“Very disappointing”

Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Cascais
Dublin, Ireland
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

In contrast to a lot of the reviews here, my girlfriend and I were very, very disappointed with our stay here.
From the very beginning, we did not enjoy our visit. When we arrived we were shown to a room with twin beds, rather than a double despite obviously us being a couple.
We raised the issue with staff (whose attitude was surly and unhelpful), and their first solution was to shove the two beds together. That might be acceptable in one star, but Fortaleza is presenting itself as a five star hotel and charging a hefty premium based on this and it was not acceptable. Eventually and extremely reluctantly, they moved us to the room beside the reception desk.

After that irksome incident, my partner and I decided to try the Jacuzzi bath. Unfortunately, the plumbing had not been cleaned in sometime, and the pumps spit out a constant stream of dirty water. Figuring that they had not been used in awhile, I cleaned the bath and ran the Jacuzzi a further two times. Frustratingly, the outcome was still the same. Frankly after fighting earlier with the staff for double bed, I decided to let the issue rest as I didn’t want the aggravation.

The next day, we decided to rent the two bikes available in the front office. Almost Faulty Tower like, they were badly maintained and very rickety.

I was very disappointed with the place, particularly the attitude of the staff at the reception, who were rude, and unfriendly.
This was in stark contrast to the staff in restaurant, and the head barman, both of which deserve credit for their friendly and professional service.
In fact the only reason I would visit the hotel again is for the restaurant, which was superb. If the rest of the hotel was of the same standard as the restaurant, I would have no hesitation in recommending it, however it wasn't and I would not.

My girlfriend summed it up best when she described it as being five star in price, and second rate in service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Brian M
Guincho0, Director of Sales at Fortaleza do Guincho, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Good afternoon from Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho,

We sincerely apologize for what happened and for not matching your expectations.

In what regards the double bed, I have to say that we try as much as we can to allocate double beds to couple, but unfortunately when the Hotel is totally fully booked sometimes it is not possible.

Regarding the Jacuzzi, I only can apologize.
Saying that, I can assure you that we are going to check what is wrong, and make sure that won't happen again.

Still I would like to thank you very much for the nice compliments you have made about the restaurant and the bar.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in order to show you that we can do much better.

Our best regards for 2014.
Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Wow where to start, I treated my girlfriend to a break away to the Fortaleza for her birthday and was our first 5* experience. The service was truly 5* from the moment we arrived we did not have to open a door in the hotel, bags were taken from us and the staff were so friendly and helpful.

We was shown to our room (which we was upgraded to on arrival) up a grand stair case and into a lovely room with the most beautiful views of the beach, cliffs and sea. Everything was clean and beautifully presented. Room was very much in keeping with the hotels fort design. Fully stocked mini bar which was not too expensive.

The location of the hotel is out the way a bit but was perfect for us, we went to Cascais 3 times during our stay and taxi prices varied from 7-10euros eachway which we thought was quite reasonable.

On our last night we ate in the restaurant which was a fantastic experience, loved the fine dinning and again the service was outstanding. This was also where you eat the beautiful breakfast with even more amazing views of the waves crashing onto the rocks.

Will hopefully be back at some point. Perfect break away, (it helped the weather was beautiful for time of year 15degreesC and no wind)

Room Tip: Room with balcony have amazing views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel R
Guincho0, Director of Sales at Fortaleza do Guincho, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Good morning from Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho,

We would like to thank you very much for your kind words about our property; we really hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again at Fortaleza do Guincho.

Will take that opportunity to wish to the TripAdvisor community a very Happy Christmas and all our best wishes for 2014.

Best regards from all of us.
Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho
Washington DC
Reviewed 2 December 2013

There’s not much I can add to the other amazing reviews, so I’ll keep it simple. From the outside, Fortaleza do Guincho looks like a squat beige box peppered with too many flags… and then you walk inside. One look at the gorgeous tiling, floral centerpiece, and vaulted ceilings makes even a ragged traveler feel regale.

