We were shocked at the poor service and how the hotel could sell rooms with a horrible sewer smell to then play dumb. The hotel seemed to be cutting corners to save costs on a summer Sunday with only one person at check in. We were not given a single piece of information about the hotel - we were rushed to our room, didnt even know there were bikes to rent, were not informed about a huge concert in town that would disrupt traffic. The cab drives were a hundred times more friendly and helpful!
When we returned from dinner at 11pm there was this horrible sewer smell which the hotel had been trying to mask by spraying and using a cheap electric scented plug. I was so upset that it was the same person at check in to then play dumb - 'how could you give me a room with a sewer smell' - he played dumb and I said im not paying and going to leave - he then said let me call my manager. As i was about to book another hotel, he managed to find another room after having commented the hotel was sold out and credited the night.
I am sorry but there is clearly an issue here if they were so fast to credit. I think Relais Chateau should do an unannounced visit (on a Sunday non wedding event) as I do not believe this hotel adheres to their strict operational code. How can a hotel stay open with such a sewer smell. Hotel management should be ashamed of themselves. They must hire in outside help for weddings and those giving complements must have paid a reduced rate (or free) because what we experienced was a 2 star service at best. We stay at RC's up to 3 times a month and agreed this was our worst experience - not even a free night made it feel any better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leaning over the Atlantic Ocean, the Fortaleza do Guincho welcomes a charming five star boutique hotel - integrated into in the prestigious Relais & Chateaux association - with a range of services that focus on the well being and peacefulness of the customers. The Hotel's restaurant, awarded with a Michelin Star, offers an unforgettable dining experience of Portuguese cuisine, made from the finest national products. The Hotel Fortaleza do Guincho has a warm and personalized service, making it the ideal place for a family holiday, board meetings or the perfect refuge for a romantic getaway. It has the perfect conditions for company meetings, special parties and events or banquets. Located just seven kilometers from the town of Cascais and 30 kilometers from Lisbon and the International Airport, the cultural and leisure offer in the region is rich and full of varieties. Along the cost line you will find Sintra and its magnificent monuments and natural landscape, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For sea lovers abound beaches along the coast and all kinds of water sports and outdoor activities . The Hotel is surrounded by the best golf courses, while the Estoril Casino, the largest in Europe, is just a few minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Fortaleza do Guincho reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Cascais
- Fortaleza Do Guincho Hotel Cascais