wear new swim wear!!!! they'll be bleached. The old jacuzzi is not a plant area so not what we seen in hotel photos.
8. Gymnasium ????
Ahem... Moving swiftly on.
9. Mini bus was a people carrier 8 max, always arguments with other guests on places...!!! Jeez

I can go on but think of your hard earned cash.
They was lots of throwing flowers at themselves ?????
I was amazed at that and the famous lobby comment book...
Yes indeedy....

I suppose people have different tastes but trust me on this one. I've stayed in lovely 4stars in Portugal in the past, alas this is not one.
The funny thing was when we were leaving waiting on coach I noticed the sign "apart hotel "
one of the 4 stars was hanging off .....
So be wise......

• Stayed July 2014
13 Thank Anthony5000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A good choice of hotel for visiting Cascais and the Lisbon coast. Although a little bit from the centre of the town, it is a nice walk to the town centre. The hotel has a nice ambiance, the staff were very courteous and professional and the rooms and public areas were clean. All in all, a good 4 star hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Philip M
Belgium
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Pestana Cascais did surprise us a little. It wasn't our first choice hotel, but because others were already full booked, we chose Pestana Cascais. It was absolutely better than we thought it would be, it was much more beautiful in real life than on the traveler's photos here. The room was very clean, not the modern style we usually pick, but it was neat and that's more important. The balcony was very lovely to sit outside in peace in the evening or when you want to read a book where it's not so noisy.

The breakfust was very good, a lot of choice, and delicious fresh fruit!

The pool was very nice, bigger than expected and very clean. We also thought it was really nice of the hotel that we didn't need to pay extra for the chairs by the pool (as it is in many other hotels) and we did get pool towels from the hotel which we needed to return afterwards.

The only little thing we found unfortunately was that the shuttle bus didn't drive in the weekend, so in the weekends you need to walk to the center (about 2 kilometres), grab a taxi or go by public bus. Not that it's a huge issue, but why not offer the shuttle bus service also in the weekends?

Overall, we really enjoyed Pestana Cascais!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dorien L
Dublin
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lying by the pool at the moment while a drill is buzzing in my ear. I've been here a few days and it's the same everyday. This is an expensive hotel and to put up with the drilling is not exceptable. Complaints have been made to reception and nothing has been done about it. Absolute disgrace!! Hotel is clean and staff are friendly. But apart from that it's out of the way from the town and the food is not great. Extremely disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Holslovers
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just returned from Hotel Pestana, it is the 5th time that my husband and I have stayed there, I think that speaks for itself! We love the Cascais area and the Pestana is an excellent hotel to stay in.
It is a 30 minute walk along by the cliff edge. If you like walking like we do there are lovely walks in the area either towards Estoril or to Guincho. There is a very good bus service so if the walking is too much then just hop on the bus!
The staff in the Pestana are very welcoming and helpful. I was having problems with my WI FI and one of the men in reception sorted it for me. Also there were some noisy boys (Iber Cup) in the room next to us, I mentioned it to Paula at reception and it was sorted immediately.
The breakfast in the hotel is very good,plenty of variety to suit all tastes, We havent eaten dinner there so I'm not sure what it is like.
Over the years we have discovered lots of genuine Portugese restaurants which are great value. Sometimes on the walk into town at night we go through the old town and definitely this is the place to eat, the food is excellent and it is so cheap, usually we have a starter to share, 2 main courses, and dessert each plus wine which costs €30 for 2 people.
Some areas of the hotel could do with a revamp but it doesnt bother us as it is kept very clean and the rooms are serviced every day.
There are plenty of sun beds both by the pool and in the garden. Again the pool area and the garden are always clean and tidy with no loud music.
We are already looking forward to our next stay in Pestana!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms get the sun in the evening
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EF_G5151
norwich
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I agree with PatNx. This hotel is certainly quiet and relaxing, and so are homes for the elderly. Again as per the previous review suggested, we would have been better off going somewhere more lively. Personally, I thought it ridiculous that the option of after dinner drinks outside with friends or family was not available as the doors were locked to the pool or garden area at 8pm sharp. ( I suppose we could have sat on the car park?! ) During the day there was no music loud or otherwise until I asked if I too could hear the music being played by a small radio at the bar. We traveled in a group of 10 including 4 teenagers who are used to behaving well - although I think being told not to play volley ball in the pool a bit extreme!! (this being the only available entertainment in 30+ degree heat),the pool is too cold and often empty, and as previously mentioned. the garden is extensive and so no need to sunbathe at the pool edge.

There is a minibus which provides transport between the hotel and Cascais (which incidentally is a good 45min walk away -and uphill coming back!!) but the minibus is usually full and a 20 min wait is required for it to take one load and return (assuming you will fit into the second run)

The food is NOT good - the only holiday that I have actually lost weight!! Breakfast is continental with the odd nod to full English, however the evening meal is not good value for money, being often unrecognizable, poor choice, and unpleasant. The restaurant is small and overcrowded with a wait for a table at peak times.

On a positive note, the hotel is situated in a decent area, the rooms are comfortable and clean, and on the whole the staff are friendly.

I feel it necessary to be as honest as possible, in the hope that those who...... do not have active children...... enjoy peace and quiet...... an early night......and are not too bothered about what they eat..... will find this hotel.........................and leave vacancies in the ones that are into living!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jslNorwich
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The review below by Charlotte L headed "If you like being bored this is the place for you" fails to recognise that some people actually like a hotel that is quiet and peaceful. My wife and I stayed at the hotel at the same time as Charlotte and found that it suited our needs. Yes, there is no music playing in the pool area, so you can sunbathe or read by the pool and in the extensive gardens in a quiet and relaxing environment. The bedrooms are also quiet at night so you will not be kept awake by late night drinkers or disco music. If someone is looking for a more "lively" hotel then I would suggest they choose a hotel in the centre of Cascais.
This was our second visit to the hotel and there is still room for improvement in the food buffet. The scrambled egg at breakfast is poor and the hot meat dishes at dinner are often unattractive.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple