In contrast to a lot of the reviews here, my girlfriend and I were very, very disappointed with our stay here.
From the very beginning, we did not enjoy our visit. When we arrived we were shown to a room with twin beds, rather than a double despite obviously us being a couple.
We raised the issue with staff (whose attitude was surly and unhelpful), and their first solution was to shove the two beds together. That might be acceptable in one star, but Fortaleza is presenting itself as a five star hotel and charging a hefty premium based on this and it was not acceptable. Eventually and extremely reluctantly, they moved us to the room beside the reception desk.
After that irksome incident, my partner and I decided to try the Jacuzzi bath. Unfortunately, the plumbing had not been cleaned in sometime, and the pumps spit out a constant stream of dirty water. Figuring that they had not been used in awhile, I cleaned the bath and ran the Jacuzzi a further two times. Frustratingly, the outcome was still the same. Frankly after fighting earlier with the staff for double bed, I decided to let the issue rest as I didn’t want the aggravation.
The next day, we decided to rent the two bikes available in the front office. Almost Faulty Tower like, they were badly maintained and very rickety.
I was very disappointed with the place, particularly the attitude of the staff at the reception, who were rude, and unfriendly.
This was in stark contrast to the staff in restaurant, and the head barman, both of which deserve credit for their friendly and professional service.
In fact the only reason I would visit the hotel again is for the restaurant, which was superb. If the rest of the hotel was of the same standard as the restaurant, I would have no hesitation in recommending it, however it wasn't and I would not.
My girlfriend summed it up best when she described it as being five star in price, and second rate in service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leaning over the Atlantic Ocean, the Fortaleza do Guincho welcomes a charming five star boutique hotel - integrated into in the prestigious Relais & Chateaux association - with a range of services that focus on the well being and peacefulness of the customers. The Hotel's restaurant, awarded with a Michelin Star, offers an unforgettable dining experience of Portuguese cuisine, made from the finest national products. The Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho has a warm and personalized service, making it the ideal place for a family holiday, board meetings or the perfect refuge for a romantic getaway. It has the perfect conditions for company meetings, special parties and events or banquets. Located just seven kilometers from the town of Cascais and 30 kilometers from Lisbon and the International Airport, the cultural and leisure offer in the region is rich and full of varieties. Along the cost line you will find Sintra and its magnificent monuments and natural landscape, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For sea lovers abound beaches along the coast and all kinds of water sports and outdoor activities . The Hotel is surrounded by the best golf courses, while the Estoril Casino, the largest in Europe, is just a few minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, TravelUp, Booking.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fortaleza do Guincho reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Cascais
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Hotel Cascais