The hotel is small, private, intimate, and welcoming. I have no idea how Fortaleza do Guincho manages to strike such a wonderful balance between luxury and lack of pretention. Despite it being at the high-end of my budget, I would gladly go back to listen to the waves crash while I sleep at night and to sun myself in the private sunroom in my room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SambaDC
Guincho0, Director of Sales at Fortaleza do Guincho, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Hi good afternoon from Fortaleza do Guincho,

Thank you very much for your nice comment about Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho and for sharing with the TirpAdvisor community your feeling about our Hotel.

It is always a matter of joy to know that our client have enjoyed the stay in our Hotel.

Warm regards from Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho
Hay
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Beautiful location on the rocks about four miles from Cascais.
Room was marvellous very large bed with sea views. Everything very clean and very good room service, even down to a complimentary half bottle of port on arrival and chocolates on the pillow every day. Plenty of lounge rooms with great seaviews also same views for breakfast !
There are two beaches either side of the hotel and just come back temperatures of 20 degrees in November can get breezy as well
Breakfast buffet was extensive, choice of eggs cooked in various fashions, cold meats, cheeses , pastries, fruit, Yoghurt etc. Very attentive and friendly waiting staff.
Couple of points. You really need a hire car. There does seem to be a bus service outside hotel but is isolated so transport essential. There are eating facilities in the hotel and about four restaurants within a few hundred metres. I’m sure the food is excellent but at 40 euros plus for a main course it was a little rich if you are as cash strapped as me !
Great position for trips to Cascais (plenty of eateries) Sintra, Lisbon etc or for just chilling. For the more energetic the wind surfing looked good (don’t know if you can hire).
I would certainly go back and pretty good short break deals if you search on line.

Room Tip: We were on the North side was above the Kitchens so there was a little extractor noise but far from...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank witchfindergeneral
Guincho0, Director of Sales at Fortaleza do Guincho, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Good morning from Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho,

First of all we want to thank you for sharing with the TripAdvisor community your felling about our property.

It is always a matter of joy to learn that our guests have enjoyed the stay with us; we are sorry that you have not tried our one star Michelin restaurant, but we do understand your point of view, still we would like to point out that a cheaper meal can be taken in area bar or terrace.

Just a quick word for the lovers of wind and waves, there is a school of Kate surfing, Wind surfing and surfing one minute way from the Hotel.

Should you come to Portugal again, please let us know and I will be happy to invite you for a meal in our area bar.

Best regards from Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the night on my way to Algarve «south of Portugal» in mid-July. I travel all the time, and I can assure you this hotel is perfect. The room was impeccable, with a full mini-bar, room service was fast and the continental breakfast had all one could crave for. I stayed with my wife and the architectural and design of the hotel adds a touch of romance that is acompanied by the ocean sound along the secluded and private area of where it is located. I will return again for sure I can recomend this hotel to anyone with the guarantee that they will not be disappointed. One thing only the hotel needs to invest in, is a swimming pool, but then again the beach is only a minute away.

Room Tip: Try to book ahead of time, July is quite a busy time of the year and full ocean view rooms aren'...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Guincho0, Director of Sales at Fortaleza do Guincho, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Hi good morning from Hotel do Guincho,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our Hotel; we are always so pleased to know that our guests have enjoyed the stay with us.

We really hope to welcome you again at Fortaleza do Guincho.

Best regards from Hotel do Guincho
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a fabulous hotel, overlooking the cliffs of Guincho, a true love nest for a romantic mini holidays... I just loved our stay there, in every detail. Friendly staff, very professional, definitely will return. Also, they have the most amazing restaurant, do not miss it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alyson C
Guincho0, Director of Sales at Fortaleza do Guincho, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Good afternoon from Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho,

Just a quick email to thank your for your kind words about our property; I really hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.

I remain at your entire disposal for any further information.
Best regards.
Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho Relais & Chateaux
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights. Reception and staff are well trained and are very helpfull. Our room was great. The restaurant exeeded our expectations. Food was of top standard and well presented. The beach is nearby as well as other small restaurants.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil n
Guincho0, Director of Sales at Fortaleza do Guincho, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Good morning from Hotel do Guincho,

First of all I would like to thank you for your nice comments about Hotel do Guincho.

We really hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again; please be sure that we will do our best to make your stay as pleasant as the first time.

Best regards.